Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 25th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

YUCK! Ticks are vampires!!!

Just found a tick in my bed, (yup, dogs sleep with us!!), and had it verified by the resident libarian/entomologist here at work. The only thing is the bug was on ME!! AAUUGGHH! Now I have to watch for lyme disease! Yikes! Good thing I'm a tough ol' bird! I live in London Ontario, so they are in this area for sure!!

So, be warned, flea and tick season is upon us, and I am living proof! I actually have the little sucker right here beside me on my desk at work, in a jar!

His days are numbered!

Bath time for all the pets now (6!), and time to fork out the yearly chunk of dough for heartworm tests, Revolution and premise spray!! Yea me! I couldn't be happier......NOT!
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:22 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

LOL I know how you feel Lezzpezz, I pulled one off of Simon almost 2 weeks ago and found another live one on the floor last night (dunno who it came off of). Just nasty and I'll refrain from posting pictures like the last thread I started about tick season

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:22 PM

I can barely stand to find and pull them off the dogs let alone myself! About 4 years ago, I just stepped out of the shower and one of those little buggers was in my scalp! I freaked out..crazy naked lady with a tick on her ...after doing the icky...what am I going to do dance...the darn thing just fell off!
I just hate this season! Skin crawlies until fall!
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:44 PM

trying not to picture naked lady with ticks!!

Sorry but the visual is hilarious! Naked, wet and freakin' out!! HA ha ha!

Yes, imagine my surprise when I wandered down the dark hallway half asleep and flicked on the light only to see, what I thought was, a drop of raspberry jam on my neck! So I sez to myself, "Self....why on earth do you have raspberry jam on your neck and how on earth did it get on there while you were in your bed sleeping??". Then I started to scratch it off, (like a little velcro patch...quite attached to me!), and thought, "BLOOD!!??" and then it started to walk!! I was suddenly rather wide awake! Holy crapola! A BUGSUCKER!!

For some reason, I stuck it in a jar and remembered that we have an entomologist on staff at work, and fascinated he was!! Out came the books, magnifying glass and the final identification. First thought was a bedbug, (10x the horror factor here!! ), but turns out to be a tick! Not nearly as frightful an outcome.....
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:51 PM

HeHe..Oh yeah..when that spot all of a sudden grow legs... What a rude awakening that must have been! Nasty creatures...just nasty!
Old April 25th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Ugh

Now I have the crawlies... I should have known better than to read this thread. A few years back I found a polyp kinda thing on Shadow's neck and mentioned it to my doggy daycare fella. Said I'd have to take her to the vet to check it out in case it was cancerous. One of the staff asked to look at it and said - oh it's a tick I'll take it out. She used to sleep with me back then too. Eeeewww. They laughed at me when I said I liked the idea better when I thought it was a tumour Of course not really, but kinda.
Old April 25th, 2006, 04:53 PM

ka-ching!!

Just booked the dogs in at the vet on Friday morning.

Heartworm tests for 3 dogs: $78.00;
6 months worth of Revolution for Rosie: $82.27 (including GST );
6 months worth of Revolution for Lennox and Dawson: $219.38
Grand total for single trip to the vet this time: $379.65
Not having to deflea house and dogs, or worry about any parasites for the entire season: PRICELESS!!!