Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 31st, 2007, 06:47 PM

Lets talk Bloat

Hi Everyone,

I was surfing around the net tonight and came across an article on bloat in dogs. After reading I now realize that my beloved family lab died of bloat almost 6 years ago now Chela. I remember my parents explaining what happened, but I don't remember the word bloat. It was the most horrible thing I've ever seen.....and I'll end at that.

No sooner after I feed Jade, and when she's done doesn't she let out a huge burp! Thanks for scaring the **** out of me for an hour! But all is fine, she not showing the signs.

One of the webpages I came across stated that:
1. Avoid brewer's yeast, alfalfa, and soybean products
2. If feeding dry foods, avoid foods that contain citric acid. If you must use a dry food containing citric acid, do not pre-moisten the food
3. Do not give water one hour before or after a meal

1. Jade is eating a mixed diet of Orijen Adult and Canine Life Muffin which both contain Alfalfa
2. I read on the Orijen website that the fish they use is preserved with vitamin E and citric acid
3. Really? because I like a little water with my dinner? She doesn't drink tons and tons of water.

I also break up the muffin and mix it with the kibble and a little warm water. Is this bad? I do that so the muffin bits stick to the kibble.

She doesn't have a really deep chest, but after seeing bloat....well, I want to make sure that I'm not contributing to an environment that could cause it.

Jade never scarfs down her food, she is actually very meticulous about eating the "layers" of food. I always make sure that she has her calm time before and after dinner.

I didn't know the causes of bloat, but the prevention methods mentioned above confuse me. I don't want to do anything that puts her at risk, but.......

The website didn't list any sources.......I would appreciate the community input on this

Thanks,
Samm

Last edited by sammgo21; October 31st, 2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: needed clarification
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:58 PM
-

Bloat and torsion is not well understood (scientifically) and it is a very frightening prospect. It seems to be something which afflicts deep-chested dogs and may have something to do with neck position during eating. It may have something to do with citric acid ~or not. The BEST and most consistent advice is no exercize for ~ at the very least ~ 1/2 hour before and after feeding. My feeling has always been that the more deep-chested the dog, the longer you should extend these no-exercize periods.