- Dog Breed Group
- Terrier Dogs
- Origin of Breed
- Scotland, sporting terrier.
- Life Expectancy
- 12 - 15 Years
- Cream, wheaten, red, gray or nearly black.
- Hard, longer, outer coat, an abundant soft undercoat. Weather resistant.
- Exercise Needs
- Exercise should consist of free roaming in a fenced yard or daily walks.
- The Cairn Terrier is bold, alert, intelligent and gentle. He makes a very active, inquisitive and "ready to go" dog.
- Good with Children
- Enjoys children's playful activity. Good with other pets, but males of this breed may tend to fight themselves.
- Grooming Needs
- Never scissors trim his coat, except for the shaping of the feet. Weekly brushing or rubbing with a damp towel. Minimal bathing.
- Average Size - Male (in)
- Average Size - Female (in)
- Average Weight - Male (lbs)
- Average Weight - Female (lbs)
- Health Issues
- Allergies, dislocating kneecaps and hereditary eye diseases.v
- Living Conditions
- House with a yard, apartment, country or city the Cairn Terrier will thieves in any environment as long as he receives attention
The vivacious little Cairn Terrier is an active, hardy, small working terrier. He is able to prove his worth as a dispeller of vermin. He is free in movement, strong, but not heavily built. His head is shorter and wider than any other terriers and well furnished with hair giving a general foxy expression. He is a wonderful family dog, but will always remember his ancestry as a "sporting terrier". He is a great dog for the house and is very good with children. Energetic and always on the watch, he will alert you to the presence of strangers by growling. Originating in the Western Highlands, he is likely a cross between the White Terrier and the Black and Tan Terrier.
The Cairn Terrier is best known as Toto in the Wizard of Oz.
Disclaimer: Pets.ca cannot be responsible for the accuracy of the above presented information. Please double check all information prior to making any decisions about purchasing this or any breed. If you think we have made an error with some of the information presented here, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.