Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old June 18th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Chinese forced to choose under one dog policy

In the city of Guangzhou - formerly Canton, China . . . . . beginning July 1, each household can raise only one pooch. The regulation won't be grandfathered in, so families with two or more dogs will apparently have to decide which one gets to stay.

The regulation appears to be part of an effort to control stray dogs in Guangzhou, once known as Canton. An hour north of Hong Kong by train, it is one of the richest cities in China and has a rapidly growing middle class that can afford to own dogs.

Many of the first-time pet owners don't bother to spay or neuter their animals and are new to the burdens of keeping an animal. The canines often end up on the street when their owners grow tired of raising a cute puppy that grew up into a big mutt and constantly demands care.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31411348...s-asiapacific/

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick C View Post

In the city of Guangzhou - formerly Canton, China . . . . . beginning July 1, each household can raise only one pooch. The regulation won't be grandfathered in, so families with two or more dogs will apparently have to decide which one gets to stay.

The regulation appears to be part of an effort to control stray dogs in Guangzhou, once known as Canton. An hour north of Hong Kong by train, it is one of the richest cities in China and has a rapidly growing middle class that can afford to own dogs.

Many of the first-time pet owners don't bother to spay or neuter their animals and are new to the burdens of keeping an animal. The canines often end up on the street when their owners grow tired of raising a cute puppy that grew up into a big mutt and constantly demands care.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31411348...s-asiapacific/

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
OK, I'm missing something here.....they want to get rid of strays, so they punish the dogs that have homes and probably turn most of them into strays??? Why not pass a spay/neuter law, that makes more sense to me. Politicians, gotta wonder what planet they're from!
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:08 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

omg having to chose which dog stays and which one suffers a horrific death :sad:

The article say crews have been scrubbing down this city of 12M people in preparing to host the Asian games next year cleaning their streets The Asia regional director for the IFAW is working with government officials to create a fund for affordable S/N, regulate dog breeders, dog tags and vaccinations.

Makes you wonder if this is the reason for the "one animal per home" policy, a reason for another cull in the works and blame it on over population this time

It also mentions the horrifying scenes of cruelty - a massive cull this month of 34,000 dogs that were killed with sticks and rocks in the city of Hanzhong as a result of rabies deaths.

What IFAW is doing and how you can help

Help stop these slaughters:
https://www.ifaw.org/ifaw_united_sta...=DR090601001#x

Contact the Chinese Ambassador in your country:
http://www.ifaw.org/ifaw_united_stat...=DR090601001#x

Pleawe forward to friends, family and colleagues who care about animals as you do.
Old June 18th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

GG,I got that too about the butchering of 30.000 dogsthe pics I saw,unintentionally,stayed with me all through the night:sad:.
I wish we as a country would have nothing to do with China
Old June 18th, 2009, 06:36 PM
-

They did the same for the Olympics. I suscribe to an Animal Sheltering magazine from the US and it showed horrifying scenes of dogs being beaten to death in the streets.
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

This is why I would never step foot in China, Japan, Etc. I am surprised that they have not starting killing each other yet. The most intelligant individuals live there, however they lack compassion for just about everything.

They are so far gone and live in their own little bubble. That whole part of the world is actually behind the times, when it comes too compassion and respect.

ACO22
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor

ACO,I agree 100%,I don't even eat Chinese Food here.
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually Chico, I have to admit that I would love to start a program, where Animal control officers from Canada and the states go to countries and continents and educate shelters there with proper resources on animal control issues. Show them how to handle an aggressive dog, how to use animal control equipement. Also educate people on pet responibity/ownership, educate on spay and neuter, promote cleaniness in shelters, how to increase adoptions, etc,

It would be like Animal Control without boarders. I feel that Canada and the United States, since we are the richer countries in compassion/education, we really need to educate people who need to be educated.

If we do not try and resolve the issue, it will never go away. If these people are not educated, how can they ever learn and really try to change their ways, if they do not know any better.

ACO22
Old June 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Kitty pimp

the way in which cultures treat animals are soo different evan as they are different even among people in the western cultures . Cultures,esp asian countries until very recently and still do in the rural areas, regard cats and dogs almost as livestock. yes yes i know they are smarter than a cow or a sheep (well almost anything is) but in a protein poor envionment that's what happens

NOw in the cities, the influence of western mores and additudes are being seen

AS far as killing them all The cninese gvt (still "comunist" dictator ship}
Installs rather draconion measures for animals and humans alike.

aco as far as aco's without borders think logistics first