Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pet product reviews - dog products > Cat product reviews

Old April 8th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Kitty Litter Question

Has anyone ever used or have an opinion on this litter?

http://www.gpcpet.com/

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 8th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Has anyone ever used or have an opinion on this litter?
Yup, I've used World's Best Cat Litter before. It's corn based and has excellent clumping abilities, yet won't stick to the litter box. Some people don't think it has good enough odor control but I thought it worked great (but I also scoop the box 2 or 3 times a day and I only have one cat). I thought it was hands down better than clay clumping litter, and more environmentally friendly. It is more expensive, although you use less.

Couple of warnings: some cats like to eat it and it can possibly attract certain bugs depending on where you live.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 8th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Bugs? what kind?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 9th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Bugs? what kind?
I don't actually know, and it never happened to me during the couple years that I used it. The people I've heard that had issues with bugs returned the bags to the pet store for a refund, although it was never determined if the bugs were already in the bag or were attracted to the litter after it was opened.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 9th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston,I absolutely refuse to pay $39+tax for a large bag of litter
I still use clumping clay(Costco's).
I scoop often and change the entire litter every two weeks.
I got turned off WBCL by on of my sons room-mates,he used it and hardly ever scooped,every time I visited my son,I took out a huge clump and the litter was all over the house,the smell was awful.
However that room-mate was neglectful,an extreem example
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston, don't let the name fool you. I bought this when Vlad was still a kitty. I found it to be terrible at odor control. And if I found it bad when I only had one kitten, I don't even want to imagine what my apartment would smell like with 5 grown cats.

I use Swheat Scoop and scoop once a day. I change my three boxes every two weeks, and refill in-between. When I can, I buy the Multiple cat swheat scoop, because it does clump faster and firmer. Swheat scoop is about $10 for a 14lb box, so it's not cheap for me, but so far it's the best thing I've found at keeping odor down, and my cats are okay with the way it feels. It is also dye and chemical free, so I like that.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I do use Costco's Simplicity Clumping Litter and have used that for years! what I hav enoticed lately is the amount of dust it has! it is alot! I use 2 litter boxes and the only time I notice any odour is if one of the cats doesnt cover their poop!

Its just the amount of dust that it has. I asked of the other because I was watching a friends cat and he uses this one? I never noticed any odour but it was really messy outside the box!..he said he was told it was good?

thanks for all the info
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Awfully expensive for litter..

I also am always trying to find a good litter that will minimize the odour. I have this sprinkle stuff (sorry forget the name) manufactured here in Quebec and it really actually works.

Nevertheless, I am still in search of that miracle litter that has less dust and more active odour control.
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Benmax have you tried costco's ? it has a blue ingrediant mixed into the litter I forget what it is but its for odour control. Other than being dusty I have never noticed any odour.

Having said that I also think it makes a difference where you put the litter box in your home for being able to smell it??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

Having said that I also think it makes a difference where you put the litter box in your home for being able to smell it??
I have to tell you that I did try Costco but I did not like it. I am a little picky I guess.

Having 4 cats, I scoop the boxes every 3 to 4 times a day. I clean the litter boxes completely twice a week. So I go through alot of litter. (1 litter box is cleaned only once a week completely...).

I live in a condo that is not huge and indeed the litter is tucked away in a closet but let me tell you - when that persian of mine poops - that odour knocks you out no matter where you are.. And it gets scooped as quickly as it came out......

Last edited by BenMax; April 10th, 2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something.
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I hear ya! I found that the change between Venison and Duck with my 2 almost killed me scooping it!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

we too have been on the litter hunt as well and have yet to find the perfect litter.

So far the best for odor control (and we have tried practically everything you fab members have suggested except the pine stuff which we cannot find) seems to be Special Kitty (non clumping). It's a weird litter though in that it is made of silica beads that look like teeny balls the size of barley except that they are clear. When the silica beads are too "used" they change colour.

The only downside is that they bounce and sometimes you can hear us stepping on them. It doesn't "track" as much as some of the other litters but it does track a bit. We found it at wall mart in Canada.

This is by far the best odor reducing litter we have tried. We have 2 cats that use the same litterbox without issues.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter