Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old June 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Two Dogs Rushed To Vet After Apparent Pitbull Attack

Two Dogs Rushed To Vet After Apparent Pitbull Attack
Friday June 5, 2009
CityNews.ca Staff
The animal was shot dead by police after it got loose in the Warden and Danforth area and went after two smaller canines.

Toronto Police are dealing with the aftermath of an attack by what's believed to be a pitbull. The animal is said to have violently attacked two others dogs in a Danforth and Warden neighbourhood Friday night.

Cops were called to McDonald Ave. around 7pm after calls came in about the canine running loose. They found it attacking and severely injuring two smaller dogs. Both of those creatures have been rushed to a vet in the Beach for emergency treatment and their conditions aren't known.

Animal control officers contained the dog, which was described as extremely agitated. With no other choice, police finally had to put it down, shooting the animal as it threatened to attack them.

It's not known how it got loose in the neighbourhood, what may have set it off or where the owner is.

Under a controversial Ontario law, pitbulls are banned in the province. But those who had existing pets before the legislation was passed were allowed to keep them. Opponents argue the law is unfair because it targets the dogs and not the owners. They also warn it's nearly impossible to tell for sure what constitutes a 'pitbull.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_35132.aspx

Unknown Dog
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Owner

unknown dog for the two little ones'
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:52 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post

Opponents argue the law is unfair because it targets the dogs and not the owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
Owner
I hope they put the effort to find the owner , make him/her pay for the vet bills and charge him/her with negligence ... or more !
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_35152.aspx

Updated story with a video

Police are on the hunt for the owner of a pitbull that brutally attacked two dogs.

Laverne Patrick's pets, Tucker and Naya, are still recovering from life-threatening injuries after they were mauled by the aggressive animal on Friday.

The incident happened around 7:30pm. Patrick was walking her two dogs on McDonald Ave., when out of nowhere the unleashed pitbull pounced on her dog Naya. Neighbours managed to separate the dogs three times, but the pitbull wouldn't let go.

"I saw my dogs' faces and they're screaming and their eyes are so wide with fear," she revealed. "For me these are my babies. It's hard for me to know they're in pain in the hospital."

The dog had no collar or muzzle and was roaming free. Witnesses said they saw a man flee right after the dog bit Naya.
"I don't understand why people wouldn't train their dog to be a little more obedient," noted area resident Nick Borcescu. "It's an animal. You control what they do. Really that shouldn't happen."

Animal control officers arriving on the scene contained the extremely agitated dog. But in the end, police had to shoot the animal when it threatened to attack them.

They're now looking for the owner, who broke several laws.

"Under the pitbull laws, dogs have to be neutered, be muzzled at all times and readily be identifiable," explained Sgt. Jay McCall.

A controversial Ontario law that came into effect in 2005 banned pitbulls in the province. But those who owned their dogs before the legislation was passed were allowed to keep them. Opponents argue the law is unfair because it targets the dogs and not the owners. Some also say it's impossible to determine what qualifies as a pitbull.
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:41 AM

It's terrible that some people have no consideration for others and let their uncontrolled dogs roam free to terrorize others. Reports were that this dog had been seen before. I felt the muzzle law didn't go far enough. It should have applied to all dogs over a certain weight, say 30 lbs, and that way one particular breed wasn't discriminated against. Some pitbulls are the nicest, friendliest dogs you could ever know. My in-laws dog(a westie) was attacked while they were walking along the waterfront. the other dog-a mastiff was on a leash also, but as they walked by it lunged and bit Susie. The owner did pay for the bills, but couldn't understand why his well behaved dog had done that. Susie was just walking past not barking or anything. Scary though, for my inlaws. Susie recovered but they never took her far from home for walks after that.
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with you to a certain extend KMD. I rescue bullies out of Ontario and have to say that I keep pretty close tabs on the ones coming to this province. Not one will be muzzled here and nor should they be. Each one I got are ambassader bullies and I think it is not fair nor right to muzzle animals as this just makes matters worse for the 'type' of dogs they did not ask to be born to. If any breed is aggressive, then muzzle them to secure the public.

A dog over 30 lbs - I totally disagree. I have a 7 lbs dog that should be muzzled - but I choose to take her to places ON LEASH where she is safe and others are safe. I am not shy to tell people - do not look at my dog nor touch. As cute as she is - people listen to my warnings.

