Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 21st, 2011, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Doggy I see on my drive to work

Every day (almost) when I'm driving to work I pass a lady walking, very slowly, a very old Akita. I always tell myself one day I'm going to stop and say hello and ask about her dog. It reminds me so much of Shadow. So today I finally stopped and had a chat with her. I thought the dog might have been a cross because he is quite short, although very thick. Anyhow he's a pure Akita, black and a bit of white. Shadow is black Akita cross. Hers is 14, Shadow is 14. Hers has arthritis, bowel incontinence, you get the picture.... Anyhow, it was nice talking to her. Mr. Big, his name, is on Metacam right now, but it's not helping much with the bowels (I know it). She said he was on Prednisone before for Lupus. So we parted ways wishing each other well, and that one day in the near future we would both be very very sad. Actually two weeks ago when I drove past her she was just standing there while her dog had a nap in the middle of the sidewalk! She just waited for him to rest up some. It was so moving to see that. Then she wasn't around for a few days and I was afraid I had missed my chance, so today when I saw her I stopped immediately. I'm glad I did.
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:31 AM
Half Way To Crazy

you put a smile on my face, I'm so glad you had a chance to talk.
Old September 21st, 2011, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah Breeze, it was kinda bittersweet to chat with her. I knew from watching her that we had alot in common! I offered Mr. Big a piece of dried lamb lung (because who doesn't have a bag of dried lamb lungs in their car???) and she said he probably wouldn't take it, and she was right. He sniffed it, and licked his lips but wouldn't eat it. I look for her every day, it kinda gives me hope.
Old September 21st, 2011, 11:24 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
I offered Mr. Big a piece of dried lamb lung (because who doesn't have a bag of dried lamb lungs in their car???)

ummmm I don't
I don't even have any cookies!!
Old September 21st, 2011, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Okay, let me stand corrected. The dried lamb lungs (and cookies) were in my purse - because who doesn't have dried lamb lungs in their purse???? I keep that stuff at the office for Shadow, so today I had a bunch to refill the stuff at work. But I always have a couple cookies in my purse, right by the poo bags (clean ones)....
Old September 21st, 2011, 11:41 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Okay, let me stand corrected. The dried lamb lungs (and cookies) were in my purse - because who doesn't have dried lamb lungs in their purse???? I keep that stuff at the office for Shadow, so today I had a bunch to refill the stuff at work. But I always have a couple cookies in my purse, right by the poo bags (clean ones)....
now the poop bags (clean ones like you) I have everywhere!!! just in case someone "forgets" theirs (I hate it when people don't pick up)

but treats are far between, my beasts get frozen fruit, and to carry them around?? well can you say messy

just to clerify, I'm not mean, I just have to be careful what Bree eats, and I don't like giving one and not the other

I still think it was wonderful that you stopped and talked to her and Mr. Big
Old September 21st, 2011, 01:58 PM

Very nice.
Why do I feel like I just got a gentle tap on my shoulder?
Thanks for the reminder.
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:51 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyasayswho View Post
Very nice.
Why do I feel like I just got a gentle tap on my shoulder?
Thanks for the reminder.
reminder of???

poop bags??
cookies??
dried lamb lungs in car or purse??
being nice to someone on the streets??

or that life is short make the best of it??

Old September 21st, 2011, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Awww... DD

I'm so glad you got the chance to stop and chat with her. Akitas were my "love" until I got Thorin and now, Nookie. I had a Bronze Brindle Akita named Mi****o. He was absolutely beautiful. Of course, this was about 20 yrs ago now, but if DH wasn't so smitten with Malamutes, I'd probably have another one. I hope you get a bit more quality time with Shadow and that Mr. Big and his owner do as well. 14 is a good, long life for any Akita

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 21st, 2011, 04:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I love that she waited while he had a nap, DD!

I also think it's great that you and she connected in this way Sending that both you and she get a lot more time with your furbabies!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 21st, 2011, 05:29 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

That's so sweet. Obviously lots of love there!!

As for treats, yup there's always something in the car. I think I have an extra leash or two as well. Keep meaning to put a cat carrier in there too.