Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for Shorthair Chihuahua Puppy

Tiundra
September 27th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Hi, my ten year old daughter and I are looking for a chihuahua puppy to add to our household. We prefer to find a short hair chocolate Chi but am not willing to break the bank to do so. The puppy does not have to be registered as it will only be an addition to the family not a show dog. If anyone has any advice, please feel free to let me know.

We are in Montreal.

Thanks in advance,

T.

lil_kirk
October 4th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Small dogs like the Chihuahua's are generally very expensive to buy. True breeders sell them for anywhere from 1000 to 2000 dollars to ensure that the buyer REALLY wants the pup. Generally if you're willing to spend that kind of money are you are going to ensure the pup is given what it needs.

I would imagine you are going to be hard pressed to find an economically priced Chihuahua puppy--with the whole Paris Hilton/Tinkerbell syndrome breeders are likely to further increase their price to avoid impluse buying from people who want a pup just because she has one that is cute.

I'm not sure why you want a Chi, but if you are interested the Canadian Chihauhua Rescue and Transport has several Chi's in need of good homes. They aren't puppies but they are certainly very cute and lovable little gals.

mastifflover
October 4th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Oh yes thanks Paris now we will find lots of these in shelters and pounds. Please if you get one of these dogs please socialize and train it because if these dogs were the size of a pit bull they would be the ones being banned for biting not Pits

lil_kirk
October 4th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Definitely. Brussels Griffons would have had this problem after their stint in As Good As It Gets but "luckily" when they have babies they only have one or two pups--making their price tag at nearly 2500 dollars a pup. At this price you quickly lose all of those "I want my own Verdell" syndrome dog shoppers.

Tiundra
October 5th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Although I appreciate the information gleaned from your postings, I feel I should defend my choice and preference for a Chi. Although I do know that Paris Hilton has Tinkerbell and that would tend to influence people out there to purchase a Chi for the simple purpose of emulating Paris Hilton, I am not one of those people.

My daughter and I have discussed this at length, and as I do not like long haired anything, and wear black a lot, our choice was made that we would probably better off with a small short haired dog. Therefore, a Chihuahua came to mind.

Please note that I do not mean any offense to anyone, although, I was feeling a bit offended by some of your comments.

Lucky Rescue
October 5th, 2004, 03:58 PM
You want a Chihuahua because of your wardrobe? Is there another reason you want this breed? Have you researched them, and know that they can be VERY hard to housetrain? You may end up not only with hair on your clothes, but poops and pees on your carpet. :p

Chis are moderately shedding dogs, and some shed much more than others, so you will still have hairs on your clothes.

Many short haired dogs shed more than some long haired dogs and it can be worse, because the short stiff hairs weave themselves into everything, whereas long hair often comes out in easily picked up tufts or clumps.

Bugsy
October 5th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Wait....

You want a short haired chi because of your wardrobe, and
a chocolate chi because of the COLOR of your wardrobe...

THUD..... :eek:

(just fell off my chair)

mastifflover
October 5th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Well if you want a chi I would contact the chi rescue and let them know what you are looking for. Because I imagine in the next little while there will be a fair amount available once these Paris wannabes realize that they actually have to train them and walk them (oh you cant carry them in your purse all the time). I hope you can give one of these dogs a forever home. Just a note my mastiff is short haired and could carpet a house daily with the amount he sheds. Short haired dogs seem to shed more you might want to look at the longer haired chi's.

BigDog
October 5th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Just my humble opinion about wardrobe, pls don't jump on me :rolleyes:
I understand where this person is coming from, color of your cloths really can make better/worse match with dark or light hair, I know it from my own experience! I had a big almost all white dog that sheded constantly, in that period of time I hated to wear black cloths and tryed to avoid buying it.
Of course color of most of your cloths is not enough reason to chose the breed and there are many other more important points to consider, but hair color also counts as one of the factors of your choice.

Writing4Fun
October 5th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Many short haired dogs shed more than some long haired dogs and it can be worse, because the short stiff hairs weave themselves into everything, whereas long hair often comes out in easily picked up tufts or clumps.
Amen, LuckyRescue! Our prev dog had Lab-ish fur. Not only does it weave itself into fabric (darn near impossible to vacuum out), step on one the wrong way and it feels like you have a piece of glass in your foot! Ouch!!

Tiundra, please don't be offended. Lots of people are under the misconception that short-haired breeds shed less than long-haired dogs. We all learn something new every day. :)

Tiundra
October 6th, 2004, 12:43 PM
I can't believe this! Of course I want a Chi because of my wardrobe - Thanks for the generalized judgement.

:confused:

LL1
October 6th, 2004, 03:03 PM
You could try Chi rescue:

Christine Blais
613-291-0636
info@ccrt.net
www.ccrt.net

or

Shawn Hilder
shawnthegirl@hotmail.com of the same rescue noted above

Tiundra
October 6th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Thank you for the help with links and such. Much appreciated.