Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old April 11th, 2010, 10:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Training adventures at Hazel Run

The Pack recently started clicker-training with the Hazel Run Mama.
It being a nice day, they took the HRM outside to run her through her paces.
The Hazel Run Daddy was nice enough to document the session.

We've been concentrating on three new commands and reviewing old ones.

The first of the three new ones is "Look at Mommy". Comes in handy if the HRM is trying to get someone's attention.

Name:  Cass, look at me 4-11-10.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  53.2 KB
"Cass, look at me."

Name:  Belle, look at me 4-11-10.jpg
Size:  69.2 KB
Belle thinks this is an easy one.

Name:  Ridge, look at me 4-11-10.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  73.8 KB
Ridge has always been one to gaze soulfully into your eyes.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 11th, 2010, 10:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The second new command is "Touch". Cole demonstrates:

Name:  Cole, touch 4-11-10.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  78.2 KB
"Cole, touch!"

Very often the Hazel Run Mama gets an added benefit from this one--half the time she gets a little kiss on the hand along with the touch.

The third of the new commands is "Spin", although the Pack is not quite to the verbal command stage on this one.
Right now two of them do it in response to a gesture, four others still need to follow the hand in a circle
and the other two need to be reminded to "Touch" to get them to follow the hand in a circle.

But it's coming along. And the HRM is hoping to have them all in a line spinning in synchrony by summer's end.
(Pictures to follow if the HRM can pull it off. don't hold your breath )

Cole is one of our premier spinners since he invented the trick a few years back. Here he is, in mid turn:
Name:  Cole, spin 4-11-10.jpg
Size:  74.1 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Grace is amazingly good at this sort of thing.

Name:  Grace, spin 4-11-10.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  48.8 KB
She makes a graceful turn...

Name:  Grace, paw 4-11-10.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  67.1 KB
She offers you a paw...

Name:  Grace, sit pretty 4-11-10.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  69.1 KB
She even sits pretty!

Old April 11th, 2010, 11:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ember concentrated on his new commands.

Name:  Ember, look at me 4-11-10.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  46.7 KB
"Ember, look at me."

Name:  Ember, spin 4-11-10.jpg
Size:  81.3 KB
Ember makes his turn.

Old April 11th, 2010, 11:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Brier gets so excited and is so distractable that the Hazel Run Mama
needs to start out with a little hypnotism.
She puts her hands behind her, relaxes, holds her eyelids at half mast, and wills the
wayward Brier to relax with her.
Name:  Brier, relax 4-11-10.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  75.7 KB
Believe it or not, the method works.

Once he's calmed down a bit, he spins with the best of them.
Name:  Brier, spin 4-11-10.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  Brier, look at me 4-11-10.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  86.9 KB
"Brier, look at me."

Old April 11th, 2010, 11:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

But the Pack member who has benefited the most from the clicker is our little waif, Ms Macie.

She used to hate training--she'd hang her head and stiffen up because she didn't understand.
It used to take months to teach her something new because if she even
suspected that she was going to be asked to do something,
she'd simply shut down.

It was heartbreaking to watch, she had so little confidence--
even though she was 100 times better than she was when we first adopted her.

But enter the clicker and suddenly:

Name:  Macie, touch 4-11-10.jpg
Size:  54.3 KB
"Macie, touch."

Name:  Macie, sit and look at me 4-11-10.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  68.1 KB
"Macie, sit. Look at me."

Name:  Macie, paw 4-11-10.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  88.0 KB
"Why thank you, Ms Macie!"

It's like night and day! No more catatonia when it's time to train--
her head is up and she's eager to work!
She'll actually meet the HRM's eyes!

So it's time to thank Auntie LP for the best advice ever--to try the clicker!
Not only the HRM thanks you, but the Pack thanks you, and especially,
Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie thanks you!!!!

Old April 12th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Isn't that wonderful how well Macie has responded to your new method.

