Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:54 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Euthanize or dump?

So a recent thread and an article I ran across while googling a while ago has got me thinking.....
If you have to give up your dog/cat for any reason (or you just want to dump it) do you feel it better to take dog/cat to a shelter or to the vet to have it humanely euthanized?
Just curious as to people's reactions.
In my situation I am praying I am around long enough to see each of mine live a long and happy life. But the powers that be sometimes have different ideas. I can't imagine ever having to give any of them up.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; June 22nd, 2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

it would depend on the animal I suppose, an elderly pet say at the end of its life that is on expensive meds, I'd have humanely put down. a young animal I'd probably call a rescue I work with. But if you also mean if something happened to hubs and I and the dog was left without us, its in our will where Brina and Timothy will live and a certain amount of money is left for their care
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

14+,that's a very difficult question
If I was an animal,I probably would say,ok dump me you jerk,I'll take my chances,I want to live
I would think,anyone heartless enough to dump an animal,or leave him behind when they move,have absolutely no feelings for that animal,just don't care,I doubt they would spend the money to have him killed.
I don't want any healthy animal to be killed,but I know I am living in La-La-Land
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:31 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

only once have i ever had to leave an animal behind..We had two large breed dogs and when my ex and I split I left my old boy with my ex so as to not disrupt his life in his old age any more than was neccessary. He died at the ripe old age of 19 at home with his kitty and pupper siblings at his side. Today I would do the same thing again. I would do my best to make sure that my friend had the best home possible or change my plans to move.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:40 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Such a tough question. I thikn it really depends on the situation/animal. For example, our oldest dog Thorin. He is the sweetest dog I've ever owned. He wouldn't harm a hair on our heads and when hubby is away on business, he sleeps in hubbys spot. He's my giant stuffy. However, when it comes to anyone else, he isn't the nicest dog. We went about it wrong and didn't socialize him at all. We can't even board him as he won't eat or drink while we're gone (tried once and he almost died). I think he would have to be put down.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I think what I'm getting at is that how many people would dump in a shelter if they knew the cat/dogs' chances of being adopted was very very small. The older the pet the less the chance? Dogs already have a much better chance at being adopted than cats (according to the stats from our local shelter) but that still isn't good. It is truly beyond my comprehension how anyone can take a pet they have looked after (and supposedly loved) to a shelter and not look back.
As Melinda said - finding a rescue would be a much better answer but - coming from BenMax and my personal knowledge - rescues are filled to overflowing. I know personally with 36 kitties the most I could handle is maybe four more. Maybe..... Even at that the introductions would have to be over a long period of time. If I had a larger area that I could use (hubby would shoot me) and financial help I could take more. C'mon big lottery win!!!
But it kills me to think of the number of animals that are turned in at shelters or, worse, dumped in the country to become someone else's problem or coyote bait. It kills me I can't do more.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I know personally with 36 kitties the most I could handle is maybe four more. It kills me I can't do more.
Unfortunately, you can't save them all. You should be very proud, and the rest of us very thankful for what you have already done. 36 kitties is a HUGE responsibility. You're an
Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't classify going to a shelter and surrender your pet "dumping" it. I would call it a responsible pet owner, at least they are giving their pet a second chance. if for some reason that animal is put down, at least it had a humane death. If you know you are going to a shelter that euths alot, then they should go to a reputable rescue. I classify dumping an animal, either leaving it behind when you leave, dropping it off the side of the road, etc.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:21 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
I wouldn't classify going to a shelter and surrender your pet "dumping" it. I would call it a responsible pet owner, at least they are giving their pet a second chance. if for some reason that animal is put down, at least it had a humane death. If you know you are going to a shelter that euths alot, then they should go to a reputable rescue. I classify dumping an animal, either leaving it behind when you leave, dropping it off the side of the road, etc.
Ahh see, and there is the crux of it, isn't it Noah Grey? You may have worked at "the best" shelter in Ontario. But recent events have proven that the organization we think is there to protect animals really hasn't been following their mandate. How many more in how many provinces and/or states are the same?
Let's do a "what if". What if I took a twelve year old cat that is clearly suffering from some illness, an illness that would be very easily fixed with proper care and medication, to a high kill shelter. I didn't know it was a high kill. I thought I was being a responsible pet owner by turning over a cat I could no longer look after. What chances do you think that cat would have? Seriously, what chance? Put aside your personal feelings for the wonderful shelter you worked at and see what answer you come up with.
"What if" I had a dog that loved his people and others once it got to know them but was not tolerant of strangers? What chance does that dog have of making it past the first couple of days?
I think of that person on the news recently who had taken his cat to a certain shelter. News was leaked and it turns out his cat was about to be put down. Look at the outrage he showed. Did he have the right to show outrage? After all, he had surrendered his cat. Is it suddenly their fault because he turned his cat in?
I don't know. There are no simple answers. I just wanted to see how others felt.
Edited to add: How about the shelters who still use gas chambers ? Would you call that a humane death NG? Or the vet called in to euth rushed through it just to get the job done? I'm sure others can think of many more deaths at shelters that are far from humane.

