Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Board of health hearings cancelled?

babyrocky1
November 12th, 2004, 04:08 PM
I am concerned about rumours that i have been hearing that the board of health hearings around our beloved dogs have being cancelled. Im not sure if this is good or bad or even true but each time I have called a city councellor regarding our issues they have said that they wont take a position on the issue until the board of health has reported to them and that the vet associations humane societys etc would be consulted by the board of health. the other night on city they had the mayor on and although the pit bull ban was not brought up by callers one of the callers had a dog barking in the background Anne R asked the caller what kind of dog he had and the caller said it was a poodle. The mayor said to the caller that he was glad he had the "Right" breed. Since the "villiage idiot" continues to say he has the mayor onside I keep calling the mayors office to clarify but Im not getting anywhere. I think we need to put pressure on Toronto before we end up with another London on our hands. What do peoople think?

mastifflover
November 12th, 2004, 04:15 PM
I was sending emails to the mayor as well but I think for the last 2 or 3 have comeback undeliverable. I think I might be blocked.

Schwinn
November 12th, 2004, 04:18 PM
To be honest, I think Miller is as big of a tool as Bryant.

That's all I've got...

Dukieboy
November 12th, 2004, 04:35 PM
I'll second that.

mastifflover
November 12th, 2004, 04:48 PM
They are politicians need I say more

Loki
November 12th, 2004, 07:10 PM
I remember seeing an interview with Miller when City tv did a piece about the THS possibly having to put alot of pit bulls down if the ban happens. ( around mid-Oct)
He made a comment along the lines of:
" My first concern is the safety of people, The Attorney General has taken great steps to ensure the safety of Torontonians."
or something to that affect.
I seem to recall him saying he "applauds" what Bryant had done, way back when.

Of course, this was before City tore into Bryant. Miller is on my "to email" list, this weekend. Before he put the law on the table, I'm pretty sure Bryant met with a large group of Mayors, here in Toronto. I wouldn't doubt that they worked something out in advance. Miller is a weasily politician like the rest of them, in the end he will do whatever suits him best.

babyrocky1
November 13th, 2004, 12:19 AM
Does anyone have Millers E-mail adress?

Loki
November 13th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Here is the one from his web-site:
mayor_miller@toronto.ca

Also, in the form letter reply I recieved from him the last time I sent an email,
His assistant's address is:
Carmen Smith
Special Assistant
Office of the Mayor
csmith7@toronto.ca
(416) 338-7116

Akeeter
November 13th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Nobody wants to deal with dog fighting, animal cruety, etc. But -Hey, 'people come first'. The fact that People are the ones creating most of the problems doesn't seem to enter these Empty Little Heads, that we elected. (does that mean we are just a gullable?)

It doesn't matter if they are organized criminals, street hoods, or just plain inept dog owners. We, the rest of the human population, & the dogs have to pay the price. We ought to demand the right to be treated Better than a Criminal &/or Animal Abuser!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Loki
December 1st, 2004, 09:03 PM
It is an old study( 1998 ), but part of it involved BSL.
http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/legdocs/agendas/committees/hl/hl980915/it004.htm

They look into BSL. Mention why it doesn't work, and some places it failed etc.
They even mention that the media incorrectly makes it appear that pits and rottys do all the biting.

Not sure if this is the right thread to put it, but I thought it was an interesting read.

babyrocky1
December 3rd, 2004, 12:05 AM
actually I still dont know if those hearings are cancelled. I tryed many times calling millers ofice as well as olivia chow, my councellor. No response so I am asuming they have been but I am very concerned about the citys take on this because if they cooperate with the libs enthusiastically Im afraid were done for. On the other hand if they make things difficult for them on the enforcement end it could help our cause. Also what about registration etc. the city could probably dictate those regulations and make our lives even more difficult. Theree are very few pits in our neighborhood and although most folks love my dog I know thata there are some just waiting for the law to be passed so that they can make sure hes muzzled. Hes a black and awhite boy so Im going to get him a black cvoiat and maybee a hat and sneek him out at midnight so he can play ball. I wonder how I will take to criminal life Never thought Id be wondering about that one

Dukieboy
December 3rd, 2004, 08:56 AM
You can try calling Carmen Smith. She replied to the mayors emails. Her line is 416-338-7116

Loki
December 4th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Also what about registration etc. the city could probably dictate those regulations and make our lives even more difficult. Theree are very few pits in our neighborhood and although most folks love my dog I know thata there are some just waiting for the law to be passed so that they can make sure hes muzzled. Hes a black and awhite boy so Im going to get him a black cvoiat and maybee a hat and sneek him out at midnight so he can play ball. I wonder how I will take to criminal life Never thought Id be wondering about that one

I just re-registered my pitty in TO at the end of November, no real problem so far. If/When the law passes, they'll probably want to see a certificate of neuter, before they will register.

I also get the feeling that a few people in my area have the cops on speed-dial, waiting for this law to pass. I've asked my vet for a reference letter about my dog( I know it sounds silly). They might say no, but if you are accused of 'menacing', you will have to prove otherwise. If the cops show up, it can't hurt to have a letter. At the very least , to give the impression that you will be showing up in court with the backing of an accredited professional.