Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old February 8th, 2007, 09:00 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Question Another puppy mill bust

Did anyone see it on the news? I only caught the end of it where a SPCA Inspector was removing small dogs and horses. They looked in real bad shape and he said they've been there many times over the last 15 yrs only for this guy to start all over again They did however arrest the guy on the spot. Three busts in just two weeks WOO HOO many more will be as well
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Glad to hear that they are cracking down...
Here too there have been a couple seizures ( small one pet ones) the SPCA has been tending to calls about dogs left out in the freezing cold chained to dog houses... I know of one who has been picked up
Bout time!!!
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:26 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Bout time is right - glad to hear their also cracking down in your area Erykah

I am however very surprised no one at all seen it on the news. Other then http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=36383 Sorry Tigger5, I didn't see your post.

Animals were saved and I'm sure everyone is so thankful that as of yesterday their now warm and out of harms way. Animals have it bad enough, I don't think questioning rescuer's motives helps and probably one of the reasons our animals in in such horrible situations, everyone's always judging everyone rather then standing together for them. Sad really!

I haven't found it either and was really hoping someone knew these animals fate.

Last edited by Pike; February 9th, 2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Unnecessary attempt at provocation
Old February 9th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't understand why they WAIT. A starving horse is going to be in even worse shape in 10 days. Would they leave a child that long?
Of course as a recividist he should be behind bars, on a VEGAN diet.
Old February 9th, 2007, 08:51 AM
An Honest Contributor

IMO they wait UNTIL their forced to do seizures. Let's push em
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Who cares if it was a publicity stunt by SPCA mtl,the animals are out now in a very public seizure.Even if it takes other SPCA's doing something if it takes that to get Mtl to do something so be it.In the end does it matter why the animals are safe just as long as they are.Competion rescues!
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:19 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lise View Post
Competion rescues!
I like the sound of this Anyone up for a raid?
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:52 AM

"In the end does it matter why the animals are safe just as long as they are."

this is the part I have concerns with....lets call a spade a spade...mtl is a "buisness"....if the animals are in a certain condition....or not "sold" after a certain periode....are they really safe ??????

Again...great they are taken away from this place...but were will they end up ????
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:13 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger5 View Post
"In the end does it matter why the animals are safe just as long as they are."

this is the part I have concerns with....lets call a spade a spade...mtl is a "buisness"....if the animals are in a certain condition....or not "sold" after a certain periode....are they really safe ??????

Again...great they are taken away from this place...but were will they end up ????
I'm too tired to go into long debate, maybe others would like to add their comments though.

I do think your mixing two issues in one. Let's call a spade a spade. The MSPCA has over 1/2 to 3/4 in total of the island of Montreal's Animal Control Contracts so basically their acting as pounds as well as an Humaine Society to Prevent Animal Abuse. We all know what pounds must do - euthanize! It's really not their fault so many animals are left behind. Now ask me if I think the SPCA should act as pounds and a SPCA - that's another whole thread in itself.

Regarding seizures: They cannot euthanize those animals until going through the court system and only the really sick get euthanized. Looking at it through a PR's point of view: Would it really be wise to euthanize OR would it be safe to say using them as a pond would bring in more donations and in return can possibly save more animals? (if done the way it's suppose to be done I mean)

Either or either way, does it matter? Personally I think the animals don't give a **** - as long as their fed and warm it's a hell of lot better then all of their yesterday's.
I hope I don't sound angry, I'm just rushing. I'm leaving, zzzzzzzzzz
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:29 PM

It is great that the animals are safe, if they really are safe. I just hope that the reasoning was not PR. Maybe they just needed time to build a stronger case against him...

Normally, when the SPCA makes a seizure, Barnoti is on the news... But he wasn't this time. Maybe he realizes people don't think he is a hero anymore.
Old February 9th, 2007, 03:29 PM
An Honest Contributor

It's not easy doing seizures. Say they have a bag of food sitting in the corner that alone might prompt a judge not to issue the warrant. If too many times you go in front of a judge asking for it and it ends up being thrown out, you'll never get another judge to take you seriously. So much bull but alot of politics involved as well.

I spoke to Barnoti's assistant and all the dogs are safe in the Laval SPCA and the horses are being fostered. It's said it'll air on JE tonight. As far as Barnoti not being there, perhaps he was advised against being on camera probably just so it's not so obvious
Old February 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

WOW,that's amazing 3 seizures in a couple of weeks,great stuff,maybe it will send a message to all the puppy-millers out there
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:12 PM
An Honest Contributor

ok I just found it on Global http://www.canada.com/globaltv/quebec/index.html# and from what hear, stay tuned, more to follow
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's GG and it was in English
Where are all these poor little dogs going,add 32 dogs to any shelter and it will be overcrowded.
All this man can get for a 3rd offence is a $2.000 fine???That's disgusting...
Oh and Barnoti is a star,I wonder what happened to all those Huskys from a while back,I don't trust that man:sad:
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:35 PM
An Honest Contributor

Did u c those poor things and all those horses :sad: discusting. Yep that's all he'll get then back to business. I just got off the phone with Barnoti and he says their all being vet checked at the Laval SPCA.

Trust him or not, who do these animals have? Rescues? How could we get a judge to sign warrants? I straight out told him, bust the millers and maybe people will give him a chance use those donations and prove you'll be there for the animals. What other choice is there? Maybe then once we crack down on the mills, the gov't will be forced to make changes in the laws

Last edited by Golden Girls; February 9th, 2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:42 PM
An Honest Contributor

Marko just posted an update on those Huskies http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ighlight=marko
Homes have been found for 20 of the 22 rescued Huskies

Last edited by Golden Girls; February 9th, 2007 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added link
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:34 PM
-

I am sooo happy about this, even if I think they did it just because Monteregie did 2 in 3 weeks, if that's what it takes to make them do something , then so be it. when was the last time we heard about 3 busts in 2 months ? Never.
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:05 PM
An Honest Contributor

Isn't it more like 3 busts in 2 weeks woohoo history! I agree who cares how or why as long as the animals as safe and warm
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:16 PM
-

Could you imagine if they would keep this up ? the seizures I mean.