Last edited by 14+kitties; June 22nd, 2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:23 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
Unfortunately, you can't save them all. You should be very proud, and the rest of us very thankful for what you have already done. 36 kitties is a HUGE responsibility. You're an
Actually, it's been a few more than that. But thanks anyway. I know we can't save them all. Just interested in other's thoughts.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Floppy Dog

I've lived with pets all my life. Had dogs when I was a kid, cats as an adult and now that my daughter is old enough to understand and share the responsiblity, have both a dog and cat.

In the first place, I couldn't imagine going somewhere without my pets. But, let's say I moved somewhere where they had to quarantine my pets and they weren't likely to survive the process (I'm thinking the 6-month quarantine for the UK here) or some country which doesn't approve of pets (eg. Iran). I would call in every favour every one of my friends owed me to find them a good home. And, I'd keep in touch with the new owners to make sure that my pets were well looked after, loved and cared for. If that didn't work, I'd have to go for euthanization, even though it would break my heart and I would be a basket case for weeks afterwards.

The way I look at it, my pets are a lifetime responsiblity. If I can no longer ensure their safety, health and general well being then the only thing I can do as a responsible pet owner is take them to the vet, and hold them while they get their shot and have my face be the last thing they see and my arms be the last thing they feel. There's no way I could live with myself if I thought my pets would ever experience a moment of anxiety or stress because their humans have left them in a shelter or rescue centre on the chance that they would be adopted.

And that is not to reflect badly on all of you who work at shelters and rescue centres and who advocate for pets. I have so much respect for your dedication and courage because you are all doing a job that I cannot do. I couldn't deal with the heartbreak of knowing there are more animals out there in need of help then there are resources available to help them.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I feel pets are a very personal responsiblity. If I ever have to euthanize a healthy pet because I can no longer take care of it, I will deal with the emotional fall out and the self-inflicted guilt trip. My pets will not have to face the consequences of my cowardliness.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:27 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy Dog View Post
And that is not to reflect badly on all of you who work at shelters and rescue centres and who advocate for pets. I have so much respect for your dedication and courage because you are all doing a job that I cannot do. I couldn't deal with the heartbreak of knowing there are more animals out there in need of help then there are resources available to help them.
Well put Floppy Dog. Obviously something you have thought of often.
Just to set your mind at rest - The rescues I know do not euthanize unless it is a case of uncurable illness, aggression, or old age. The folks who foster for the rescues do so with the knowledge that there may never be a home for the pet(s) they are fostering. My kitties are just that. My kitties. They are going no where unless I can find the absolute perfect home for them. Many will not be going anywhere anyways as they are semiferals and run from strangers.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
-

I would hope if something happens to me , members from pets.ca would adopt my pets.

if I'm still alive , and can't keep them for whatever reason , I would place them in rescues that I know , and would ask to be included in the decision / choosing their future families. I would need to be 100% sure they would be well treated.

just thinking about it ... ouch , that would kill me. mostly with Nelly and Sienna , I don't know how they would do in another home. And Jack too actually ... he's not always clean in the house , I would be afraid that his new family wouldn't be patient with him.

Last edited by Frenchy; June 22nd, 2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:38 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I would hope if something happens to me , members from pets.ca would adopt my pets.

if I'm still alive , and can't keep them for whatever reason , I would place them in rescues that I know , and would ask to be included in the decision / choosing their future families. I would need to be 100% sure they would be well treated.

just thinking about it ... ouch , that would kill me. mostly with Nelly and Sienna , I don't know how they would do in another home. And Jack too actually ... he's not always clean in the house , I would be afraid that his new family wouldn't be patient with him.
You know we would.
Dibs on the kitties. (waving) And Jack too! I've been cleaning dog pee for the last year anyway with Keesha.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:39 PM
-

Quote:
You know we would.
Dibs on the kitties. (waving)
I was hoping you'd say that
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:42 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
I was hoping you'd say that
I got your back mf. But neither of us are going anywhere any time soon.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:43 PM
-

Thanks 14+

Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:48 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Nelly and Sienna are mine then...
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Nelly and Sienna are mine then...

that leaves Churchill ...
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:05 PM
-

if i've moved by then i'll take him too
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

that leaves Churchill ...
Mine! Mine! Mine! ALL MINE!!
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
if i've moved by then i'll take him too
Darn I type too slow!!

PLEASE can't I have him... Nolie says she would be happy to have a big brother to keep her company

.... but Frenchy, don't get any ideas, we're not trying to get rid of you or anything
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Senior Contributor

really, in response to the original question...

