Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 10th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Young at Heart

Introducing a new cat

I have never done this before so any and all suggestions would be welcome. I have Shadow, a 3-yr old male rumpy Manx X (probably Siamese) who, in the past, has been a bit of a bully. Yesterday I brought home the sweetest little female stumpy Manx - the spitting image of Shadow - coal black with a tiny white bib. Maddie, the stumpy, is temporarily living in my bedroom - isolated from Shadow and my two Goldens except at night - the Goldens sleep in the bedroom with Maddie and me. I plan on keeping her in the bedroom until she shows more confidence with the dogs and the new sounds and smells and such then give her the run of the house (with all other animals absent) then introduce Shadow and her.

Does anyone have any comments that will help?

She was neutered yesterday so I'll wait to post pictures when everything improves..
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I am going to tell you what I usually do with new cats that have come in..keep her in the bedroom with the door closed and let the other sniff under the door. There will be hissing and spitting

After a month I opened the door ( it could be longer) let the cat stay in the room. The others may come in but at this point the new cat feels safe in the room and can retreat in her hiding places.

You can leave the door open and put up a baby gate so that the others can not come in. The new cat needs to feel like she can always run back to the safety of the room. Keep her food and litter in that room. She will decide when to go out

Then let nature take its course...let them introduce themselves...sniff, hissing will happen but once the pecking order has been established all will run smoothly...at least we hope...good luck

Don't force it. Let them do it the kittie way
(I have had 2 ferrels downstairs seperated from my other cats and they have yet to venture up stairs...it's been about 5 months...patience is a virtue
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Young at Heart

WOW - a month! I was planning on a few days - so a big Thank You! Shadow has been sitting beside the door but there's no hissing or spitting - yet!
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Introducing a new cat

I have a large (maybe 3 foot by 4 foot) sturdy wire cage that I bought expressly for this purpose. I put the new cat or kitten in the cage (provided she is not so small that she can get through the wire openings) and put the cage against a wall with a large bedspread over it so that the new cat can only see out of the front of the cage. In the cage I have her litter pan, food and water and bedding. I keep her in a secluded corner in the room where all my other animals are. This way they can all smell each other, yet the newbie is protected and can't get hurt in any way, and if she needs to get 'away' she can always go to the back or covered part of the cage. There is the normal amount of hissing for a couple of days. Often, in the evening when I'm home, I'll take the newcomer out on my lap for a bit, and then put her back in the cage. As she gets more secure (sometimes it only takes a few days) I move the bedspread back, so more of the cage is uncovered. I do this when I'm going to be home for a while, just to see if the newly exposed area isn't too stressful. I find that the pets will actually start playing with each other through the wire, etc. When I think the time is right, and when I'm there to supervise, I'll open the door of the cage and watch what happens. By this time, the smell of the other animals is more familiar. I keep doing this until everyone is used to each other. I've done this not only with kittens, but with adult cats that are much harder to acclimate. I have to say, that my wire cage (not cheap, about $100.00) is the very best investment I've ever made for my pets. I have done this with practically 100 animals over the years, and it works every time. It's also easier on you, as the cage is in the room where you are, and you don't have to keep running off to a bedroom or somewhere to give your newcomer some attention.
Good luck!
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Young at Heart

Why, oh why did I not think of using the cage???? I have one - both my Golden puppies were in it until they were about 6 months of age - it is now
folded up on my deck! What a wonderful idea - one which I will use. Since Maddie was spayed on Tuesday and came to her new home on Tuesday, I wanted to give her time to recuperate and adjust so, perhaps the cage will be in use in another day or so - then she can come out to where everyone else is too. I have been feeling guilty that she is alone in there! The cage is big enough for her, the litter box, her food and water and her bed! That will save a lot of scurrying around keeping the door shut, making sure the other animals don't get in - all of that. Thank You!
Old January 11th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inisfad View Post
and you don't have to keep running off to a bedroom or somewhere to give your newcomer some attention.
Good luck!
That's was never a problem since I used my bedroom. After a few days the cat would sleep on the bed with me and my husband...ofcourse that only works if you and your husband like cats sleeping in your bed. I have done this a few hundred times and it worked for me...I guess you have to find what works for you.
Old January 11th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Senior Contributor

So,this is the kitty from the shelter you were thinking of adopting??
Good Luck! I've only introduced kittens to my grown cats and it was never a problem,but I think mine would go ballistic,if I brought in another grown cat
CPietra has lots of experience having rescued many cats,beautiful Tess(her avatar) who was scheduled to be euthanized for one.
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Young at Heart

Yes, Chico2, this is the kitty I adopted from the local SPCA. So far she seems to be doing really well - she is comfortable in the bedroom and sleeps on the bed with me which is nice. The dogs also sleep in the bedroom and last night she jumped off the bed to use her litterbox so she isn't afraid of the dogs at all - they have all touched noses. She is wary with them but not afraid to the point of panic and running to hide. I am going to put her in the crate in the living room for short periods - she had 10 minutes today. Shadow, my other cat, was sound asleep and didn't even come out to see what was going on - which I'm rather glad of. Someone local suggested I get some pheremones from the vet if Shadow and she start to get aggressive.
Anyone ever tried pheremones for this?
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:21 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanM View Post
WOW - a month! I was planning on a few days - so a big Thank You! Shadow has been sitting beside the door but there's no hissing or spitting - yet!
It depends on the cat. I adopted Monsieur le chat from the streets, it only took him a few hours and he was out and about , exploring the house, meeting 3 doggies. It went extremely well. Good luck to you and I can't wait to see pictures of your new addition !
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Jan,her accepting the dogs,her sleeping in your bed is a GIANT step in the right direction,I think it will work out fine
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Young at Heart

Well, hearing that we have taken a GIANT step is sure good to know. She has started eating more - much more which is also a good thing. I have to find a new name for her - Maddie doesn't quite fit. She is such a sweet, loving little girl with huge hazel eyes. I'm a fortunate lady to have her join my household!

Updates on her progress will come for sure..
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:50 PM
-

Quote:
I have to find a new name for her - Maddie doesn't quite fit.
We can help, but we will need a pic !
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Young at Heart

Here's a picture of little Maddie - I have two and neither are really good pictures but they do show how beautiful she is
Attached Images

Old January 12th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww,what a sweety and a lucky one to
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Young at Heart

Thanks, Chico2 - I think I'm the lucky one so I guess we're a good match!

One last pix of her - so, if any names pop into anyone's mind, don't hesitate to let me know!
Attached Images

Old January 12th, 2007, 07:41 PM
-

Shadow, Midnight ? She is beautiful ! Congratulation. Oh and, she looks like she feels right at home already !
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Young at Heart

The pictures don't really do her justice - her eyes are very large and very round so, I'll get more pictures when I can.

Today she ran up to me when I went into the bedroom - a first! I put her in the crate in the living room for about 20 minutes and she was batting at the cover that's over half the crate and sat right at the front of it - with one of the dogs lying with her nose right up to the crate.

Since she is eating so much better now and is more interested in things around her, it may not be long before she will ask to come out of the room. Only problem is, she and Shadow haven't met yet - Shadow my resident male rumpy Manx X... I'm thinking she should be in the crate when they do meet - any suggestions?
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:40 PM
-

Quote:
I'm thinking she should be in the crate when they do meet - any suggestions?
I think that's a good idea.
Old January 13th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree,it would be the best and safest way
I am surprised your male kitty has not felt there is another kitty in the house,my 3 go bonkers even from hearing a cat meow on TV,especially Rocky

My Chico is black and I find it's very difficult to get a good picture of him to show his sweet personality
Old January 13th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Young at Heart

Maddie was in her crate today and Shadow saw her - she hissed at him - he just sat and stared at her! He didn't seem to pay her much attention at all - and I'm very surprised at that. Shadow eventually asked to go outside so I let Maddie out and about to get her smell around the room. Their first meeting then, was no big deal at all.

She has started kneading when she is on my knee so I'm taking that as a good sign.

Names I'm considering for her so far are: Gaia (Mother Earth), Prana (Life Force Breath) and Sable. Nothing really jumps out at me to say YES - that's my name so I'll wait until it does.
Old January 13th, 2007, 05:17 PM
-

Quote:
Nothing really jumps out at me to say YES - that's my name so I'll wait until it does.
It seems like everything is going smoothly I suck at naming pets. When I got the cat last September,I started to call him Monsieur le chat until I could find the right name. I never did ! So yes, it still Monsieur le chat.