Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Web site-- Pet adoption classifieds

Prin
March 6th, 2005, 11:24 PM
I just wanted to post somewhere that we adopted a dog from a person who posted an ad on the following website. It's for Quebec, and it's great. SPCA's list the inventory of dogs-- my dad was looking for a particular "used" dog and got his dog from a shelter over an hour away because of an ad (it's a Jack Russell). Our blue eyed black lab/husky mix came from a lady who was moving to Australia (FREE!). It's great.

And here's my living endorsement:

poodletalk
March 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Hi Prin: I look at ***** website as well. I see many adds that people are giving away their dog which is wrong. My friend and I try to call or e-mail these people and try to educate them. What shelter did you get your dog from? He's a cutie!

Lucky Rescue
March 7th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Agree that pets should never be given away for free. Terrible things can happen to them, and since the owner thinks the dog is worthless, many others will too.:(

Prin, your dog is one of the lucky ones. But everyone is not like you and some people will take a "free" animal even if they don't want it, and many will end up dumped, abused, tied out or sold to research laboratories.

Prin
March 7th, 2005, 12:23 PM
I got my dog free from a lady who couldn't keep her anymore but she screened me hard-core before letting us have her. Just because a dog is free, doesn't mean it's not loved. I get ill from the other way-- people who try to sell 7 year old lab mixes for $300... That's just selling an SPCA dog. When they are free and you get screened, you know they are just looking for the best home. The best home is not necessarily the one who will pay the most.

We went to her house twice, once alone and once with our big Boo and then we took her to our house once and for a weekend, then a week (at this point it was never ending...) and then we got her.

Lucky Rescue
March 7th, 2005, 12:55 PM
When they are free and you get screened, you know they are just looking for the best home.

The best home is not one who refuses, or cannot, pay an adoption fee. If they can't afford that token amount, or don't think the animal is worth a dime, what will they do if the animal needs vet care?

Someone who will take an animal only because it's free is not a home I would be placing any in. There are no guarantees, but someone who is willing to pay an adoption fee for a spayed/neutered animal is at least showing good intent.

I know of people who have refused to get vet care for an animal precisely because "I'm not spending 200$ on a FREE dog/cat"! They feel an animal who was cheap, or free, is not worth it. They won't even get them spayed or neutered.

Also, there are people who earn a living scanning classified ads, looking for "free" pets. This is a profitable business for them. They then sell these animals to laboratories. Charging an adoption fee ensures the animal won't end up there.

An adoption fee of a couple hundred dollars is a tiny token amount compared to what an animal can cost over a 15 year lifespan.

We carefully screen adopters, have contracts, do home checks AND charge an adoption fee. Anyone who won't pay it doesn't get the animal, period. NO, we cannot be 100% sure the animal will never ever be dumped or abused, but charging an adoption fee is one of the steps to try and ensure they won't be.

My animals were all free too - strays or rejects. YOU know you are a good home, and *I* know I am a good home - but to MANY people, "Free" = "worthless".

Prin
March 7th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Yes but even if you charge an adoption fee, it's all about screening. How many people pay $175 at the SPCA and bring the dog back a week later? I think a free dog given to a screened home is better than a $175 dog given to Joe with a credit card.

The lady who gave us Jemma went through 3 homes before deciding on ours. She didn't want our doggy to end up with elderly, people with teenage children, or people with a yard-- weird, I know but she wanted who ever got Jemma to be active with her, not just throwing her in the yard by herself. Having another active dog meant we were already out walking and playing. The lady giving her away was tough- she called us 1ce every week and made us promise to give her back if we couldn't keep her. I still talk to her nearly every 2 months even though she travels all the time. I wish every dog-giver-awayer was this thorough and caring. I still keep in mind though that any dog owner who "has" to give away a dog, is not my kind of dog owner... I firmly believe that your life changes should involve your dog. :) I mean, I bought a house with my boyfriend because we couldn't find another apartment that would allow these big dogs. So many people just leave them behind. :mad:

Isn't the worst the people who abandon geriatric dogs because they can't afford it or don't have the time? That's the saddest. :sad: We always saw our doggies though to the end, as I am sure most people on this site have done too.

Prin
March 7th, 2005, 06:46 PM
But I still believe that people who charge over +$300 for an older, used and discarded dog are just money grubbers.

mesaana
March 7th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Prin: as someone who has adopted an older dog, I find your way of talking about them as "older, used and discarded dog" as quite painful to read... And these dogs tend to need some veterinary care... Who is supposed to pay for it?

I have no problem paying a 200$ adoption fee for an older dog.

Lyne

Lucky Rescue
March 7th, 2005, 08:12 PM
We charge adoption fees for "old, used and discarded" cats and dogs. Not money grubbing - insuring someone really wants it. Do you really think there is a huge profit in getting a $100 - 300$ adoption for an animal that may have COST 500$+ in vet fees, or cost the owner thousands in the last 6 or 7 years?

We've had people all ready to adopt a cat, then when told of the adoption fee, say "Oh, forget it then." Do you think they really wanted it? We see cats dumped because the owner won't pay for special food, or minor vet care. These are not the people we will adopt to.

People will take ANYTHING if it's free, even if they do not want it, and will later neglect, dump or abuse it. You can find evidence of that on this very forum.

meb999
March 7th, 2005, 09:00 PM
I went to see ***** for the first time.

I saw a whole lotta 'will EXCHANGE my dog for another' EXCHANGE???? :eek:
What??? Have animals become baseball cards???

I'm not going back there.

coppperbelle
March 7th, 2005, 09:12 PM
When a fee is charged for a rescue the money is used to make sure the dog is neutered/spayed and is current with all vaccinations. In addition if the dog has any health issues they are treated and the rescue covers the cost. Only then is the dog put up for adoption and yes a fee is charged but it is to cover the cost only. Paying $250.00 for a dog that is spayed/neutered has all it vaccinations and is purebred does not sound expensive to me.

Lizzie
March 7th, 2005, 09:14 PM
I checked it out as well. I think it is terrible.

I agree with everything Lucky has said so far and then some.

It's almost like buying a car---it's an investment. If you can't afford to put any money out for the car how are you going to come up with the money to pay for its gas, insurance and maintenance? You're not.

As someone already said--and I will reiterate because I want to :p --an old or discarded dog being sold for 300 bucks is NOT a profit. It's insurance that the dog is not an impluse buy.

coppperbelle
March 7th, 2005, 09:26 PM
I am not as impressed with this web site as you are. While there are some genuine people looking to find new homes for their pets there are also some obvious puppy mills advertising on this site.
Anyone that has 6 different breeds of purebred puppies ranging in age from 8 weeks to 8 months sets off a red flag for me.
Since it is located in Quebec where puppy mills abound is another indication for me.

Prin
March 8th, 2005, 11:29 PM
What I meant was when people ask for more than $200 for their dog, not shelters. Shelters deserve the money. I'm talking about the family that got a dog and then 3 years later the kids are bored and the parents decide, "well instead of going to a shelter, let's get some money back". There was actually a 6 year old Dobie in the paper one Saturday for $600. These are the people I am talking about. Not shelters or foster agencies.

And to clarify, I adopt older dogs too. I have only had one younger adopted dog and she was given to us unexpectedly. I meant the "older, used and discarded dogs" sarcastically from the perspective of the money grubbers. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I just don't have a lot of respect for people who abandon their animals for bad reasons and on top of that try to sell them off.

I still don't think that the person who pays the most up front will take the best care of the animal. I know people who paid $350 adoption fees and won't pay any vet bills that are not part of maintenance. They won't even buy heartworm pills. I think, as I've said before, it's in the screening, not in the money. People who give away animals have to screen and people accepting animals also have to be aware and be ready to accept consequences.

CyberKitten
March 9th, 2005, 12:21 AM
I think one ALWAYS has to ask for money for a dog or cat or rabbit - whatever animal one has to rehome. I have to respectfully dosagree with your use of the term "discarded". We discard the trash or old clothes. We rehome animals. I know it is semantics but I serve on the Board of a disabilty rights organization and work with many children who have overcome tremedoud obstacles so see how those words used baly affect people.

I must echo what LR said re: an animal being worthwhile. Hopefully, not too many individuals who are not reputable breeders will be "selling" animals (I know, I am looking for utopia) but those who do - say they rescue a pregnant kitty and thus have kittens to place - MUST ask a resonable fee for the pet. "Free to Good Home" is the worst possible words I see and I cringe when I see them. There are so many predators - people who sell to labs as a fulltime job (they often bring children with them, exploiting them as well), people looking to feed their snakes or in the case of dogs, people engaged in dogfighting. Of course they will take a free animal.

While the scientist in me does give much credence to anecdotal stories, I have one of my own that ullustrates this point. One of my patients (the parent of a patient actually) told me about advertising the family's newborn kittens and lo and behold, that day, some man showed up and scooped up ALL four!! I explained to her about "Free to a Good Home" actual end result and she fortunately HAD taken his name and number. It was bogus! So was his address. A parent with a very ill child, she had not taken the time to do a home visit and had relied on his interview. She later discovered through someone else that this fellow ran a lucrative business as one who obtains kittens and sells them to labs. It is unlikely any of these beautiful kittens (the pictures were at any rate) saw their first birthday and if they did, it was a torturous existence of pain.

Asking an adoption fee, something that perhaps covers the cost of the spay surgery (now that it can be performed earlier though that is still not the norm in Canada), is an absolute prerequisite for anyone seeking to rehome newborn kittens, rescue groups and of course reputable breeders.

If a family is seeking to rehome a dog they have to rehome for whatever reason (and I do not see too many valid excuses for doing such a thing to a member of one's family), they should ask a reasonable fee. $200 is not unreasonable. Anyone who adopts a pet must be prepared for a lifetime of care and giving and love. A small fee is but a small price to pay for that.

Anything else I cam add will only duplicate other observations so I better sign off and get back to bed. (One of these nights that I cannot sleep, sigh!)

Lucky Rescue
March 9th, 2005, 01:22 AM
advertising the family's newborn kittens and lo and behold, that day, some man showed up and scooped up ALL four!! I explained to her about "Free to a Good Home" actual end result and she fortunately HAD taken his name and number. It was bogus! So was his address. A parent with a very ill child, she had not taken the time to do a home visit and had relied on his interview. She later discovered through someone else that this fellow ran a lucrative business as one who obtains kittens and sells them to labs.

A perfect illustration of why an adoption fee is necessary. No one selling to labortories or using kittens to feed large reptiles is going to pay 100$ adoption fee. They stick with the "Free" ads.

JUST asking adoption fees, or JUST screening is not enough. A combination of screening, followups, adoption fees and contracts is necessary to help weed out wackos or "bunchers" for labs. Taking every precaution thinkable is the least you can do for your loving and faithful companion.

And someone selling a spayed Dobie for 600$ is NOT going to get any takers, unless she's intact. Then bybers and puppy millers will be replying.

lil'scrappy
March 9th, 2005, 06:10 AM
I totally DISAGREE with this statment that giving away an animal for free is wrong :mad: I have a beautiful Lab cuz his original owner that paid $800.00 for him didn't WANT ANYMORE....
You guys really need to stop with this FOR FREE IS WRONG! The whole world is not made up of puppy mills and labratories, and if you really thought about it puppy mill are looking for animal that are not altered. I too am a HUGE animal lover, but I TOTALLY disagree with this degrading, rediculious post that you keep bringin' up about it being wrong to give away an animal. I feel it is TOTALLY wrong to make a profit on animals that don't asked to be brought into this world. We as humans bring them into to the world as companions, it is greed that drives the seller to jack up the prices of such beautiful creature's just to keep a rescue site going or a human society in tack! The term non-profit is non exsistant! GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRR! it's so upsetting :sad:

poodletalk
March 9th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Your right, the whole world is not made up of ONLY puppymills and labs. Your dog was one of the lucky ones, when it comes to "Free to good home" Not all animals are as fortunate as yours when it comes "giiving away an animal" We want people to be aware,and think twice before they give their animal away to anyone! Not eveyone has good intentions.

There is NO profit made when an animal group adopts out an animal, actually the group is loosing money. Majority of animals who come in rescue groups are NOT spayed or neutered and they did not have their vacinations. For a large female dog, it costs over 100.00$ (even with a discount) then buy quality food on regular basis, plus some animals need extra medical care.

This costs money! I know MANY people who have used their personal savings and cashed in their RRSPS to pay for veternairn bills and charge 190.00 adoption fee, when in fact cost them(personally) ALOT more than that! Why do they do this? For the love of animals!

Lizzie
March 9th, 2005, 08:29 AM
If a person decides to rehome their 2 year old old, for example, that has had all of its shots, been spayed or neutered, had toys, food and a home for that long--I do not believe that asking a $200 dollar adoption fee can be considered making a profit. The original owner would have likely already put out much more money than that.

The adoption fee is but one way people can try to ensure that their animal does not go to a testing facilitiy or other. No one said of course that this is the ONLY way. I believe LR mentioned this as well. There is really NO way of ensuring an animal will go to a good home, but interviewing and asking for money will certainly get you one step closer.

Offering free dogs in the newspaper or online is simply a sign of disrespect for animals---it's a means to an end for these people. They want to GET RID OF THE DOG---not find it a loving home. If by chance a loving home comes along, great...however, this is definitely not always the case.

Lil'RickyMom
March 9th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I see all you guys debating the "free" issue. Here's my point, especially in reply to Lil'Scrappy.

It is not wrong to say "free" is bad. I have been rescuing for 10 years, and in general, people who want "free" pets aren't worth much (from my experience). However, I do agree with the fact that people "selling" their dog is wrong also. People ask for money, but they don't "screen". So in my opinion, a person who is screened, whether they pay a fee or not, is where the dog should go. I have helped families re-home dogs directly from theirs (without going through a shelter), and I have never asked for an adoption fee as I don't put the money into the dog myself. I do ask for a donation, to help other dogs, but I leave it up to the people. If I have the dog in my care, however, that is a different story.

But I don't believe in people asking for money for their dogs, whether spayed or not. I too, feel that they are making a profit on their dogs. It might have cost them a lot of money over the years, to feed, vet, medicate, etc... but if they are "dumping" the dog now, they shouldn't get any money for it. People who turn to me for help couldn't be bothered to screen people, they just want someone to pay because they've been told "free dog" is bad. So people who ask me to help and want money, I don't....

Anyway... everyone has their opinion on the subject, but I do agree that there are tons of bad-intentionned people out there who look for the free dogs. That is why, the MOST IMPORTANT is the screening, not the money they have paid. And of course, a family who "can't" afford to pay, doesn't get a dog. A lot of people, however, have the attitude "why pay for a dog when there's so many out there who need new homes".

I got my dog for free, and always said "I would never pay to get a dog - so many of them need new homes". Other than getting one from a shelter, if I was to adopt from a family dumping, I would not pay either...

So here's my two cents.....

Lucky Rescue
March 9th, 2005, 01:28 PM
and in general, people who want "free" pets aren't worth much (from my experience) However, I do agree with the fact that people "selling" their dog is wrong also.

So if people who want free pets aren't worth much, why do you think someone should give them free pets? Someone should give their dog for free to a person who "isn't worth much"? How can both be wrong?:confused:

Someone offering an intact purebred for big money is "selling" and the new owner is often looking for profit from breeding it.

An adult dog who is spayed/neutered, and the owner is asking a 200$ adoption fee is not selling because there IS no profit. In fact there is a huge loss. My dog so far has cost me over 2500$ (in vet bills) If I offered her for adoption and asked 200$ good will, would you consider that selling? I sure wouldn't give her to a stranger who only wanted her for free.

People "buy" things for a reason and an adult s/n dog cannot be shown, or bred or make money for the new owner in any way.

200$ is a mere token to show good faith. If someone doesn't want an animal unless it's free,what does that say about them? What good is screening someone who says they dont' want an animal if it's not free?

I'm not talking about giving animals to friends or family or other people you know - I'm talking about people advertising "FREE" pets in the paper, and giving them to strangers who have a nice face, or a good line.

It's well known that people will take things they don't want or need if they're free. I've done it myself. But we're not talking about old lamps or used toasters that you can drop in the trash after bringing it home and deciding you don't want it after all, but living creatures with feelings who deserve more consideration.

sammiec
March 9th, 2005, 01:51 PM
But I still believe that people who charge over +$300 for an older, used and discarded dog are just money grubbers.

This absolutely digusts me. :sad: I don't even know what else to say to this. :mad:

I would MUCH rather be the money grubber that would charge over 200 dollars for a dog to KNOW that the people adopting the pet would hopefully even pay for a vet visit, shots, food, toys etc. I would then know that the people are not getting a dog for free that they take into a research facility.

Either way you look at it... someone could pay 1000 for a dog and be a really crappy owner, or someone could pay nothing and love the dog until the day it dies...

But it's important here to remember that this site is about sharing information... it's a KNOW FACT that this is what can happen to animals that are given away for free.

It's pretty narrow minded to believe that every dog that's given away for free has a great life...just because some dogs do... as it is very narrow minded to think that just because someone requests a 600 payment for a 6 year old dobe that they are money grubbers - OR even because someone would PAY 600 dollars for that dog, doesn't mean that they will care for it and respect it.

just for the record, I am completely against people giving their animals away for free; Lucky has made some very valuable points. Even if you don't agree it's priceless knowledge that you should be thankful that someone is willing to share with you.

Katherine1
March 9th, 2005, 03:42 PM
I have to add my 2 cents worth.
The family that I got Molly from gave her to me free - they also gave me a 50lb bag of dog food that they had just purchased for her. They were looking after her (until they could find a suitable home) for a friend of theirs that had moved back to the city and could not take her with them. I guess mine was an unusual curcumstance as they had not placed an ad, they responded to an ad which I had placed looking for a dog. At the time their were no dogs available in the shelters close to me and the ones in the paper were $400 to $800 which I could not afford. I DO NOT consider her WORTHLESS! Even though we have only had her 2 and a half months she is very much an important part of our family. Fortunately she was already spayed although if she hadn't been I would have had it done as I have no intention of breeding any animal.
Don't get me wrong - I am not offended by the debate nor am I for or against free to good home ads - I just wanted everyone to know that even though my Molly came to me free she is PRICELESS in my eyes and very much loved and spoiled.

Lucky Rescue
March 9th, 2005, 04:09 PM
even though my Molly came to me free she is PRICELESS in my eyes and very much loved and spoiled.

I understand. Every animal I've had, with the exception of my present dog, I got free from one place or another. They have all been priceless to me.

I'm sorry if I can't seem to make what I'm saying understandable, but will try one last time.

I said "To MANY people, "free" = "worthless". I did NOT say, "To every single person on the planet...." or "To everyone on this board..."

Did you advertise that you were looking for a FREE dog, and wouldn't take any that were not free? Would you have taken Molly if there was 100$ adoption fee? Do you think that everyone who wants a free pet is going to give it the kind of home that you give Molly? Do you see what I'm saying?

And NO, not every person in the world who takes a free pet is going to sell it to a laboratory, but charging an adoption guarantees that the people who do this for a living will NOT get your pet.

I'm not making this up. It's a fact (bunchers) Please read this article. It goes on everywhere. There is also another good section at the bottom on why giving pets away free is not a good idea.
Bunchers and free to good home (http://www.dogsonly.org/bunchers.html)

mesaana
March 9th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Lucky, I just wanted to say that I understand what you are saying and I agree. Just thought you might want to know that ;)

Lyne

Prin
March 9th, 2005, 05:11 PM
How many people out there thing a dog is worthless period? It has nothing to do with money. How many people buy their kids a dog for christmas and come easter, he's at the SPCA. What percentage of abandoned dogs were originally obtained free? Not many, because there are not many out there that are free. Talking about giving them to labs-- the SPCA here gives animals that are not adoptable to labs. I talked to a lab worker and she said they get their dogs there keep them alive and mildly sedated and do their deeds... I doubt the number of dogs given to labs from families giving away a free dog amounts to the same as what the SPCA gives to labs.

We got our dog free and the lady came to OUR house before she gave her up. How can you give a pet away without seeing where it will live? SPCA's do it all the time. And no SPCA worker ever followed up on our first dog. They never called, never checked our address, nothing. They refused to castrate him, even though it was included in the fees.

I guess when it comes to second hand dogs, it's hard to trust what anyone's motives are.

Lil'RickyMom
March 9th, 2005, 06:03 PM
OK, I want to clarify. I agree with all of you. The issue is very debatable, as my dog was free too and he is priceless. Going on 17 and the love of my life.

However, I have had a guy call me a few years back as he needed a new home for his dog. I did all the screening, found a wonderful family and the guy then says he wants $500 for his dog because it had cost him $1500, went to training school, etc.. I told him I couldn't help him, he had put an ad in the paper (after he had asked for my help), and refused the family who was willing to give them a donation or donate to a shelter. He had someone who was offering him $500 for the dog. I told him that meant nothing, he figured the more the people paid, the better they would treat the dog or keep him. I then made him realize he had paid $1500 a couple of years prior, and was now dumping him because he was moving.

Meanwhile, the guy who wanted the dog had a garage, and the man soon realized his dog was going to have a terrible life.

So a week before moving, he called me back (after I had told him not to bother with me as I had spent lots of time and energy screening, advertising, doing home visits, and so on fot this jerk....), and agreed that selling his dog was in fact a bad idea and what mattered was to find a "good" family who would keep him. I ended up placing him with an older couple who just adore him and ended up giving me a small donation for him.

So it all comes down to this in my opinion: no matter whether the dog is free or has an adoption fee, the family is what matters. I would never adopt a dog out to someone who couldn't "afford" an adoption fee, as they would not be able to afford having a dog either, but I have waived adoption fees for the right families (of course if the dog has not cost me anything).

Hope I didn't get anyone frustrated, I think we just all have our opinions depending on our own experiences with people. So the bottom line is: SCREENING. No matter the money given for the dog (in my opinion - doesn't mean I'm right!).

Lucky Rescue
March 9th, 2005, 08:11 PM
How many people out there thing a dog is worthless period?

Seriously?? How about the millions who dump their pets in pounds and shelters every year, to be killed? The countless numbers who drop off their dogs on highways and street corners or leave them tied to poles and walk away? The MANY who hand out puppies for free in parking lots and flea markets? The TONS of people posting "free" ads or "OBO" or "Will trade dog for TV" etc etc...ads on the internet. :confused:

I'd say rather a lot of people think pets are worthless.

LL1
March 9th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Owners dumping their dogs and asking for big amounts and calling it an "adoption" offends me.It's not an adoption.They are dumping/selling their own pet for some cash.I only hope they send the money to a rescue,but I doubt it.I've never had anyone donate from that to my rescue.While advertising free pets is a really bad idea,I don't think any owner should gain financially from dumping a pet.Just my two cents.

Prin
March 9th, 2005, 11:59 PM
It's funny how it's such a heated topic in the beginning and gradually we all realize we're saying the same thing... Almost... Well we all agree on the screening... I think

Free dogs rule!! (sarcasm) Sorry, just disturbing the ****...

lil'scrappy
March 10th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Wow, I think this topic is wide open to different oppinions, I do have to agree with Sammice on some points, but I do not think that any amount of money will guarantee the safety of an animals life. I've read a lot of stories and inquired about a few ads myself to find family pet's purchased from a breeder for an obscene amount of money, toys and all and because their lifestyle changes or the dogs behavior changes they either neglect the animal, beat it or hand it off, FOR FREE! These are suppose to be animal lovers becaue they paid for the dog, no I still have to disagree. My dog is not the lucky one to get a caring protective loving owner, I consider myself the lucky one for this person trusting in me to give me the dog to me for free with an add that Highlighted the words FREE TO A GOOD HOME. I did not know this individual nor did she know me, could I have given her the right line? maybe? But she did take my number and addy along with my driverslicence, I trusted her with my info so she could fone anytime. It's called faith ppl along with smarts, the human race hasn't lost all thier marbles when it comes to giving away a living creature. Irresponsibility comes from all Breeders, Rescue's (don't even get me started, personal experience) and SPCA not just from a person that can no longer take care of thier pet. My point was there are far TOO many post on this MB the put down freedom of choice as for as giving away animals. I agree inform ppl on how to go about giving an animal away the right way, BUT COME ON.. Don't bash a person's choice to give someone less fortunate! My dogs is not worthless, neither was he's previous owner, nor am I! :sad: Anyone who would write such things needs to rethink their self worth?

Prin
March 10th, 2005, 01:16 AM
That's the thing-- I may be old but I still look 17 and the SPCA didn't ask for ID or anything and never followed up. They said we'd be penalized if we didn't bring the dog in within a month to get fixed and they never called. We tried to get him fixed there but they wouldn't do it without his vaccines but my vet wouldn't give him the vaccines because his age was indetermined. An accidental double dose would have badly affected his immune system. He faxed them a letter saying the dog was ready for surgery and they still wouldn't do it. By this time, the dog was 75lbs and we ended up paying the vet $220 to castrate and remove the dew claws. He told me later that he didn't want to be disrespectful to the SPCA but he gets quite a few animals with complications from surgeries at the SPCA....

Rescues are definitely not saints... I also know a vet who worked at the SPCA here and one of the other vets bragged about being able to do a cat hysterectomy in less than 6 minutes.

:rolleyes: Anybody here who wants their cat's ovaries and uterus out in 6 minutes, raise your hand?

I think ever since I saw the introduction by the incredible lady with 5 kids under 11 and 8 Rotties, nobody can say they just don't have any more time for their dog and as a result have NO CHOICE but to get rid of it. It's always a choice. If you choose to fit your dog in your future, there will be room for it there. If you leave him out of your plans, then yes, come moving day or baby expectancy day or wedding day, the doggy will be left behind. I'm sure if he knew what was going to happen he'd adapt as well as many people expect him to. :sad:

I'm moving in June and I plan to wash my dogs' beds two weeks before any movement so they have their smells in the new house too. Most people, probably very few on this website, I hope, would not think of their animals' needs with all the other things going on during a move. I mean we bought this house because of them. I'm still a full time university student and we couldn't stay in this apartment with the mold and rats and bad neighbors and we couldn't find another landlord that would allow 62lb and 96lb dogs in their building. After an extra year living in this place, we managed to get a house. A small old house further away than where we are now. But that's what I feel I had to do to keep my family together. And that is what I feel having a dog is about.

My point is, they don't know what's going on. It's up to us to try to see it from their point of view and try to help them adjust to our new lives, no matter how busy we become, before we give up and abandon them.

I promise you there is no life change, unless it's severe illness, that can ever make me chose to quit on my dogs. I adopted them with the promise that I would do my best to keep them healthy and happy and that they would have a home with us forever. I don't know where I will be in 15 years but I do know that my doggies will be there with me. And I'm not sorry if I disagree with other dog owners who have envisioned a more temporary relationship.