Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 28th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Zentonil (SAMe) - keeping it down

Hi all,

It's been quite a ride since last Friday, when our seven-year old domestic shorthair cat was diagnosed with Hepatic Lepadosis (fatty liver). She was just finishing a long course of Clavamox (antibiotic for urinary tract infection), when we moved into a new house. Shortly after we moved she stopped eating on her own.

The treatment is force-feeding her. (If she can't keep the food down or won't be fed, we will have a feeding tube installed.) The amount is 180 mls per day. Initially I thought it would be better to feed her smaller amounts, more frequently, but the frequent feeding stressed her out, made her vomit, and fight the feedings. So I'm now feeding her only four times a day. She's been vomiting a little, roughly once a day, but the lion's share of the food is staying down, so for the moment we're not going with the feeding tube.

I researched the 'net and found out about SAMe, and I asked our vet about it. She was willing to prescribe Zentonil, but if it causes her to have trouble keeping her food down, she doesn't want us to use it. The amount of food she ingests is more important.

We've given her three Zentonil pills (100 mg) in total. The first day there was no problem. The second day, she threw up the pill and little bit of food, but a full 5 hours after she'd taken it. We skipped a day, then the same thing happened - she kept the Zentonil down for several hours, and then it came up with a little bit of vomit. For both of the pills that she threw up, the pill is still sort of intact, like a little bag - the coating becomes loose, and there's a little disc inside. From what I've read, I think the medicine is able to get into her system through the coating.

I don't honestly know whether the Zentonil is causing her to vomit - I've been advised that if it was, the vomiting would be more immediate.

The information on the Internet about the benefits of SAMe / Zentonil to improve the prognosis is quite convincing, so I really want her to take the Zentonil if it's at all possible. I'm curious about giving it to her every other day. She keeps it down for several hours, and I'm hoping that's long enough for most of the SAMe to get into her system.

Given the state that the pill is in when it's thrown up (little bag), can I still assume that the medicine is benefiting her, because it's been in her stomach for so long? The time required before the next feeding is only one hour.

I have been and remain willing to do whatever it takes to save our kitty's life. Even if the Zentonil is causing her to throw up a little, if it can improve her prognosis, I want to keep using it. I just want to know whether it is benefiting her.
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:11 PM
-

Does it come in liquid form? I have used Essiac tea for liver problems. Also, milk thistle but don't know if it comes in liquid form.
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I work for a nutraceutical company and I can tell you that SAMe for humans is supposed to be entric-coated or it can cause nausea/vomitting. Wonder if they do the same for animals?

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:55 AM

Hi Dracko,

You are correct, the Zentonil is entric-coated. I read that it needs protection from destruction by stomach acids. I'm assuming that the medicine gets drawn out through the coating gradually (I guess that's really what I was hoping to confirm).

This morning's dose of Zentonil went well - she did throw up tonight at about 8:00 PM, fourteen hours after she took the Zentonil, so I know it all got absorbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracko View Post
I work for a nutraceutical company and I can tell you that SAMe for humans is supposed to be entric-coated or it can cause nausea/vomitting. Wonder if they do the same for animals?
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Does it come in liquid form? I have used Essiac tea for liver problems. Also, milk thistle but don't know if it comes in liquid form.
Hi Rainbow,

I've never heard of Essiac tea, but I may look into it later, i.e. for ongoing maintenance once she is better. I have heard of milk thissle, and I'll look further into that too. For now, our vet wants us to keep the number of things she's taking to a minimum. She is doing much better with the Zentonil now.

Thanks!