Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Male cat question?

hounds003
December 17th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Last night my husband was able to catch a stray male cat that we've had hanging around here. From what I've heard his owners moved and left him behind.:evil: Right now I have him in a dog crate with a litter box of his own. I had already talked to my vet about neutering him (begged for a discount) so he's going this Monday a.m. This might be a stupid question but I haven't had a male cat before and my big concern is him spraying/marking in the house. Does neutering completely stop the behaviour or is it the same as with dogs? If training is also needed, what should I do????

Also I have 2 female cats(spayed). One of them is good with strange cats, the other can be a bit of a witch. Is there something I could do to make their introductions easier?

No name's being an angle in the crate. He's in the recroom where the woodstove is. Warmest spot in the house and where the dogs can't bother him. I'm sure he's enjoying the warmth and a full belly. No idea what to call him, thinking Stinky but that wouldn't be fair.:D

hounds003
December 17th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Oops I forgot! Does anyone know if they're is there a good over the counter dewormer I could buy?

badger
December 17th, 2005, 03:05 PM
What a lovely boy! Thanks for taking him in.
You're better to get deworming meds from the vet, the OTC ones aren't worth much. You might have his poo analysed before you deworm him, just to make sure he needs it (costs $10-12). Revolution takes care of ear mites, fleas and the main parasites (except tapeworm).
I've rescued lots of males cats that never sprayed, so it's not a given. Neutering definitely reduces the territorial drive so if he's not spraying now, he probably won't start. Plus your other kitties are females, which helps.
I'd keep him separate from your girls for a good week. Confine him to one room, with his stuff, and visit him occasionally, let him hear your voice, play with him (if he agrees; sometimes strays are a bit slow in the playing department). Give him a blanket or an old towel to lie on and if your girls have something similar, do an exchange after a few days, so they get used to each other's scent.
When you do integrate them, don't force a confrontation just keep an eye on things, a little bit of hissing, spitting and hiding is normal. Watch for aggressive stalking. Just take it slowly, I have a feeling they'll be fine. You're aiming for tolerance, not necessarily best buds, although that might happen too.
Good luck!

chico2
December 17th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Hounds003,he is certainly beautiful,looks like a Maine Coon,if he is,they are wonderful mellow big cats.
Badger gave you excellent advice,no need to add,only a great big thank's for getting this beauty out of the cold.The owners who left him should be hung:evil:
Stinky? No,he looks too dignified:D more like Napoleon or something like that:pawprint:

chico2
December 17th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Forgot to mention,I have 3 neutered males,my big tabby does spray on occasion.But I believe it is very unusual,none of my friends with neutered males have any that sprays.

Lucky Rescue
December 17th, 2005, 05:21 PM
He's beautiful - thanks for taking him in!!

I"ve had male cats all my life and never had one spray in the house, even when I had multiple males.

If this guy is calm, and you have only females there shouldn't be a problem. Just introduce him to the household gradually. Adult toms don't usually have any problems with females, no matter how "witchy" they are!:p

He WILL continue to have strong smelling urine for awhile after his neuter, but that will fade in time. Keep him confined for now, since the smell of an intact tom might upset your girls. Badger had good advice on this.

Does anyone know if they're is there a good over the counter dewormer I could buy?

There's no such thing. If you buy over-the-counter meds of any kind, you'll end up spending more cause you'll have to go the vet in the end.

cpietra16
December 17th, 2005, 07:19 PM
He reminds my of a lynx. He is beautiful and his eyes are mesmerizing, I had a male cat, Orca (black and white -hence the name), he was ferrel and never sprayed . He was ~3 when I got him neutered. However,I have a female that srays everytime there is an unfamiliar smell around. Nicki ( another female) walks up to a wall and makes like she is spraying , but nothing ever comes out. Some day I will have to tell her that she is not a male:D. As you see not all males spray;at least in my experience

Prin
December 17th, 2005, 09:53 PM
I was going to say he looks like a Lynx to me. He even has those ear tufts...

hounds003
December 18th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Thank you so much for the great advice and kind words. The neighbour I talked to said the people who lived in our house left him behind. We bought the house from the bank. It must be true because he's very comfortable walking around the recroom. He's not skittish or nervous at all and he's very affectionate, following me around, comes running when I talk to him. He's a large cat and seems very mellow. :D He understandably left hubby with a few claw marks from catching him but it's nice to see he's not scared now. He didn't even attempt to mark anywhere. The girls hid yesterday but their both back in the recroom with him in the crate today. Their all relaxed. I'll separate him if you still think it's necessary but everything so far seems to be going ok.

