Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old December 15th, 2008, 09:08 PM

What breed has the least medical conditions

My father who is a retired senior is looking for a little dog to have with him. I, myself as a dog owner have learned that certain breeds have many medical conditions that have been breed into the pedegree. Since my father is on a fixed income what would be the best breed for him to look into that is 20lbs or under?
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:13 PM
-

There's no way to tell. Even if there is a breed with less health issue , would could get a puppy that came from a bad breeder ... I would look into rescue , at least these dogs are vetted and if there is one with a condition , the rescue would tell you.

www.petfinder.com
Old December 16th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Compromised account

I agree with Frenchy, its very difficult to say, it really depends on each dog individually. Some breeds are so overbred, that even the healthiest puppy will not be healthy.

I would like to also point out that if he is senior, he should really look into getting an older dog (not senior, mind you, just older), due to the fact that the dog will have a lesser requirement for activity than a puppy, as well as it is possible to find one that is already housetrained, thus redusing the strain on the senior man to do physical things such as wipe pee and run outside every hour or so..especially at night or in bad weather.

As Frenchy pointed out, there are MANY MANY dogs, of all shapes, sizes and kinds available on Petfinder. I find that the benefit of adopting one is not only you are giving the dog a good home, you are contributing to reduction in the numbers of homeless pets, and euthanized pets...Also, the adoption fee usually includes vaccination, spaying, the dog is checked by a vet etc and its usually less than you would pay for the puppy in a store or at the breeder...There are many positives to this!

Good luck and feel free to ask away any questions you may have about the adoption, as there are quite a few people here that are savvy at it!

Last edited by JennieV; December 16th, 2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old February 1st, 2009, 06:47 PM

Tragically, the answer is clearly not Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Such lovely, personable, truly sweet dogs & hammered with health problems.

Many well bred terriers are vigorous, healthy & long lived, though they might have more oomph & fire than he wants. I *think* well bred Papillons, Bicho Frise & Toy Poodles can also be very healthy, but good, solid breeding is a must. Tibetan Spaniel, Havanese & Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen were very healthy several yrs back. I dunno if AKC recognition has worked it's *magick* yet or not. (I have heard PBGV temperament problems are popping up)

He could look at which breeds/types he's interested in & then research health/longevity for those breeds. Seek out exemplary breeders for those breeds which meet his criteria. Beware of bad breeders that very cleverly masquerade as good breeders.
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:25 PM

I agree to try rescue, im sure you can find a matured dog which is out of the horrible puppy stage that puts so many people off, a dog around 3 is the best age it has matured and calms out of the crazy teenage stage by that point and the rescue will be able to tell you the health of the animal. Obviously they will not be able to foresee any age related conditions which will often occur. Often mixed breed dogs tend to fare a bit better health wise, the out crossing away from limited gene pools can help cross out genetic conditions which riddle many pure bred dogs.
The actual pure breed dogs which have few health issues are usually the kinds that have been influenced least by humans and have not been involved in extensive breeding programs, and have stayed away from backyard breeding and milling types. But these dogs are often hunting type breeds that are not always the greatest suited for Canadian climates or older people looking for quiet companions, or are simply rare and expensive. You could also look into greyhound adoption, for all the extensive line breeding they endure for the gambling industry they are still remarkably hearty, live good length lives, and are very quiet and gentle, excellent dogs for seniors who aren't up for going for long jogs etc. They do require coats for the winter since they have limited coat, which also includes little grooming.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:59 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I agree with the members who say to look in shelters or on petfinder or rescues for an older, more settled dog. Unfortunately you can not predict illnesses. All you can do is hope for the best. A lot of times mutts do a lot better than pure breeds. You can also find many many pure bred dogs at all of the above mentioned places.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:45 AM
^.^

A mutt

The reason I say this is because breed specific now a days with such limited gene pools leads to greater defects in the animals,aspecially health. Mutts get the larger pool which makes em more resilient. Can always adopt, cheaper and better for your requirements.
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Garden nut

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are inbred like royal families who married uncles/nieces, half siblings and cousins. Scary!

Poor doggies.

But not all mutts are healthy. One of my brothers has two shelter dogs and both are mutts. One dog is riddled with allergies and is even allergic to grass. He spends thousands $$ annually for her care, between vet visits, daily allergy medication and special food. And she had to have surgery twice for some leg problem. The other dog tears up his house because they don't train her so he spends thousands there too.

So you really got to take it case by case and not search by breed. Search for the size of dog that would be ideal in the situation and don't go by looks. The exception about looks would be just how much hair can your dad clean up and/or tolerate? How much grooming can he afford? Some of the ugliest dogs may end up being the best, personality and behavior-wise. Small dogs yap yap yap and bigger dogs can tear furniture to shreds.

After you look at the ideal size you prefer, then you gotta read about the dog's history (if available). Then after you pin down some possibles, go and visit the dogs. People that help find homes for dogs will assist you in finding the right dog to fit your dad's lifestyle.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I'm a softy

I do not agree with the mutt theory.. Any dogs that breed can pass down genetic abnormalities whether or not they are bred to the same kind of dog or not. Mutts are usually bred by BYB's and are not health tested whatsoever, health problems plague the Byb's and mills, where most of these dogs come from. Mixed breed dogs can have many many illnesses, buying one will not mean you get a healthy dog.

i agree 100% with a rescue, he will be able to find the perfect dog!! One where you can already know it's health, and behavior, and it's full grown size! I am sure there is one perfect little guy just waiting for a warm home and forever friend, and when you find him you will know!! Good luck!!
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:43 PM

It's unfortunate that there is such a negative vibe regarding the health of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels out there right now. I know SEVERAL cavaliers, and they are all generally healthy. True, I know a few who have had more health problems than others, but in general, I wouldn't say they are a disaster like everybody makes them out to be. Every breed of dog that you run into is going to have something that they are well known for.

That said, I do think rescues are a great idea.

Please don't discount cavaliers just because of what you may have heard through the media!