I think every dog should be assessed on an individual basis. Pedigree should not dictate nor 'evaluate' whether a dog should be muzzled or not.
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I my heart goes out to the lady whose dogs were attacked. Must have been horrifying for her.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:41 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmd View Post
It's terrible that some people have no consideration for others and let their uncontrolled dogs roam free to terrorize others. Reports were that this dog had been seen before. I felt the muzzle law didn't go far enough. It should have applied to all dogs over a certain weight, say 30 lbs, and that way one particular breed wasn't discriminated against. Some pitbulls are the nicest, friendliest dogs you could ever know. My in-laws dog(a westie) was attacked while they were walking along the waterfront. the other dog-a mastiff was on a leash also, but as they walked by it lunged and bit Susie. The owner did pay for the bills, but couldn't understand why his well behaved dog had done that. Susie was just walking past not barking or anything. Scary though, for my inlaws. Susie recovered but they never took her far from home for walks after that.
That is absolutely ridiculous!! I have a 110lb golden retriever who is the most gentle suck face in the world. I should have to muzzle him why, because of his weight. Pitbulls, Rotties, Sheppard, Dobermans have all been on this stupid vicious dog list at one time or another. It's not the dogs fault, or its weight. It's the idiots who mass breed dogs because of their popularity eventually causing physical and mental defects in the breed. I personally would say you have a better chance of being bitten by a small breed dog over a large. Just no one reports them. Can you see the headlines now, Chihuahua ban due to being viscous. Won't happen but much more accurate.
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
That is absolutely ridiculous!! I have a 110lb golden retriever who is the most gentle suck face in the world. I should have to muzzle him why, because of his weight. Pitbulls, Rotties, Sheppard, Dobermans have all been on this stupid vicious dog list at one time or another. It's not the dogs fault, or its weight. It's the idiots who mass breed dogs because of their popularity eventually causing physical and mental defects in the breed. I personally would say you have a better chance of being bitten by a small breed dog over a large. Just no one reports them. Can you see the headlines now, Chihuahua ban due to being viscous. Won't happen but much more accurate.
I have to agree with Aslan. My min pin falls under this category of vicious dogs. I guess she should be muzzled as well.

My rottie Ben was the gentlest soul EVER - I really do mean it. Muzzling him would have killed me. I cannot imagine EVER doing that to him. My min pin - maybe but not my Rott, may he rest in peace.
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmd View Post
I as well agree with Aslan & benmax.. My Golden is about 60lbs and is scared of the garbage truck. Muzzling her would make hers & my life miserable.

I also feel for the ladys whose dogs were attacked. In the video She says "they are her babies/kids" with that I totally agree & so sad. they make it.
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:34 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

My golden is 85 lbs and has horrible leash aggression whether it be a truck, a dog, cat, bird, squirrel freag an ant. She looks as if she's been trained to kill but unleash her she'll wag her tail While walking I must at all times seen anything before her so prepare my move - either cross or turn around to avoid confrontation.

Guess some think she should be muzzled but I couldn't imagine ever having to do that and feel very bad for all the owners who must cage their animals in public, just awful.
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Master of the Drool!

I have 2 big guys and I can't imagine muzzleing either one, They are both sooo dog friendly that they cry if they can't play with other dogs or kids. I had to stop walking them during school hours cause they got upset when the kids were out and they didn't stop for lovin, I think the bannes should include more of a background search on the owners, not the breed
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old June 8th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat&Murph View Post
I have 2 big guys and I can't imagine muzzleing either one, They are both sooo dog friendly that they cry if they can't play with other dogs or kids. I had to stop walking them during school hours cause they got upset when the kids were out and they didn't stop for lovin, I think the bannes should include more of a background search on the owners, not the breed
I personally do not believe that it is always the owners at fault. I say this from personal experience when I rescued my GSD Max. He was shot and beaten by his previous owner. I DID know he had issues but I did not know the extent to his problem (this is how I started in rescue BTW).

Anyways, there were a few incidents with Max that were out of my control. He was a rescue with issues due to abuse. I was trying (and eventually succeeded) in helping him overcome them - but that took 1.5 years.

Other dogs are badly breed aswell. Purchased in petstores and BYBs. I know that people should not buy from these sources, but reality is that they do. I want to believe (ok maybe having caffine withdrawl right now) that people's intentions are good and not all know what they are getting themselves into - bad genetics. Not to mention that some breeds are more intolerant than others.

Anyways that is just my . I don't know if what I said is worth it - but I flipped the quarter...and lost.....TAILS!
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Master of the Drool!

I agree with you BenMax, mybe I was too broad in what I was saying. The so called "bullie Breeds", alot of those owners (not all) just want a show piece that says "Look at me, I am a tough guy" and they train their dogs as such. I have had 2 ppl ask me if my guys could be taught to fight. It is this mentality I was referring too
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Kitty pimp

ok so it was "maybe a pit bull" and do they know who owns the dog?
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Jim they are still looking for the owner, When the dog attacked.. There was a man (they think the owner who took off running away)

i hope they find him
Old June 8th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Little sweet Bailey(cocker)on leash will growl at people we meet on our walks,imagine if she was a large dog
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Two Dogs Rushed

This happens to me too often when we're out walking (2 poms & poodle mix) and I'm sick of people telling me their dog wouldn't hurt mine especially when mine weigh about 8 lbs. each and their 80+ rotty, pit bull or prey-driven animal charges at us. The other day a neighbour's mastiff x rotty x pit ran across its lawn and crossed the street to stand within 3 feet of us and all the owner said is I told you not to leave the yard and tried for 10 min. to yank it back to its property. This dog is only 6 mos. old, weighs about 65 lbs. and is already displaying keen interest in prey. For all owners of large prey-driven dogs stand in the other's person's shoes and try walking your teeny dogs to see how terrifying these unleashed, unmuzzled dogs look to you. Everyone has the right to walk on a public street without putting your pet's lives or your own in danger.
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Rottie owner and lover

I have a very high prey dog, but he is never off leash nor do I allow the situation to elevate. But it is the tiny yappy dogs that get him started. No offense to small dog owners, but you have to realize a dog is a dog, when you have a tiny thing freaking out, what do you think it looks like to them?. As I said, my guy is always under control, I wish small dog owners around here would do the same.
No dog should ever be off leash, because a dog is a dog, inticts will always win over.
I do hope they nail the guy with the loose dog.
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
This happens to me too often when we're out walking (2 poms & poodle mix) and I'm sick of people telling me their dog wouldn't hurt mine especially when mine weigh about 8 lbs. each and their 80+ rotty, pit bull or prey-driven animal charges at us. The other day a neighbour's mastiff x rotty x pit ran across its lawn and crossed the street to stand within 3 feet of us and all the owner said is I told you not to leave the yard and tried for 10 min. to yank it back to its property. This dog is only 6 mos. old, weighs about 65 lbs. and is already displaying keen interest in prey. For all owners of large prey-driven dogs stand in the other's person's shoes and try walking your teeny dogs to see how terrifying these unleashed, unmuzzled dogs look to you. Everyone has the right to walk on a public street without putting your pet's lives or your own in danger.
Again - it is a two way street, so to speak. It is equally terrifying for a large dog owner, who has worked hard to have a well socialized, well balanced dog, to see some small "harmless" dog to come flying across the yard, street or whatever at their dog. The large dog is supposed to stand/sit there while this two bit terror chews on them without doing anything in return. And please - don't tell me otherwise because I have been there and done that. If you own a rottweiler, pitbull, or mastiff - it doesn't matter what size or breed of dog attacks your dog first it is AUTOMATICALLY YOUR dog's fault. And your dog doesn't even have to do anything!

I find it interesting that it doesn't look like anyone has made any real effort to identify the actual breed of the dog that did the attacking in the original news story. If you read that original story - it appears that the breed identification is based on the fact that it was a large aggressive dog attacking another dog.
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I think we derailed...I hope those two dogs are going to be ok..

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:06 AM
An Honest Contributor

Shaykeija just a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
ok so it was "maybe a pit bull" and do they know who owns the dog?
Exactly! It's said their still looking for the who allowed his whatever breed to roam. for Tucker and Naya
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Pitbull Attack

Well finally this idiot dog was picked up and the owners are going to court after it knocked down a 72 yr. old man who was just taking a leisurely stroll down the street. The cops, ambulance and animal control all showed up after the poor old guy was smashed onto the pavement and suffered a broken arm, lacerations and a concussion. The dog grabbed one of his shoes off his foot and was knawing on that when the cops arrived. These owners should be prohibited from ever owning another dog. Now maybe its safe for responsible owners to venture out with their pets.