Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old March 12th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Kitty Consort

"Forced" to shoot a cat for hissing?

This story appeared in my local paper this weekend... and well, does any of this add up to you?
A child apparently was injured, but the explanation given doesnt make any sense. And why would they shoot ANOTHER cat? It was probably terrified.. and with good reason.
What on earth is WRONG with people?

And - its legal in Alberta to shoot your own animals - as long as it's done "humanely"?
Can this be correct?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11769682/

BEAUMONT, Alberta - Margo Dawson says her family had no choice but to shoot a cat that was "hissing and growling" after another feline in the house attacked her 16-month-old granddaughter.
"The cat just jumped on top of her head and wouldn't let go," Dawson said Thursday. "I screamed and kicked the cat in the butt to get it away.
"Emma was hysterical. She had cuts on her ears and the back of her head."
The girl needed six stitches to close scratches on her head, Dawson said.
She said the cat "got spooked" and broke into a crazed run throughout the house before jumping on the toddler.
"Emma was defenseless. The blood was just gushing."
The cat that attacked Emma ran away and hid before the family could shoot her, said Dawson. But another cat in the house was "hissing and growling," so the family decided to shoot it.
It was not clear whether the attacking cat was found after it ran off.
The two felines were among five cats Dawson's family took into their Beaumont-area home south of Edmonton about two weeks ago after responding to an ad offering them free to a good home.
Dan Tanguay, the former owner, was angry after finding one of the animals shot to death outside the Dawson home.
He said he and his girlfriend, Krista, were forced to give up the cats because they didn't get along with his dog.
The Alberta SPCA says there's no law that prevents owners from shooting their own animals provided it's done humanely.
-----
Old March 13th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Senior Contributor

So they didn't shoot the cat that attacked the toddler but they shot the next cat they could find because it was it hissing. Was it even hissing at them or was it hissing because all hell had broke loose?

With a thought process like that maybe Alberta should consider banning guns.....for idiots.

Last edited by twodogsandacat; March 13th, 2006 at 03:29 AM.
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Just ban guns since the only ones who seem to use them is criminals. Guns in the hands of people like these are dangerous. Lets just shoot the other cat anyhow. That story seems to be missing a lot. The cats just went crazy for no reason
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old March 13th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Having experienced a"crazed"cat a couple of times(Rocky)I know and have the scars to prove it,how much damage they can do:sad:
But would I kill Rocky,no absolutely not,there was a reason for his reaction.
However a baby was involved:sad:
I personally saw(did not see him do it,but heard the shot) on a visit to Pincher Creek,Alberta,a rancher go out and shoot his Rottie because he had a broken leg.
I thought he was joking when he grabbed his gun,but he was not
This is also a good testament against"For free pets"
Old March 13th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Kitty Consort

Yes, cats can become spooked, and sometimes act a bit crazed, racing and leaping around. It's clear one of the cats jumped on this chld and attacked. Or did the toddler accidentally hurt the cat beforehand? Regardles of why this happened, I can understand their panic, even using force to remove it from a terrified and screaming baby.

The woman states it wouldnt let go.
Were they planning on shooting it off the child's head?
It DID let go - it ran off and hid, apparently. Why would they need to kill it? And even more disturbing, kill another instead?
Did they believe the cats were suddenly possessed by evil demons? The frantic commotion was likely the reason for the other's reaction.

And the original owners gave away five free cats - because they "didnt get along" with their dog, but were upset to find one dead.

Apparently eveyone connected to this story found these cats to be disposable.:sad:
Old March 13th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Meaghan Edwards

That is absolutely disgusting. These people should have their kids and any remaining pets taken away.
Old March 13th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Shamrock,my Rocky was more than a little crazed,he was sitting in the open window and another cat was outside.
I heard him growling and went in to see what was happening.
He attacked me like a wildcat and had I not had a door to close on him,I would have been seriously hurt.He continued to attack the door until he finally calmed down.
I ended up in the ER,the doc thought I had been attacked by a bigger animal.
I was treated for 6 weeks for the deepest wound,that left a dent in my leg.
Did I have thoughts of getting rid of Rocky?,no,but I am very careful when strange cats are around outside,it happened to me twice and a third time,the doc would have to report Rocky.
He is the sweetest smartest cat I know and I just don't know what his problem is,he is ok when he sees a strange cat with the window closed,but if he hears or smells it,he goes bananas.
Something must have happened to these poor cats too,something that frightened the daylight out of them:sad:
Old March 15th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Kitty Consort

oh-my-gosh, Chico! What a frightening... and painful - experience!
That is feline misdirected agression taken to the fiercest extreme. I can certainly understand your caution with Rocky regarding other-cat encounters.

My female persian hates to be held and groomed.. and becomes agitated when I comb her, no matter how gentle I am. When I'm done.. she inexplicably charges Percy, my tiny dog, swatting at him in anger - like it was his fault. He runs from her.
She doesnt "hurt" him though, so this is the same idea, but on a harmless level.
A cat in serious attack mode is another story entirely.:sad:
Old March 15th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Shamrock,the thing is I love him a lot,he's my shadow:love: Many people ask me,why he is still alive.
He is actually a wonderful cat,I just have to be very careful,to keep him out of open windows in the summer.
He gets along great with my other cats,really loves Vinnie,but he is one of the reasons I cannot take any of the poor needy adult cats in the Forum:sad: