Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM

Exclamation Any ideas?

Choc. Lab cross with Golden Retriever Age 4 mths 22 days. Two weeks ago change puppy food from Iams Puppy food to Iams Puppy Food Large Breed. Did mix the food until she was fully on the large breed. Last weekend had friends over and they were feeding her human food. Next day, she started out with explosive diarrehea and was very lethgary. Drank lots water and ate small amount of food. Monday morning woke up to watery diarreha and very unhappy dog. Monday evening stool was better and she was drinking lots of water. Fed her plain rice and boiled chicken meat. Tuesday morning fed rice & chicken again & in the afternoon she seems happy and playful. Put her back on her dog food. Wednesday morning vomit up stomach bile, but she was happy and eating food. Very playful. Early this morning vomited again but this time it was her supper from the night before, plus she had two soft stools. Gave her breakfast and then played ball. Her nose ended up swelling up - took to vet - animal hospital. Gave her injected of antibodtics and coristone and special dog food for her stomach. Came home had diarrehea twice more and then vomited up her breakfast. No energy went to sleep. Woke with two different size pupils - went back to vet. By the time I got to see the vet her eyes were almost back to normal again. Plus, she has hives on her belly and doing a lot of scratching. Tested her eyes & her eyes reflexes Vet gave her a needle for the scratching, and medicine for diarrehea(like go fast) and vomiting (cerean?). Vet not sure if it was both allergic reaction plus a stomach bug. Very consider about her. What is making my dog sick? I don't think it was a bee or wasp - too cold & early. Squirrels, raccoons droppings - lived in wooded area? Change in food? Ate something like an acorn? She is getting better, but I would like to know what it is incase it happens again. More playful and happy but extremely tired. She had all her needles except for the rabies one which I had to cancelled bc she was sick. Wondering if it is a food allergy?
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:41 PM
NOT a senior member

I really don't have any answers for you, I would initially think that the stomach upset was due to the food that your guests were feeding her. I know that when my bullmastiff was in his first year, I could not add anything out of the ordinary to his kibble...and I mean ANYTHING. Even the smallest morsel seemed to create a huge gastric upset in him...but now he is fine, so I suppose his system just had to mature.

I did notice that you said you fed her then went and played ball. I just want to mention that you should get into the habit of not exercising your pup around mealtimes, especially after. My sisters Golden nearly died from bloat when she fed him...then played ball ironically.

I also think that Iams is a rather poor kibble to be feeding IMO. If you would like some suggestions on other options with better ingredients for your girl, just take a look in the pet feeding forums here or visit the websites I will list for you.

As for the nose thing, and her pupils....I am dumbfounded. Did the vet mention anything about that? Only he or she can really tell from examining the hives what the cause could be. There sure seems to be alot going on with your girl, but all I can really suggest would be to improve her diet.

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html
Check this site out, there are more links on this one that are very helpful in deciding the nutritional needs for your dog, and how to pick a quality commercial diet. There is information about allergies as well. Good luck!

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Update

The vet thinks there is two different things going on - Stomach bug & an allergic reaction to something. Could be a fly bite that cause the allergic reaction - we have a lot of flies here.

Also, regarding the food - when we got her we asked the vet what to put her on. He took us that the Iams would be good and it is on the clinic food list. We have tried the free bag of dog food we got with the puppy plan "Medi-cal", she didn't really like & I did the proper mixing. With her stomach problems the vet came us a Iams Vet formula for intestinal problems.

In addition, in the morning time she don't eat a lot and I only play with her for about 15 minutes before she goes into her crate. Most of the time she ends up sitting down and chewing on one of her toys.

I find that she is extremely fussy with food. When we put her in her crate we put a couple of treats and fresh water. She never eats her treats and when we let her out she picks her treats up and eat them.
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:56 PM

Hi, when my yellow lab was a puppy, she had similar reactions to food, turns out she is allergic to all forms of wheat. My vet promoted the Science Diet, but Maya cannot have it due to the allergy. I also know that my vet recommends it because they are paid to promote it. When I told my vet I had switched to California Natural without wheat ingredients, she told me I did right. One thing to remember though, if you go wheat-free, make sure any treats are wheat free as well. A few weeks ago, she came across part of a hotdog roll someone had dropped, ate 1 bite, and the next morning was covered in hives, runny swollen nose, and drippy irritated eyes. If the boiled chicken and rice is helping, you might want to consider a food without wheat. Check out the food forum for some really good, tested ideas. I hope puppy gets better soon.

In Memory: Spot, Reese, Scrunk, and Nikki - always in my heart