Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Vlad + curiosity = The death of me

OMG, look what he did last night:

It's official, I can't even have wall shelves. I had this floating wall shelf, I thought it was narrow enough to keep him off. Nope.

Last night at 11:15 I heard a crash. When I came downstairs, I saw Vlad at the scene of the crime looking up at me. The shelf on the floor, the mummy candle holder in pieces and the acrylic figurine missing it's base. About the only one to come out unscathed is the bust you see there in the picture, and even that has a chip on it.

Here is a previous victim:

What I'm holding is supposed to be on her headdress He's also knocked down an Icon I have of St. Barbara. Her hands have pieces broken off and the tower that sits next to her is in two pieces. I had to buy a small shelf and hang it 7 feet up on the wall near the entry, where there is nothing for him to jump on.

*sigh*

When I was moving my dad was joking with me, "you have so much art, your place is going to look like an art gallery." Well dad, that's because it's the only form of decorating I can do! Grrr

He's real lucky he's as handsome as he is.

There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Oh Vlad!!! Silly kitty!!! He is a sweetie though. One look at that face and he would be forgiven.
He is probably trying to figure out why you had a nerve to put up a shelf that wasn't big enough for him!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
banned user

Awwww. You can't saty mad at that face.. Can you?? .. bad puddy tat! I loove mummys and anything egyption really. lol
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
Kitty pimp

what can i say been there bought the super glue
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

What really gets me is that shelf was not very steady, and they have all tried getting on it before. I've caught him on several occasions! You'd think that if it was all rickety they wouldn't feel right about walking on it. But nooooo, not my gang.

In hindsight I'm glad he didn't get hurt. That candle stick could have hurt him.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
Kitty pimp

lol probaly regarded a rickety one as a challenge
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:46 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Jim, that is so funny.

I can't see it being one of your sweet kitties , it must have been a gremlin.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, a black 18 pound gremlin.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
Kitty pimp

a black 18 lb gemln that sheds and purrs lol
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So what was he watching on TV afterwards? (I see the remote next to Vlad on the couch! )

He knew he wasn't going to get hurt, ancientgirl. Egyptians worshipped cats, so he had lots of divine protection as he attempted the impossible shelf.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
-

Must be a black cat thing Paddington gets into EVERYTHING !!!
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Jim, at least the shedding part. Vlad rarely purrs. When I get home I'm going to super glue the heck out of that stuff.

Hazel, he must know about the whole worship thing. As much as he drives me nuts and I yell at him sometimes, he knows all he has to do is give me nose touchies and I'm like buttah. Maks is the big TV watcher, but Vlad likes to think he owns everything.

Frenchy, it must be a MALE black cat thing. Oksana really doesn't get into much. Although, being as Vlad is such a good influence on everyone, I did see her jump up on the hall table where she never jumps on, yet Vlad seems to think it's his own special perch.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:34 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Oh Vlad - silly kitty!
I have now just figured I can't have nice things.. Because when I do, it's only a matter of time before they are in pieces..

Maybe those items can still be displayed.. just in a drawer..

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I have so many things in boxes. I just never took them out when I moved, because it was hard enough keeping things in one piece with just Vlad and Oksana, but now with Maks and Kiska it's impossible. I'm hoping that once Czarina is allowed to fraternize with the rest of them she won't pick up their habits of jumping on stuff and knocking it down. But I won't hold my breath.

I've got I think 3 or 4, I can't remember since I haven't seen them in so long, medium to small swords. Can I display them on my sofa table? Um...no. There's just no way I can keep them off of that stuff, so I just don't even try.

That particular wall where I had that floating shelf is made of concrete, so it was damn near impossible drilling through it. The art I do have up is because I've been able to use the nails the former tenant left. I think I may just have to adopt the minimalist way of decorating when it comes to stuff like that.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
border collie mama

your right, he sure is lucky he is so handsome!
Old July 22nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I think it is a black-cat thing,Chico is always jumping to high places,on top of my armoire,on top of my high dresser in the bed-room,just the other night he knocked down a glass-ornament i have of 2 doves,luckily it did not break.
But we love them anyway,don't we
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Note to self: When I get a cat, avoid black ones! What an adorable little troublemaker!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

No wonder they're the Halloween mascot! Troublemakers!

Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I have 2 way tape under some of my things. It's not so bad with the ones I have now but one of my previous cats, Teddy, LOVED to knock things off shelves, tables, etc.

And I feel for you ac. The other day I walked in to my home office and one of my floating shelves was on the floor, ripped right out of the wall. While it is possible it happened on it's own my first thought was a cat tried to get on it and it came down. When my nephew's gf saw it the first thing she said was "Which cat did it?" I have HUGE holes in the wall now where the anchors came out. :sad:

I have to be really careful with Smitty cuz if I leave a glass on my nightstand it's a guarantee he'll have it knocked over by morning. I have gotten in to the habit of making sure the glass goes in the drawer until morning if I don't get up and take it to the kitchen. Had too many times of cleaning up water or worse yet, rescuing the laptop from the pouring water off the nightstand.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracko View Post
And I feel for you ac. The other day I walked in to my home office and one of my floating shelves was on the floor, ripped right out of the wall. While it is possible it happened on it's own my first thought was a cat tried to get on it and it came down. When my nephew's gf saw it the first thing she said was "Which cat did it?" I have HUGE holes in the wall now where the anchors came out. :sad:
Yep, I've got two of those holes now on my wall. I've got Spackle to fill in the holes, but I don't have any paint to paint over the white. I may have to fake it and just get a few paint colors and just paint some geometric pattern and pretend it's art.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
Senior Contributor

(i'm sorry )
Vlad the conqueror He's got to claim every square inch of the place as his own, shelves and all

Misery (black cat) has a thing for high places. I've got a couple of high shelves with my goodies on them, Misery sits and stares at them, just plotting how to get up there So far i've been lucky
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:48 PM
~Cat Servent~

Silly Vlad... I remember those loud wake up calls! Windy and her giant tail were not always graceful...and now with 6, well I just downsized the chachkie collection!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:07 PM

Vlad just wanted to know if the mummy was hiding some treasure, you know like ancient egyptian catnip

I've been very fortunate all my cats have been occasional climbers but never knocked anything breakable over & hardly anything else other than purposely dropping a pencil or pen to play with

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Chase_mom,don't let a few acrobatics deter you from black kitties,Chico is also the cuddliest,sweetest little guy(16lb's)I can kiss him,and slobber all over him,he does not mind.he loves it
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

He just likes knocking stuff down. Oksana is the one who likes to be up high and looking down, which is why she keeps breaking into the kitchen. She wants to climb up on her cabinets.

Chico, Vlad will let me do just about anything to him. I can hug him, smooch him, clean up his face, clip his nails. He'll just sit there and take it with little protest, but boy when I let him go he bolts!

Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
-

Bad Boy Vlad ....and he looks so innocent in that pic.

The Egyptian lady is beautiful.....I hope you were able to repair her.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Bad Boy Vlad ....and he looks so innocent in that pic.

The Egyptian lady is beautiful.....I hope you were able to repair her.
That's my Elizabeth Taylor Cleopatra Barbie. Luckily, I was able to Krazy Glue that piece. He's such a trouble maker. He knows better than to mess with her