Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 28th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Unhappy cavalier king charles pup

Hi every one. Have new pup 9 weeks old. Had her at vets for vaccanactions. He said her lower jaw was shorter than her upper jaw. Has anyone heard of this before and will it cause her any problems as she gets older. I have just discovered this site and hope im doing it right. Once I figure out how to use it properly I hope to find out lots of interesting stuff about dogs and my new cavalier pup.

Last edited by teresajess; January 28th, 2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:11 PM
D.

Location: I am living in the countryside only 6 miles from Brussels.
hi there

Just wanted to say. I am quite new here also. I am sure you will figure everything out soon enough. And there are a lot of very nice people around who will help you through it.
As for your question about your new puppy, I can not help, have no experience at all with Cavaliers, but i am sure someone who has will get back to you soon.
D
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Half Way To Crazy

welcome to the site. i hope you find the answers you are looking for. there is alot of knowledge here and i am sure someone can help you.
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:18 PM

Undershot jaw
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hello, teresajess, and welcome to the forum.

Did the vet say if it was a functional 'flaw'? Some of our dogs have overbites, and all of their bites are functional--that is, the teeth still mesh well enough that they can chew and the teeth don't rub so much on each other that they cause damage when they chew. If the bite is just a little 'off', it shouldn't lead to any major problems with your new baby. At nine weeks old, it is possible that your pup's bite may also correct itself as she grows.

I'd ask the vet next time you take your baby in, just to put your mind at ease. And, speaking of babies, I love Cavalier King Charles Spaniels! You wouldn't happen to have a picture to post, would you?
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Relax! Unless you were planning to show him in dog shows it really is not a problem, will just give your dog added character and will give the appearance of a slighter longer nose

If he is having problems getting kibbles out of a flat bottom bowel especially when it gets into the corners, all you need to do is use a round bottom bowl(like a mixing bowl) instead

Some racing greyhound have pretty major overbites

Like the black an white boy Cork in this link (click on picture 2 for him to see the side view) and you will see how back his bottom jaw is. He was a sucessful race dog and would have ate they exact same foods are any other dog in the kennel. http://www.greyhound-data.com/adopti...de=gd&z=cadocb

And here is another significant overbite

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forum. I don't have any advice about the jaw, but I do agree with what OntarioGreys and the others have said.

My friend has a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, they are so cute. What colour is yours? I would love to see some pics
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Remembering Lukka

Hello and welcome
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:32 PM

I LOVE cavaliers!

Unfortunately because they went “out of fashion” back in the 1800 this breed was left with not so great blood lines and so, to this day they have a lot of health problems :sad: .
I al looking to get one but I would NEVER get something like a cavalier from a store or a back yard breeder, it is too risky.

I would talk to a breeder, go to http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/ and find some good breeders and try to contact them for more information.

I have seen dogs with quite severe over or under bites that are doing fine so just pay attention to any problems and have fun with your new puppy