Great pics too Hazel. Looks like you've found a great training method to use on the pack.

clm
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh Miss Macie, you brought tears to my eyes , what a good girl you are Of course, HRM had a lot to do with helping you become that confident girl you are now

And Brier learning control I could use some of that hypnotic training so I don't jump around when I get excited

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Half Way To Crazy

the training is going in the right direction Hazel!!

and Ms Macie well done!! amazing what a little clicker can do for some dogs
we are all so proud of you and the other of course

Brier you are just so happy to have found HRM that you must show your excitement.. you and Bree would make a great pair
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Senior Contributor

That's fantastic! Now come over here and do that with my gang.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:07 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
That's fantastic! Now come over here and do that with my gang.
As soon as I get them all spinning in synchrony and get the pics, I'll be right there, AG. (This is another "don't hold your breath" type deal, though... Ms Macie has more confidence about the project than madame hazel does! )

Brier isn't just excited, breeze...he's manic! And every time a breeze puffs his ear, he's looking around for whatever touched him! Definitely excitable, that one. But he's not at all adverse to staring me in the eyes and he picks up on my body language and calmness pretty quick--you should try it with Bree.

Thanks, clm and L4H! Ms Macie is sooooo proud of herself. You can see it in that second shot of her! Getting her to look you in the face on her own was an impossibility just a few months ago. Now she's blossomed into an eager little trainer!

Old April 12th, 2010, 09:09 AM
-

ohhhh Grace is so cute while giving you her paw !! and she's your best student ? WTG Grace ! But they look all so well behaved

and you must be so proud of Macie ! woot woot Macie ! I have 2 like her here. Nelly gets scared when I try teaching her commands. And Sienna gets a bit scared but mostly doesn't know what the heck I'm talking about and just sits and freezes. but they can still come when called & sit / stay.
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Investigative researcher

Great pics, thanks for sharing! Love clicker--but most of all love your green grass--nice place! We had a few blades coming through and then last Friday another 6 inches of snow fell in a blizzard. Dogs wondered what the heck happened to dog park visits and long walks again. sigh.

Congrats on having your lovely pack respond so well!
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:28 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Frenchy, I think Grace is cheating. She grew up in a house with kids and they seem to have dressed her up and taught her things that our dogs don't know. So every once in a while, she'll surprise us with a smug expression and a new trick. But she's definitely a smart little cookie!!

We've had a really dry spring, DoubleRR. The grass is green by virtue of snow melt and one quarter-inch rain we had a week-and-a-half ago. March was the driest on record--no snow! Considering that we live in the middle of a forest, if we don't get rain soon, it'll be like living in a tinder box. I'd welcome a little of your snow--so if you can spare some, please send it on down!

Old April 12th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

aww. They are all so good! And good job miss Macie!

Honestly, since I got the clicker, I dont understand HOW i got keely to do anything before it... It is SO easy to mark a behaviour now!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Brier isn't just excited, breeze...he's manic! And every time a breeze puffs his ear, he's looking around for whatever touched him! Definitely excitable, that one. But he's not at all adverse to staring me in the eyes and he picks up on my body language and calmness pretty quick--you should try it with Bree.
but a handsome manic

the only thing Bree does when "we look into each others eyes" is she lies down
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
As soon as I get them all spinning in synchrony and get the pics
Now, now HRM, don't get all distracted, you are supposed to be working with the pack on getting them lined up at the fence to stand up and wave when I drive by

I was just beaming reading about your packs successes, I feel like a proud momma too (and i've never even met any of the pack, much to my chagrin)

Nolie is a clicker dog too... if only her mom (me) had better timing and hand eye coordination i'm sure Nolie would have training "in the bag" (half the time I click at the wrong time, or drop the treats or say the wrong thing, or step on Nolies paw, or turn the wrong way, or.... you get the idea) Any one got a "clicker training for humans" guide??