I would do everything in my power to find a good home for any animal in my care, my heart would be forever broken though. I can only say, from having adopted a few second chance pets, that sometimes second chance lives work out to be not too bad for the animals (well, I hope my animals have agreed with that statement anyways ). Euthanizing a healthy animal just seems so..... unfair. No possibility of a second chance life if you're dead

Horribly hard question you ask though
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:22 PM
150% PRO S/N

We've done a great job of finding Frenchy's pets homes!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
really, in response to the original question...

I would do everything in my power to find a good home for any animal in my care, my heart would be forever broken though. I can only say, from having adopted a few second chance pets, that sometimes second chance lives work out to be not too bad for the animals (well, I hope my animals have agreed with that statement anyways ). Euthanizing a healthy animal just seems so..... unfair. No possibility of a second chance life if you're dead

Horribly hard question you ask though
It seems like those who rescue are heading to rescues as their choice. Maybe I should have made the question harder by saying you can't take them to a rescue.
Loving the answers thus far. I think occassionally it does us good to have to think beyond tomorrow......

Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
We've done a great job of finding Frenchy's pets homes!!!!!!
Now.... we just have to work on finding French a home

Quote:
It seems like those who rescue are heading to rescues as their choice. Maybe I should have made the question harder by saying you can't take them to a rescue.
Loving the answers thus far. I think occassionally it does us good to have to think beyond tomorrow......
Hmmmm, if I only had to choose between a shelter and euthanasia??
Oh Dear, Oh Dear, PLEASE don't let life EVER put me in that situation!!! (it never would, i'd kill myself trying to find other options... if I wasn't around, the people who know me know enough that they would have to find my critters homes, good homes otherwise i'd haunt them forever )

Sigh... i'd still go with a shelter, it's a chance
Old June 22nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I suppose I am lucky. If I died tomorrow my sister would take my dogs. I occassionally tell her what I'd like her to do with them, also what they are being fed and which dogs are getting med's. Just in case. If she were not there I know that the Sheltie Club have a Rescue service and would take them in. They are super careful about where shelties go. The demand for sheltie pups far outstrips the supply here, so there are always people wanting pups or older shelties too. I would not expect my hubby to keep them, especially given that he has never groomed a dog in his life. He has bad health nowadays anyway and wouldn't cope.
As for my dear old cattle dogs, I'd want to have them put down here at home by my own vet and be buried here. They are near enough 14 years old. Perkins will only eat for me, he's the sort of dog that didn't even like Ian or anyone holding his lead at shows and would take a flying leap back to me if he could catch them offguard . He would fret badly. Cuddles is a dangerous, dog aggressive girl even in her old age, she has had back problems and has a very low pain threshold, I don't think I would trust anyone to be careful enough with her, to see she didn't hurt another dog or get hurt herself.
Actually, if I get a young cattle dog after I lose the old pair, I do have friends who would give it a home if need be, but then I wouldn't take on another dog if that wasn't the case. I don't want any of mine in a shelter. (other than sheltie rescue)
Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:10 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Now.... we just have to work on finding French a home

Ain't that the truth!

Hmmmm, if I only had to choose between a shelter and euthanasia??
Oh Dear, Oh Dear, PLEASE don't let life EVER put me in that situation!!! (it never would, i'd kill myself trying to find other options... if I wasn't around, the people who know me know enough that they would have to find my critters homes, good homes otherwise i'd haunt them forever )

Sigh... i'd still go with a shelter, it's a chance
I pray for the same. God willing, or whatever higher power you believe in, it won't happen.

Goldfields - I find it interesting that you listed exactly what you would do with your dogs. But I know you have a cat or cats as well. And please do not state your hubby. What if you go together?

Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:17 PM

Such a tough question!

Such a tough question, 14+

I pray I am never in such a situation to make such a tough decision. For me, pets are forever, so I really struggle to ever see myself having to give up one of my pets. That being said, things to do happen... in the rare event something beyond my control happened I would first exhaust all my other options... i.e. give to a family member or close friend.

For me, it would depend upon the circumstances. I lean towards shelter, but it would depend on the shelter... if they euthanize, what their adoption policies are, etc.

It would also depend on the health of my dogs. If they were older and their quality of life already suffering, I would humanely PTS at the vet so I could be there to hold them.

This is a really hard question, and for me not a black & white answer.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:25 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiek View Post
Such a tough question, 14+
This is a really hard question, and for me not a black & white answer.
That is the way I feel too. It would depend on the circumstances at the time as well. I don't think many people could answer truthfully.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
That is the way I feel too. It would depend on the circumstances at the time as well. I don't think many people could answer truthfully.
It's such a tough question, but thank you for starting the thread, it really has made a lot of us think. I just hope I am never faced with such a decision.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama