Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 7th, 2005, 05:58 PM

Question "Soft Paws"

Hey there
Just a question on this. My friend the other day asked me if I know a products for cats called "Soft Paws" Nail Caps. Its a plastic slip that goes over each of your cats claws. And then falls off when the claw sheds and then you just replace it when it falls off.
I have looked it up on the internet and found the wed site. Just wondering if anyone uses them or have hard anything about them before I go and buy them.
All my cats are indoor and i really don't want to get them de-clawed. And what ever I do, they like the sofa the best to sharpen their claws.
Old January 7th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

they are similar too...

humans having fake nails except that they completely circle the nail and are glued in place. We received a persian that came with this in his bundle of stuff, as there were only 3 little blue one's left and none in sight on his paws, I would think they didn't work very well. Also, I know that I had fake nails for my wedding and I couldn't wait to get the darn things off the day after. Keeping the cats nails trimmed weekly should eliminate a good portion of the damage caused by raking. Others may have additional information on how to discourage.
Old January 7th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I've never tried them and abhor declawing but use alternative strategies to get my kitten to stay away from the furniture which so far has ben sucessful. She has several scratching posts to which I direct her when I seer her eying the sofa. Also, I clip her claws about once a week - ensuring that they are not as sharp as they might be otherwise. She does scartch my computer chair but it is older and I do not mind that. I have a new one - leather that I use for me - and she can have the chair. She sees the chairs as "hers" and likes to sleep on it and scratch.

I dislike negative reinforcement but many people say spraying with water helps (I have hardwoord floors and do not want to get water on them and her clipped paws do not hurt the floor so I do not do this) but you COULD if all else fails try the water bottle effect - of she hates water. (There is the unsual kitty who dies like it, <g>) It is best if she does not see you with the bottle so she associate getting hit with water and the sofa.

I redirect her attention to her many toys - and that also works.

There is also citris and apple smelling spray that cats do not like and you can spray it on the furniture.

Anyone I know who has used Soft Paws has not cared that much for them. They only last for 6 weeks and have to be replaced. It seems to me training the kitty is a better alternative.

Good luck!
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Soft Paws, while being a great concept, the kitties have out smarted the inventors...quicker to come off than the time it took to patent the idea.

Clip the claws.