Woooooo Hooooooooo Hazel Run Pack
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:03 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

I just saw this,,a huuuuuge round of applause to the pack for the wonderful work they are doing,,,gotta give a special round for lovely Ms. Macie,,what a good girl and she should be super proud of herself.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I haven't forgotten, otter! Spinning is just easier to train than waving. So the waving will come later

Lying down is good, too, breeze...at least she's calm!

Ms Macie thanks everyone for the compliments. She's feeling very accomplished these days!

Old April 13th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Doggie Wench

WAY TO GO!!!! Thank you Hazel...this thread made my day...my week . Can't wait to see the dancing/waving videos . Please tell Macie that Auntie LP is sooo very proud of her .

Quote:
She used to hate training--she'd hang her head and stiffen up because she didn't understand.
You hit the nail right on the head. I even find humans difficult to understand sometimes , I can't imagine what it's like for animals trying to make sense of our complicated ways . It's in the simplicity of teaching with a clicker that makes it so successful imo.

Quote:
Brier gets so excited and is so distractable that the Hazel Run Mama
needs to start out with a little hypnotism.
She puts her hands behind her, relaxes, holds her eyelids at half mast, and wills the
wayward Brier to relax with her.

Believe it or not, the method works.
Uh huh ...tried that with Penny earlier...she jumped up and nearly broke my nose Ouch!! I'll know better than to lean over her next time .

Congrats to you and the pack, Hazel . Looking forward to more pics and news as Macie progresses .
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Live well, laugh often

What a wonderfull, happy thread . I am so happy that pack is enjoying their new training. I have recently tried the clicker with Riley and it has been kinda cool to see him start to think instead of react .

Great pics, especially of Marvelous Macie .
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:15 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

OUCH! LP!!! I was leaning over Brier! Never even thought of the possible nose issue! Luckily, I didn't start the lean till after he'd had his butt plunked down for a while! Something to keep in mind for next time, though...

I'm seeing that same thing in Macie that you're seeing in Riley, TeriM! In her case, she seems to be realizing that there's a way to work with these crazy Hoomans to some purpose (however inane ) instead of just getting overwhelmed!

It really is satisfying to see Ms Macie enjoying herself. She's even asking for some training now (and yes, I'm sure the yummy treats have something to do with it, but hey, whatever works!! ) and she comes running when she sees I have the clicker. She looks at my face more often on her own and she's listening more reliably in the yard, even though that's not an area that we're specifically working on with the clicker.

Old April 13th, 2010, 10:13 AM
-

Those darn red x's ....but being the patient person that I am, I got to see them all ....very cute Hazel, so good to hear that Miss Macie is making such progress bless her

I think that maybe, just maybe Reb might, just might respond to the clicker. Ethel has one around here somewhere I think I will give it a try
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:18 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's pretty easy--if hazel can do it, it can't be sooooo complicated.

for Rebel catching on quick!!

Old April 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM
-

Quote:
It's pretty easy--if hazel can do it, it can't be sooooo complicated.

for Rebel catching on quick!!
Hazel you have to meet my boy, he does nothing quick. In all honesty and I don't want to sound mean, I think the lad is missing something I love him to pieces though
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

He may surprise you, Chris! 'specially if you can find some truly yummy treats to spur him on!

Old April 13th, 2010, 09:41 PM
You can call me DOG!

Hum...I think it may be high time to edumacate myself with one of them there clickers?

So you think you'll have a sychronized swimming team soon Hazel! OH WAIT!!!! the pack doesn't like water!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

No, I think synchronized swimming is totally out of the question! Maybe synchronized wading...but even that will be a really hard sell with Grace and Lil Belle. Evidently they're just so sweet that their feet will melt off if they get wet!

Old April 13th, 2010, 10:00 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Very sweet! Nice to see MX5 has it almost in the bag! She's come a long way lately.
And of course the rest of the gang are no slouches either.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, 14+. Yep, Ms Macie has really gained a lot of focus lately! It's so nice to see!