Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 19th, 2005, 12:46 AM

Yucky ear

On Saturday I was doing some basic grooming stuff with Abby (a 5-month-old golden retriever) -- brushing her, cleaning her ears, brushing her teeth. I did one ear, and she didn't object at all. That ear was pretty clean, and it was over and done with in seconds. Her other ear -- well, it was just gross, really dirty. She seemed a bit more anxious about that one, but after I talked to her softly and calmed her, she laid down and let me clean the ear. Didn't wince, cry, or act like she's in pain. Today, I was scratching her ears, and I noticed that the ear is FILTHY again -- a brown, crusty dirt in it. Ack. The thing is, she doesn't seem to mind if I scratch her behind it or even touch/play with her ear. Then again, I don't think this dog is very highly attuned to pain/discomfort -- things have happened to her that I KNOW should have hurt (an inflamed incision from her spaying, shots, etc), and most of the time, she never so much as flinches. It's hard to tell if something's wrong with her because she acts normal.

The last few times I had a concern with Abby (stupid stuff like noticing a flea and calling to ask what kind of shampoo would be safe to use on her or being concerned because she had a bug bite), I called the vet and was treated like an idiot because it turned out to be nothing (my attitude was, hey, I'm not trained to know these things, and you should be glad that I'm concerned for my pet's well-being instead of getting irritated with me). So I'm kind of wary about calling yet again.

My question is, does anyone know what this could be, and should I just take her to the vet anyway?

And yes, for those of you wondering why I'm still going to a vet who treats me like I'm stupid, I am looking for a new vet. I've been asking around for recommendations, but everyone that lives in my area seems to take their pup to the same place I'm going to I may just bite the bullet and take her to the place my sister takes her pup to, even though it's like half an hour away.

Last edited by Shannon1215; August 19th, 2005 at 12:49 AM.
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:08 AM

Allergies. If an ear gets dirty almost faster than you can clean it, it's probably allergies causing an ear infection. You should go to the vet to get it really cleaned out and get anti-fungal, anti-bacterial drops for the ear (we always get Otomax- it feels goooood... ). Then it's usually a few drops twice a day for 10 days, while massaging the ear.

My vet says don't use regular cleaners in the infected ear as it really stings. In a healthy ear, there is no problem, but you can create an aversion to having ears done really quickly if you try to clean them with regular stuff (to the point where you say "ear" and your doggy runs away..).

But keep in mind that the infection is a symptom. Check the local weather service near you for a pollen report, and see if there is one pollen that is especially abundant these days. I know in Eastern Canada, it's full on ragweed season... It could also be a food allergy. Jemma's ears were relentlessly dirty from wheat and corn allergies. We switched her to Solid Gold Wolf King (bison and salmon food with no corn or wheat), and the infections cleared up after a couple of months.

I hope you find a new vet who is less of a meanie (can't use bad words... )
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Has she been checked for ear mites? I would definitely take her in to the vet and have them look at it.

Although, you should find a vet that you are comfortable with. If you are uncomfortable, your dog is going to pick up on this and then she in turn will be uncomfortable and will know that there is something about the vet that you don't like and she will fear the office visit as well.
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:28 AM

Thanks, I'll take her in tomorrow. Poor pup.
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:08 AM
Critter Lover

If its a yeast infection get a product called Excel Ear Powder.. by 8 in 1 .. its the best I ever found for this problem.. the active ingredient to look for is lodoform 5% .. it also has boric acid powder & talc.. ( look online ) for it..

Nutmeg

weblog @ [url]http://tangynutmegsspirit.blogspot.com[/url]
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

My lab always has that problem. I was told that because their ears flop down there is not alot of air circulation...and my dog loves the water. If water gets in or she rolls in wet grass, I have to clean her ears and dry them or she will get an infection. I remember living in BC where she was always wet and I was visiting the vet almost monthy until I was told what the problem was. Good luck
Old August 21st, 2005, 12:51 PM
Critter Lover

Yes floppy ears.. definatey.. I have a basset hound.. but this product is a godsend.. or a British product.. Thornix..

Both invaluable for Yuky ears

weblog @ [url]http://tangynutmegsspirit.blogspot.com[/url]
Old August 21st, 2005, 02:34 PM

Just be careful how you use anything that is anti fungal or antibiotic because if you use it sporatically, you will end up with resistant bacteria and fungi that will be much harder to deal with.
Old August 25th, 2005, 08:45 AM

She seems to be doing well. At first she REALLY didn't want me to put the drops in her ears, but now if I talk to her softly and reassure her, she'll let me put them in without even having to hold her down. Good puppy.