That's good to know the smell of his urine will settle later. I wondered why it's so strong compared to my girls ie Stinky.;) I think we'll call him Max. Too funny! My girl cat tries to spray us too, her tail wiggles but nothing comes out.:D

There's another cat outside, he/she just started coming here, discovered the garbage. I can stand a few feet away and watch him eat but he keeps a good eye on me and takes off. Would a ferral cat come right up to the house, the door? It's like he wants in but is to scared.

chico2
December 18th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I am really happy to hear it is working out,Max is just gorgeous,no wonder your girls like him:D
Maybe the other cat also belonged to the morons who left Max behind,the poor thing got to be starving to go after the garbage.
You probably do not want 4 cats,but it would be very difficult for me not to feed the other one and it is too cold outside for a cat.
My cats come out with me,but only stay out for a very short time,I can just imagine how a cat would feel who have no warm place to go.
If this other cat is feral,you'll know,but maybe he is frightened for other reasons,having been abandonned.I would start by feeding him and see how it works out,if you have too many cats,maybe someone else would want him.

cpietra16
December 18th, 2005, 04:37 PM
If you don't want 3 cats in the house, you might consider having the other as an outdoor cat. Just build him a warm shelter that keeps the wind out by lining it with some insulation. I did that one year with a cat. I took 2 boxes;one smaller than the other. I glued insulation on the small one and put the other over it...made a small opening for the door, an old quilt cut up and he stayed warm all winter. I also made sure the door faced a wall so that the wind would not blow in. Ofcourse if you find someone who will take him in, even better:D ...keeping him well fed and watered would also be great:D

CyberKitten
December 18th, 2005, 04:55 PM
I think the advice you have received is very sound - just wanted to thank you very much for taking in this kitty and to offer this url on introducing him to the residents kitties.

Good luck!!

hounds003
December 18th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like I stand near the poor cat, watching him eat the garbage. I saw him outside, then the garbage was ripped open so obviously it was him. I have started feeding him and hoped staying with him while he eats will help me get closer to him if he is just scared. He's only been here a couple of days. I'm going to try and catch him, hopefully will, poor thing is so cold. I thought he might not be farrell because he does come right up to the house. I wouldn't think a ferrell cat would? Keeping or trying to re home, I'll deal with that later, maybe he's just lost.

hounds003
December 18th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Just build him a warm shelter that keeps the wind out by lining it with some insulation.

That's a great idea, I'll do that tomorrow so at least he'll be warm in the mean time.

Lucky Rescue
December 18th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I thought he might not be farrell because he does come right up to the house. I wouldn't think a ferrell cat would?

A feral cat might come right up to the door, but would take off the instant you open the door. They will not allow you to get near them. If this cat lets you touch him, he's not feral, but probably just frightened. Also, cats who once had a home but have been stray awhile may seem wild, but usually revert back to being tame once brought inside.

For insulation, get styrofoam sheets. Very cheap and you can cut them to fit any size box you use.

chico2
December 19th, 2005, 07:21 AM
I fed a feral cat for a very long time twice a day,winter and summer.
HS made several attempts at trapping him for neutering and release,but he outsmarted them all.
He would come to my patio-door to let me know he was there,but would go and hide when I came outside to leave the food,he would eat and then disappear..until his eveningmeal.
I know for a fact he was out there making babies,he was caught in the act...with a Calico and she already had 3 kittens with her.
The Calico mom and her kittens were easily picked up and they all got new homes,but"George"would not get caught and one day he just did not show up any more:sad:
I know I've told this before,but I'll never forget"George"...here's a pic I manage to take..

hounds003
December 19th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Awe, George is gorgeous! Poor baby he was so lucky to have had you Chico! It's so sad for so many. :sad: We're in a rural area with an HS that doesn't have a building. It's past a sad situation for cats and dogs.
I made the box and put it outside with a can of cat food to hopefully draw the cat to it. I saw him/her leave the yard this morning and the foods not touched yet. He headed across the road so I'm going to ask the people if it's their cat and hope. He might have also gone to hide in their barn.

Thanks so much for all of your help and advice. If we do catch the cat I'll separate him/her right away, he'd obviously be totally freaked out. The box even looks warm and the vets deworming Max for $8 so I saved a few dollars too!:D

SOS MIOW
December 23rd, 2005, 12:06 AM
I was told to use straw as bedding rather than blankets, as straw is a natural insulator and doesn't freeze. That's why it is used as bedding for animals in unheated barns.

A feral cat rescue group in Rigaud uses straw in their outdoor shelters.

CyberKitten
December 23rd, 2005, 11:20 AM
My gram used straw plus blankets and the main part of the feral cat house (if I can call it a house) was up against her hom, so there was heat from the home and my grandfather fashioned some kind of compressed air thing (sorry, it is long ago and I don ot recall the exact name of the contraption - it may be one he cajoled my dad into creating) that injected heat into the place. Of course, with cats coming and going, heat escaped but there was heat!! Expensive for my grandparents but I swear she spent her entire salary as a nurse on her grandchildren and the cats, lol

chico2
December 23rd, 2005, 03:32 PM
I keep coming back to this thread just to look at Max,he is in my view a perfect cat,just stunning and a very lucky one to boot:love: