November 4th, 2004, 11:37 AM
My fiancé and I have been looking for Yorkie pups or Schnauzers. So far we haven't had any luck! :sad: We've called many places and went to different shelters and pet stores (however I didn't really want to buy a puppy from a pet store)! Anyone have any suggestions! We currently have no children, therefore we have plenty of time and lots of love to give away to the perfect pup! We are willing to drive anywhere in the Ottawa/Hull/Montreal/Toronto areas to hopefully find the pup we've been looking for! I can be contacted via email at ***. Any type of small to toy puppies (pure or mixed) would be a blessing at this point! My fingers are crossed!
November 4th, 2004, 12:20 PM
You know that these are very different kinds of dogs right? And although you don't have children now---please know that a small child can do some pretty good damage to a tiny yorkie. They only grow to be about 4 or 5lbs and as a general rule, a lot of breeders of small dogs like yorkies or even toy poms will ask that you to only allow children around the dog (pup or full grown) with parental or adult supervision.
With respect to breeders....Although I realize buying from the newspaper is not generally a good idea...there are two postnigs in the Citizen right now for Yorkies...there are also some breeders in the area if you check. The CKC has a good site with questions to ask a "breeder" before buying a pup....if you call one of these places in the paper you should be sure to ask a lot of questions.
These are the miniature schnauzer breeders listed on the Ottawa Kennel Club site:
Aija & Terry Carisse, MVP Reg'd Kennel
5588 Richmond Road
Nepean, ON K2R 1G5
Tel: 613-591-6340; Fax: 613-591-0160
Lynda L. Graham, Paw-Zazz Reg'd
5414 Snake Island Road, Manotick, ON
Pat Parent, Greysatin Reg'd Kennel
R.R.2, House 280
Jasper, ON K0G 1G0
I hope this helps.
Good luck on your search!
November 4th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Our family recently adopted a Mini Schnauzer, Jimmy. We've had him for about 6 weeks and he's 17 weeks old this week.
Jimmy has been a dream to housetrain and is tough as nails. My son is 9 now, but still plays pretty wild with Jimmy. Jimmy can give as well as he gets. We also have a female lab and Jimmy definitely holds his own.
I spoke to the breeder in Jasper as well as the breeder in Manotick (mentioned in the previous post). I believe the Jasper breeder was expecting puppies around now. The Manotick breeder did have puppies available when we were looking, but we were able to find Jimmy closer to home.
The Schnauzer pups are pricey (from a reputable breeder), but, IMHO, well worth the money. My big he-man husband just melts when he sees that little schnauzer face. This morning, as Jimmy was cuddling on my lap during morning coffee, he likened him to a teddy bear.
Just thought you might be interested in my experience. Good luck with your search. :thumbs up
November 23rd, 2004, 11:17 AM
Thank you for posting on this site, and thank you for wanting to rescue a small dog instead of purchasing from a petstore. I work extensively on the "Puppymill" problems in Ontario and Quebec. Unfortuantely the general public is not aware of just how many puppymillers we have in Ontario and Quebec!!
Please DO NOT purchase a puppy from a pet store. I am posting what you need to look for in a REPUTABLE BREEDER. If the breeder does not comply with the following, do not purchase that puppy from them!! If you would like more information on reputable breeders in this area, you can privately email me.
A Reputable Breeder Will -
1) breed only one, or maybe two breeds
2) not breed to make money - in fact they will probably be lucky to break even
3) probably have a waiting list, but definitely NOT have puppies available all year-round
4) ask you a lot of questions, such as where you live, if you have children, other pets etc. This is not to see if you are "worthy" of one of their puppies, rather to make sure the breed is right for you, and even to match a particular puppy specifically to your family
5) provide you with a pedigree for both the puppy's parents
6) SHOW you your puppy's parents while the puppies are STILL NURSING
7) guarantee the puppy's health
8) not place a puppy in a new home before 8 weeks of age
9) often keep a puppy for his or her own breeding/showing program, otherwise what was the point of the breeding???
10) take back one of their puppies or dogs AT ANY TIME - in fact they will ask that you return the dog to them if for ANY reason you cannot keep it
11) be responsible for each and every puppy they bring into this world, for its entire life
12) offer you continuing support and training advice throughout the puppy's life
13) insist that buyers of pet puppies spay/neuter their puppy, and have some method of enforcement
14) do not sell their dogs by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Paypal) and “fly” or “deliver” the dog to you
15) do not sell their dogs without meeting you in person at their home, so you can SEE where the dogs are living
If the breeder does not contend to ALL of the above, DO NOT buy that puppy![B]
Please DO NOT be fooled by cute pictures over the internet and on websites…..behind
those cute pictures on the internet can be a puppymill waiting to sell you a puppy.
Kerri N Lynch
November 17th, 2005, 08:48 PM
We have a Mini we purchased from GreySatin Kennels he is 4 years old now and the light of our lived , such a wonderful boy he is great with kids of all ages. If you are still looking give Pat a call i am sure she would be most helpful.
November 17th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I have a 12 week old min. schnauzer. I researched a couple of breeds before I narrowed it down to one choice. You need to find the breed that suits your lifestyle.
All of the breeders in my area that I contacted are done for the year and the new litters will be ready in spring. Don't be in a rush. Research the breed properly, and narrow your choice to one. Yorkies are very different to Schnauzers.
November 17th, 2005, 11:30 PM
I wanted to add this test to try. See what is suitable for you. http://www.ckc.ca/Default.aspx?tabid=228
November 18th, 2005, 08:00 PM
i got my mini 11 months now and the 2 before from mary lunn in franklin qc. would be about 2 hours from you.. she is ckc... and talks cuddles every pup in the litter very well socialized..
pm me if you want more info
November 18th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Jewlz started this thread over a year ago, don't think she'll be back!
November 18th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Deleted - did not look at the date!!!!