Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 25th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Senior Contributor

8 more cats to be euthanized...please help

Hi Guys, my cousin works in the industrial part of Lachine, (Montreal) and has been looking after a few generations of cats who have at one point or another been dumped. Everyone who worked in her building would help as much as possible, especially in the winter months. Many workers now have +2 cats . Hard to say no to a helpless stray Anyway, she has a new boss who can't stand cats and last month called the city of Lachine and asked them to get rid of all the cats. The city has captured around 8-9 cats, including 2 pregnant mom...all killed. The remaining cats have been trapped but let go by employees. They can't keep doing this and are now asking for anyone who may want to foster them or adopt them..they are desperate and willing to travel to find new homes. I will have pictures of them soon. Some are definately house cats as they are way too friendly, and some are wilder. The city workers told them that they would be taken to the SPCA and not killed, but when my cousin called, the SPCA had no idea of what she was talking about......I know everyone on this board has more than their fair share of cats...including me...but I may be able to take in 2 ( one is a tiny baby, who keeps going in the trap but is not heavy enough to trigger the door, so she keeps getting the food and never caught)...the other has been trapped 2x but as soon as they transfer him from the trap to another carrier, he runs off...very lucky guy)...anyway can anyone help.....please. the traps are very small and they are left oustside until someone calls them to tell them a cat is in the trap....I'm afraid that a cat may get in during the wekend andleft there without any protection from the cold....the traps are so tiny that once in the cat can not move at all.....:sad:
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:31 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's awful :sad: I wish I could help...

for finding foster or adoptive homes for these poor kitties.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Can anyone help?
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Who is contracted in this area? If BB - then the cats are euthanized. If MSPCA then they stand a chance.
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

If there is any organization that is in Ontario that is interested - I will arrange for transport out of province. I can do this.

If someone can help out then I will do whatever it takes to get them to you.
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG, Benmax, I just pm'd you. As for who is contracted..The men that come were the City of Lachine logos...so I beleive they are killed. They tols my cousint hat they don't kill, but take them to the SPCA...The SPCA isn't aware of anything, so My feeling is they have destroyes the 8 cats that they captured, including the 2 very pregnant moms. I suggested catch and release, but the boss does not want any cats near his building. My cousin feels very guilty bacause she and her co-workers have been feeding them and hiding them in the warehouse ( only on cold winter days) over the last 6 years. Anyway, I am her last resort. So thank-you a million times over. Thank-you for trying. Even if you can't hlep I appreciate your help. Thank-you
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM

so sorry, I live in the US and I have 3 acres of land-- we only have one outdoor kitty (he sleeps in the hay in the barn-- i would take one or two, but I have no way of getting them)
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Senior Contributor

thank-you Tandkchoate, I appreciate your help....can anyone help with the transportation to the US. Too bad you live so far away....but thanks all the same.
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Cpietra16 I am so sorry you have to go through this. I will keep my ears open and let you know. I dont really know anyone other than the SPCA that may help you out?? But I am here in Hamilton...and there are so many here too! Your friends should know they will be reapid someday for their kindness! those kittys may never have had a chance without someone like that feeding them and giving them some warmth on those cold nights..they were truly blessed to have known someone like that!

My heart goes out to you!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:40 PM

catwgowayback

I'm no expert, but I think that there must be a few animal shelters or humane society that these cats can be taken to. Instead of releasing them when they are caught, could you not take them to a shelter. I have rescued 2,10 week old kittens, and 2 older cats in the last month, and kept one of them.

good luck
and to He__ with the employer
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Senior Contributor

catsgowayback, when I said catch and release, I meant spay /neuture, then relaese which is better than killing them. If everyone worked on this, instead of killing them off ( which does not end the problem of strays)there would be a less problem with ferals in the long run. We all need to neuture/spay our cats/dogs.But this is my 2 cents
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:52 PM

I too, live on a farm, we have 5 cats in the barn (heated) people just abandoned them, they are well taken care of and well fed...if you need help pm me. It could buy some time. I live on the south shore of montreal, near Boucherville/Ste-Julie.

Corinne
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:13 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

COCO350 - thanks for stepping up. Believe me, if I could I would be helping. I am at my limit as far as taking more and housing. I just have no more room at the moment.
Let's hope this works out.
What is the chance of getting a story in the paper about these cats? Get it out to the public. I know you would have to do it in a way that it does not implicate the owner of the factory but it may help. They do the human interest stories here occasionally. It usually garners some results.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

14+, the problem is that this is not an original story...there are lots of similar stories all over. I know many people who have built shelters in their own area just to house abandoned cats...its just all too familiar and very sad.

Thanks COCO350. I will pm you. I need all the help i can get right now.
Old January 27th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Cpetria16, I know of a lady who's fighting with Lachine for better dog laws in that area. Maybe she would know where the cats would be taken.Would you like me to ask for you?
Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
^.^

so sorry I am bout as far as I can possibly get from you so I am not much help. But my thoughts and prayers are with you all. Good luck! and I thinks someone mentioned this but why not get the media involved. they always love bleeding heart stories. So you should get some help from the public if they take the story.

on another note, which I know wouldn't be to helpful for those who are like neuter em now!!! but if it is life or death why not just drive them somewhere uber far and release. I mean as a last resort. But it would be better than their immediate death. They might even meet some nice people to help them through the winters there. But at least it gives them a better chance or a longer time than what they would get being caught or taken away. it may not solve the to many strays in the world problem. But it would solve their dead problem