Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old November 19th, 2005, 01:07 AM

What are you good at?

We all can name exactly what we suck at, right? But what are we good at? I think it's a much harder question to answer. Especially on the hard days.

So what are you good at?

I'm good at.... Taking care of my doggies (I think most of us can start with that at least... Kitties too..). I'm a pretty good driver (not only in my own honest opinion , others have said it too...). I'm pretty empathetic which makes me good at helping people sometimes.. Ok, that's it for me for now...

It shouldn't be so hard to think of good things... We should do it more often.
Anybody good at anything?
Old November 19th, 2005, 01:31 AM

Hmmm...

Yknow, it IS hard to say what your good at...

I think im also good at taking care of my pooch... giving him attention he didnt have before, etc, etc.... I think ive got a really good ear for music, I can pick up notes and memorize them to play later on (weird talent i know), and i think i can play instruments relatively easily.. im good at guitar for instance, even though if i played more often i could be really good (i think personally.)

the rest id have to think about possibly heheh
Old November 19th, 2005, 01:49 AM

Oh, ya, I'll be thinking about it too. It's so hard, eh?
Old November 19th, 2005, 01:54 AM

Yah.. and like, even when you think about something, your like, nah, i dont wnat to say that, thats just tooting my own horn, or you start to second guess if you REALLY ARE that good at whatever hahah..
Old November 19th, 2005, 02:03 AM

LOL Like "Am I really good enough at that to say it out loud in front of people?"

I know what I used to be good at... I used to be really good at snowboarding.

Ooo! I'm reliable! If anybody needs me, I'm around. So ya, I'm good at being reliable...
Old November 19th, 2005, 02:18 AM

HAHAHAHA well!! Yknow, thats a start.. this will have to be something to ponder for many hours to come *lol*

I am good at writing on forums and surfing the net !! WOO!! give me a prize!!!!! (OH, and staying obnoxious hours at work)
Old November 19th, 2005, 02:24 AM

So you're a hard worker and you get the job done? Those are good things...
Old November 19th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Personal servant to Joey

I am good at my job, five cust in the past week and more before this ask where they can contact the company to tell them about my service, and two people said they were going to stay with the company because of my service, and others say its the best service they ever had,

I actually also have a good ear for music, although I cant read it, I can go play pretty much any tune on the piano by ear. When I was about 5 of 6 we came home from church I went to the piano and starting playing the hymns. I took lessons but I found them really boring and didnt stick with it. Something I regret now.

I would like to think I am a good dog owner. I am am really making a conscious effort to make sure Joey is taken care off, and he learns his P&Qs. I think he seems pretty happy, although hes snoring right now.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Ohhhhhhhh, interesting question- remember when as young women especially, our mothers taught us not to brag!! So it becomes more diffult as we need to to list our proficiencies. And to top it off, friends tell me I need to be better at accepting compliments - and I rather think again women in particular don't do this as well as they should. We are very good at laughing at our foibles. ( Joey's mom, I had to stop to think what a cust was - thinking well I know what a "cusp" is, lol - but I figured it out. Ahhh, life online.

So what am I good at? (that I can verify, lol - that scientific thing again):

- critical thinking
- teaching and explaining
- research
- writing (I have won awards for that so it is easily verified, lol - fpr research too come to think of it and I have mega grants in my name for research)
- findraising
- debate (oral more than written; it is tough to debate online - the parameters are not equal or outlined)
- studying!!!
- caring for patients and being compassionate
- caring for pets
- talking to kids and "the elderly"
- my work
- I can find tough veins better than any other hematologist I know, lol - or for that matter lab techs or IV nurses. (I get called on by others when they are in dificullty)
- mowing the lawn
- finding info quickly
- programming (at least OOP)
- soothing upset kids or people
- but alternately, "getting my "Irish" up, maybe not a good thing, lol
reading a map and giving directions
- cooking

I have to think on other things.....

-
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK
mowing the lawn
I never would have thought of little things like lawn mowing... I'm a good shoveller... Ooo and I'm good at never getting stuck in the winter. Give me a standard car and I'll get out of any snow bank.
Old November 19th, 2005, 11:36 AM

I had to have my cup of coffee before I could answer this one. It IS really hard to think of anything good - I tend to think of myself as being pretty average at millions of different things... but not really good at any one of them.

I'm good at organizing things - things, facts, people, events that sort of thing. I'm good at public speaking. I'm a fantastic bluffer when I have no clue what I'm talking about... and I'm pretty good at being the peace-maker when there are flaring tempers about.

