Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 15th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Yowling and meowing

I found an un-neutered male cat last week. We have brought him in, he has had his shots, and we are waiting for the 10 days until he can be neutered. In the meantime, this guy does NOT STOP meowing and yowling....no matter what we do, it goes on most of the night, and alot of the day.
Please please PLEASE tell me this will stop when he is neutered? I live in an apartment building, and I'm sure my neighbours downstairs are ready to kill this cat!!!!!
He obviously was an outdoor cat as well, and when I try to bring him on the balcony he attempts to jump (from the 3rd floor) so I can't bring him out anymore...I just don't know what to do!
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Senior Contributor

In my experience, it will stop. I've had screamers and sprayers (sometimes both at once) and neutering does take care of the craziness. It may not be dramatic - the testosterone levels take awhile to diminish - but he will be more settled. I've also had a couple who stopped literally overnight.
If he is interested in playing, try to distract him, cuddle him, whatever redirects his attention and helps him to bond with you.
Does he look like he's been outside for long? Either way, he may be missing his familiar environment. Or that cute little female he nailed recently in the alley :sad: .
Call the vet and see if you can have his appointment moved up, I've taken mine back in in as little as five days.
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM

Yeah, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to wait the full 10 days - I'm not sure why they say that?
When I took him in last week, I'd had him for about 4 days. He weighs in at THIRTEEN POUNDS and seemed healthy overall - BUT, he is missing part of an ear, and shows evidence of being in fights and stuff - so, I'm not sure how long he'd been out for...he seems pretty healthy.

He appears to be content in here most of the time, but goes through fits of yowling and meowing...I try to distract him, but oddly enough he doesn't like to play much - not sure why, maybe his previous owners never did with him?

Regardless, thanks for the info - I'm going to try to move the neuter up sooner...
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:51 PM

your an for taking him in. Any pics yet???

some cats have to learn how to play, sometimes it's all in the toys, have you tried one of the fishing pole type toys w/feathers on the end?? you can make it look like birds flying - that might entice him to play & distract his attention from yowling & meowing. You could also (if you haven't already) tried toys w/catnip - which is again something they sometimes need to learn to appreciate, though some cats go super spazzy w/catnip so maybe after the neuter

The yowling & meowing should lessen/stop after neutering, but he's also not used to staying in one place all the time (ie roaming the 'hood) so some interesting distractions are needed. How about an empty cardboard box w/lid half off or on its side w/ no lid to sit in? or a cat tent? climbing scratch post? something for him to explore

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying