Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 10th, 2006, 11:24 PM

Anyone know how to decipher tattoes on dogs?

Okay, i think i worded the subject line kinda crappy... but what I wanted to know was, if anyone of you knows what the letters on dogs tattoes mean? CKC meanings sspecifically.

I am trying to find out what breeder my Sheltie came from. I know the breeder is in Ontario but thats about it so far. The tattoo is kinda faded so I am trying to figure out maybe what each letter may mean and see if certain letters make sense as opposed to others.

I know the last two letters and number mean the year of birth, which in his case is 1E (which means 95) But thats it.

Any help anyone?
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Here's some info:
---------------------------------

Canadian Kennel Club (CKC): (416) 675-5511. Dogs bred in Canada and registered with the Canadian Kennel Club are generally tattooed in one ear or the flank. The tattoo is made up of three parts. First is a three character letter-number sequence which is the identification code of the breeder. This is followed by a number which is generated sequentially and refers to the number of dogs the breeder has registered that year, this is followed by a letter representing the year the dog was born. These letters are determined by CKC and some letters are not used. The most significant part is the initial, three character letter-number sequence. This identifies the breeder. An example of a CKC number: 7MR 1 C.
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:41 AM

my new dog lady has some kind of tattoo too. but i dont think its from a breeder. i dont know what it is. its on her stomach right in the area where a dog would be spayed. it is a cross (just 2 small lines intersecting). i thought that maybe it meant that she had been spayed or maybe its from where she was microchiped. anyone have any idea?
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Bungle
Okay, i think i worded the subject line kinda crappy... but what I wanted to know was, if anyone of you knows what the letters on dogs tattoes mean? CKC meanings sspecifically.

I am trying to find out what breeder my Sheltie came from. I know the breeder is in Ontario but thats about it so far. The tattoo is kinda faded so I am trying to figure out maybe what each letter may mean and see if certain letters make sense as opposed to others.

I know the last two letters and number mean the year of birth, which in his case is 1E (which means 95) But thats it.

Any help anyone?
Actually, you can really call the CKC and ask who the breeder is from the first three letters. They will tell you. However, I make it sound very simple... but you must get a hold of someone first, and then try not to be put off by the tone of voice... CKC is not known to be very friendly...
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:54 AM

Inverness, its funny you should say that

I actually caleld them today , got a hold of osmeone, but they wouldnt go through my list, they basically wanted me to be sure of what the code was, which i cant, becuase its faded.. So I dont know what to do, im still at the same place as I started . I am hoping to call back and get someone else who isnt so lazy to take 5 minutes out of theyre day to type in more than one code and check for me
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
its on her stomach right in the area where a dog would be spayed. it is a cross (just 2 small lines intersecting). i thought that maybe it meant that she had been spayed or maybe its from where she was microchiped. anyone have any idea?
That was probably done at a shelter, so anyone adopting the dog would know she's been spayed.

My dog has a tattoo from a shelter too. It's on her thigh.
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:55 AM
-

How old is the dog. Many dogs are no longer being tatooed and some breeders who didn't trust the new identification did both. Tatoo and microchip. Check to see if the dog was microchipped and if so you can probably get the info you are looking for.
Old February 11th, 2006, 02:36 PM

"That was probably done at a shelter, so anyone adopting the dog would know she's been spayed."

I thought this too but she was spayed after she was adopted by her new owners.
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Mrs Bungle,do you have the CKC registation certificate?

If you do,it will have the kennel name of both the Sire and Dam.

heather,the microchip is placed in the neck area.
Old February 11th, 2006, 09:53 PM

Hey Mona

No, I got the dog from a family member but she says that the breeder never sent her the papers or something like she was supposed to ( or they moved before it came in the mail, im not sure ) and it was 11 years ago so they dont seem to recall teh exact name of the breeder.. so im kinda outta luck right now, since i cant tell the exact letters/numbers on his tat
Old February 12th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Ohhhhhh Ok.

Well then I guess you are out of luck,unfortunately.

Trons tat is fading.Guess that happens with age...LOL