Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 28th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Unhappy Is my cat in heat and spraying or is it something else?

I have an 11 year old male cat and I just got it neuterd 2 days ago.
Before I got him neutered the following was my observation:

-sometimes he urinates just outside the litter box and other areas of the room
-he waits for me to change the litter before he pees or poos in it again the second time
-he squats when he pees in other areas other than the inside of the litter box
-the urine smells very unpleasant and unbearable
-he meows a lot
-likes to hang around the window lately

Do you think the cat was in heat and spraying or is it something else?
If he is, what are the chances of this behaviour stopping?
Is there any medical procedure (surgery) or treatment that can eliminate the unbearable smell?

I hope you guys can help me on this one. Thanks a lot.
Old July 28th, 2004, 05:53 PM

i am not the most knowledgable with cats but. Males do not go into heat females do. Sounds like he needs to go to the vet. COuld be an UTI or in pain from surgery. Call or take him to his vet.
Old July 28th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Male cats do not go into heat (or estrus), only females.

Have you owned this cat all his life, or did you just adopt him? Do you know if he was used to going outside? If he was it will take time for him to learn to be an indoor cat. Try and distract him with toys or catnip, if he favours it.

Since he was only neutered two days ago, it could take a month for the bad smell to go away from his urine, but it WILL go away. Just be patient.

Since he is 11 years old, being neutered is harder for him to adjust to and he is probably somewhat uncomfortable.

IN the meantime, try giving him two litterboxes. Some cats are very fussy, so make sure you keep the boxes clean.

Watch his incision and make sure there is no swelling or a lot of redness there.
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,a dumb question I have popular areas for Rocky to spray,but it does not have the awful amonia smell,it does not smell like perfume,but more like regular urine.Is that because he is neutered?
It's not like my three are my first cats,I just never really thought about it
Old July 28th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

chico, the urine of an unneutered male cat smells more like a SKUNK than ammonia!!

I had my intact feral tomcat locked in a bedroom for a month before having him neutered, and the smell brought tears to my eyes.

But even neutered toms smell stronger than females.
Old July 28th, 2004, 08:12 PM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

If he's just been neutered, most vets will do a recheck exam free of charge. So, I would take him in for a recheck...just ask the vet to check incision area and at that point bring up what he is doing. It could be a UTI (urinary Tract infection) crystals,blockages,where may even be difficult or painful to urinate but they manage OR unable to at all eventually, etc,etc....or may even be behavioral, BUT, please get him looked at. I've seen many cats in severe agony afer being left with blockages,crystals, and / or UTI's.
Old July 30th, 2004, 10:58 AM

Thanks everyone for your opinion and advices. I will definitely take them into consideration.

For the past week after my cat was neutered. I noticed that my cat was peeing inside the litter box now all the time and that he is not peeing anywhere else.

Is it a possibility that the cat peeing outside the litter box has something to do with him not being neutered at that time. Maybe he doesn't like the smell of the urine inside the box, after all it does smells like a SKUNK.

My cat is not an outdoor cat and has always been healthy and active.
He doesn't eat any food with any seafood ingredient, for this reason I was once told by this lady who has a cat that suffered from crystal blockage which her vet said that male cats should not be fed with food that has seafood ingredients on it.

Is it possible that he can have Urinary Tract Infection after all proper precautions? Do cats just get them any way? How do they get them?

Again, thanks guys for all your inputs!
Old July 30th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, cats can get urinary problems even when precautions are taken. Just the stress of being neutered at this age could cause this.

Is he actually squatting and peeing, or standing up and spraying?
Old July 30th, 2004, 11:59 AM

Before he was neutered, I actually saw him squat and pee outside the litterbox. I never really see him spray against a wall. I saw his pee one time on his bag with his stuff so I guess he sprayed on it. There were traces of urine on hidden corners before.

Is it possible that UTI will not show any symptoms?
I will observe the cat if he tries to pee anywhere else again but his litter box. I just thought that he maybe confused about why he is spraying a bad odour and don't want to go in the stinky litter box. Do you have any idea how much it will cost me to get him a UTI test?

If this problem persist, I will definitely have the vet to check him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Yes, cats can get urinary problems even when precautions are taken. Just the stress of being neutered at this age could cause this.

Is he actually squatting and peeing, or standing up and spraying?
Old August 7th, 2004, 05:00 PM

cat urinating

My female cat has been urinating on my clean baskets of laundry, she has been fixed and we thought this would stop after, but it is continuing. We keep her litter box clean and I dont usually leave a basket of laundry around anymore, but sometime I'm rushed for work or whatever and I forget to put the clothes away and she's right on it... any idea's why? Its only on the clean clothes that she does this.
Old August 27th, 2004, 03:02 PM

Try getting another litter box

When I had the problem of my cat urinating in other places, my vet recommended that I should try getting another litter box. Some cats doesn't like the fact that they only have one litter box. Some cats prefer to have one litter box for peeing and another one for pooing. so try that.

Just to update on the earlier issue, I got my cat tested for UTI and it turned out negative. So I was very happy about that. I bought another litter box, so far my problem with the cat peeing outside the box has been fixed. I guess male cat's urine just simply smells.