Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 17th, 2007, 10:13 AM
FirstTimeOwner

limping puppy

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this board.

I'm a first time owner of a 3 month old puppy. I noticed that he started limping yesterday on and off. I'm not sure if it started yesterday or if it's just when I noticed, but it seemed to get better through the day (no obvious limp or pain) and then it appeared painful again. He's otherwise in good spirits and is eating and going to the washroom well. I'm not aware or any injuries, but he is quite an active pup and easily gets into michief.

I've taken him to the vet who is keeping him for further x-rays. He appears to have some pain in his lower back and leg. I'll be getting him back later today. What could have caused this? Is this common? I'm so worried!!

Thanks!
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:45 AM

You don't say what kind of dog you have. Is it possible he was stepped on or fell? Or perhaps stepped on a yellowjacket? At this point it could be anything.
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:56 AM
-

Honestly, there are so many problems to choose from ~ disc problems, hip problems stifle problems or it could be a muscle or tendon issue rather than a bone or joint issue... let us know how you make out with the xrays and let's hope it isn't anything serious.
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Is your pup a Dachshund? I am probably jumping to conclusions but since your profile doesn't state breed type I am worried as I have had Dachshunds with major back problems. Other breeds suffer as well from disc disease. I would have the X-Rays done - and fast. Please report back and also let us know the breed of dog you have. Some conditions while common in some form to many breeds, are almost guaranteed in others, sad to say.
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:17 PM
FirstTimeOwner

Thanks!

Thank you all very much for your replies. He's a lab/collie cross. His x-rays showed no fractures. However, there was some damage to his growth plates but the vet said it shouldn't have any impact on him in the long run. I'm so relieved. I would like to crate him all day and have him just rest so he can heal faster, but being a puppy, this isn't working out too well. He's on pain relief medication, but otherwise fine. I'm not sure how he got hurt, but I hope he'll be back to normal soon. Thanks again!
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:36 PM
-

that no permanent damage has been done !

With larger breed puppies it's specially important that they don't do alot of jumping, hair-pin turns or hard-surface running until their growth plates have fused completely.
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:21 AM
FirstTimeOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
that no permanent damage has been done !

With larger breed puppies it's specially important that they don't do alot of jumping, hair-pin turns or hard-surface running until their growth plates have fused completely.
I didn't realize that. Thanks for letting me know! Restricting him to his crate hasn't been very successful, but our floors are very slippery since we don't have any carpeting. He's very exuberant and is constantly falling on the flooring. I'm going to have have my mom move him outside during the day for the next few days. Hopefully the grass will be easier on him. Thank goodness it's supposed nice outside for the next few days... Thanks again!!!!
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:30 PM

A solution for this is to go and buy a few cheap rubber-backed rugs or runners and put them down in the areas that your pup is most likely to be walking on. It won't look terrific as far as decor goes, but it will really help this problem .. I had similar problems and this worked great.