You're right though - CK.. I was always taught that modesty is a virtue. Perhaps it is as well - but it really complicates things when you're trying to put together an impressive resume!

http://www.vasavana.blogspot.com
Old November 19th, 2005, 12:42 PM

I agree with pags on thinking I'm average at a million things. But if I ponder a bit...I'd say I'm good at:

-sewing (people and dog clothes, plus curtains, pillows, you name it)
-memorizing words to songs after only hearing it once or twice
-playing the piano
-taking care of Molly and my boyfriend
-money management
-reading a large amount in a short period of time
-learning how to do new things very quickly

I'm also very responsible.
Old November 20th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

i come from a very physically talented family, they sing, dance, paint and are generally pretty talented, i am the black sheep and have no real physical talents, unless you count ability to excersise like a demon as a physical atribute

ummmm, well i make ppl laugh. thats my only really big talent, give me the sadest person in the world and i guarantee i can get them to laugh at something. truly im a great distraction during times of sadness, i can get the worst cases to come up a bit, i ahte sadness, and to me laughing does not take it away but makes it a bit more bearable.

i am a good councilor, everyone says i should be a life coach as i am great at motivating ppl, not myself so much but others yeah...........

and i can make myself laugh, dont need anyone around, i can entertain my self easily (unless im pregnant and cant stop crying )..

im good at crying, no really this week i found out that i can cry for days on end with no reasons and not dehydrate, so thats a talent

making charlie happy, thats a talent as she is a very smart girl....

my nephew says i would be a great entertainer in a circus, what a love...

i can bake like a demon....

and i am very very good at saving my environment and understanding it and its inhabitants....

and my thesis is finished so i suppsoe that means i can stick something out even if i dont want to, oh and is also testiment to my ability to stay at my computer for a while without letting my hyperactivity take over....

well thats hard prin, im not in a self complimentry mood today so that was a challenge, hey i do feel slightly less hateful of myself and less mentally self destructive now, so thanks lovely....

right no more crying today, thats it..
Old November 20th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Not-so-senior member

Can you be good at mediocrity? That's where I've always felt I hang out--the land of mediocrity. Jane of all trades, master of none.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old November 20th, 2005, 10:22 PM

Quote:
im good at crying, no really this week i found out that i can cry for days on end with no reasons and not dehydrate, so thats a talent
That is a talent.. If I cry for 10 minutes, I have a headache the rest of the day. Takes all the fun out of feeling sorry for myself.

I'm an average person too. I'm a little bit good at tons of things. It kind of sucks when you're in school though. School seems to be just about comparison between students and that is exactly what made me start this thread. I've been in school for 3.5 years now and I SUCK at it. I'm the worst student. I manage to get average grades but average university grades don't get you anywhere. So I was all down and I thought, why not write down somewhere what I'm good at so on days like this, I'll know. But then I dragged all you with me.

It is a very hard thing to do and I think anybody who answers this thread is good at challenging themselves and is not afraid of stepping out of their comfort zone. Those are good things, right?

I also found out today that I'm very good at giving things away... Friday I lent (but probably gave) my $400 snowboard bindings to my brother (on top of the $600 pants I sold to him for $200), and tonight, I gave away my old winter tires to the bf's sister (she doesn't even like me). I used them one year and didn't feel comfortable on them, so I didn't feel comfortable selling them, so I gave them to her. My boyfriend thinks when they see them (the sister and her bf) they'll give me money, but I don't think she is that kind of person. I'd gladly give the shirt off my back some days if it helped somebody else more than me. As long as my bf doesn't think it's a vice, it's all good.
Old November 21st, 2005, 05:23 PM

Hmmmmmmm What am I good at?

Taking care of my pets
Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 for PS2
reading comprehention (bad at spelling)
being a caring and compassionate person
sticking to my beliefs
Rollerblading (I haven't done this as much since I got the dog)
hobby crafts and painting
taking care of children
baking
sewing
cleaning (not that I like it, but I am pretty good at it. I used to do it for a job )
I try to be good at drawing, but I need more practice

Yup - that is everything I am good at.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.

Last edited by Roxy's_MA; November 21st, 2005 at 06:54 PM.
Old November 21st, 2005, 06:53 PM

I'm good at a couple of things,

I can cook and bake
I can sew, knit , and crochet, all of them I'm very good at doing in straight lines! LOL!
I take very good care of my kids, human and furry, feathery and scaly.
I'm sensitive, personally I think it's a good thing
I'm compassionate (just the thought of Rememberance Day made me cry, and I don't know anyone who went to any kind of war)
I can paint and draw, I'm also an excellent crafter, jewelery paper crafts, bookbinding, etc.
I've always been able to reach out to youth especially those in need of support.
I'm creative, I can come up with lots of different solutions to problems.
I'm a fairly good gardener, but sometimes the houseplants don't make it.
I can sing, I made a CD with several other artists, which I co-produced- (just my song)
I can't remember the words of songs, but I can make up my own, funny, romantic, serious...
I'm a whiz at spending money
I'm so unlucky it must be a talent!
I always stick things out, bad movies, wretched books, bad relationships, hard labour jobs.
I'm good at fixing things, I live alone and no one else will fix my toilet for me.
I can build things with wood if I have the tools.

Thanks Prin that made me feel pretty good about myself!
Everyone should make a list like that, even if it's secret.
Old November 21st, 2005, 08:18 PM
owned by Tucker

What am I good at?

I'm a good
-mother to kids and furbabies
-wife, sister, daughter, friend
-at my job, cooking and baking
-at organizing things at work, staffing, menu's and taking over my supervisors position when she is not there.
-at enjoying life
-listener
-at telling people how I really feel, don't like putting up with crap
-at being a bitch when called for
Old November 21st, 2005, 11:09 PM
cat slave

at my art...and i give great belly rubs...so it may seem hehehe
Old November 21st, 2005, 11:41 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Last week the call centre supervisor was standing behind me. I finished my call and then she asked to speak to me. Of course I was panicking and thinking what have I done?
Turns out one of my calls was monitored, they score you on your customer commitment problem solving, sales, and following the call flow. I got %100. So I guess I really am good at my job.
Then today my own supervisor did a monitor on me. She came and wanted to talk to me and I got another 100 score. It is pretty rare to get 100 I cant brag to much because of some of the reps that have been there longer then me havent gotten that 100 score yet.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey.E.CockersMommy
Last week the call centre supervisor was standing behind me. I finished my call and then she asked to speak to me. Of course I was panicking and thinking what have I done?
Turns out one of my calls was monitored, they score you on your customer commitment problem solving, sales, and following the call flow. I got %100. So I guess I really am good at my job.
Then today my own supervisor did a monitor on me. She came and wanted to talk to me and I got another 100 score. It is pretty rare to get 100 I cant brag to much because of some of the reps that have been there longer then me havent gotten that 100 score yet.
Sound like a good time to hit them up for a raise
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:22 PM

This is kind of tough. I'm empathetic so I always put myself in the other person's or animal's place and feel their pain. I've been told that I'm good at helping people with their problems, I guess it is my empathetic trait! I'm good at caring for my pets.

I'm good at visualization. This may sound weird, but I'm really good at this. I can look at a set of construction drawings or floor plans and picture it in my mind exactly how it will look. When we bought our house (from floorplans), I already knew where all our furniture was going to be placed before the house was even built! I even had all the colour schemes down and knew exactly what everything would look like.

I'm pretty organized. I've really good at multitasking. I believe I'm good at my job and have great telephone manners. I'm trustworthy and reliable.

I'm sure there are a whole bunch of other stuff that I can't think of right now or am unable to put on a forum
Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:36 PM

Honestly, the first thing that popped into my mind was.... complaining.
Next to that, i think i am excellent at losing weight. I gained 80lbs in my first pregnancy, and lost 90lbs without too much blood, sweat and tears.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:56 PM
Not-so-senior member

In addition to mediocrity, I also decided I'm very good at procrastination. And my husband says I'm a good cook, most of the time.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old November 23rd, 2005, 01:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Ahh what a good thread.

Prin you forgot your the number one pollster and thinker of good threads!

hmm ok I am good at being empathetic also and very compassionate. I cry whenever anyone cries on TV and sometimes when they don't.

Im a great listener and am good at helping people solve their personal problems. Im good at encouraging them to do the right thing while at the same time not making them feel bad for not. If that makes sense.

I tell it like it is and stand up for what I believe in when I can.

I can do good hair styles for my step daughter

Good at applying make up

My friend often says that I have an answer for everything even If I don't have the answer I will find the most logical answer and usually am right.

I try my best not to be judgemental

I am open to all cultures, races and religions and enjoy learning and being apart of it.

I always try to help those that need it. I will give my last bit of money for someone who needs it more. I am also known to buy people in line behind me their order at tim hortens if its under 4 dollars. It gives me the biggest thrill in the world.

I can dance... unless I am drunk and all coordination goes out the window

wow..... I thought I would never be able to list 1. This is pretty therapuetic. I guess Im not so bad after all.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:56 PM

Aww shucks...

I'm glad you all are getting into it.

Apparently, I'm good at manipulating people... A few people have told me that. I don't get it because I never intend to manipulate... I express myself. **shrugs**

I think I'm good at communicating. And I'm good at bringing together people who would otherwise never speak to each other. I'm good at making awkward situations unnoticable.

oo I'm good at being embarrassed and at laughing at myself.
Old November 25th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree that a thread of what we're bad at would be easier to answer!
Let me see....what am I good at....
I'm good at sleeping, I can sleep 14 hours straight (not that I get the chance to), and then lay down for a 2 hour nap. I loooove to sleep. I wish I got to do more of it.
I'm a good mommy to my little stinky Buster
I'm good at reading large amounts in a short period of time (it's a necessary skill to survive lawschool!)
I'm a good gardener
I'm a good cook
I'm GREAT at feeling sorry for myself (does that count??) haha

hmmm, the list I have of things I'm bad at would probably be about 50 pages long.....

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."

Last edited by meb999; November 25th, 2005 at 10:06 PM.