Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 14th, 2008, 01:03 PM

Cat CRF

Hello all-
I'dike to say I am totally devastated by the news I've been told my beautiful long haired domestic female Paula, has CRF
She was placed in Florida vet. hospital about 2 weeks ago with creatine and bun readings of 11.5 and 75, was placed on IV fluids for 5 days and her values dropped to 3.5 on creatine and 45 on bun. But since, after daily injections of Sub Qs, her values have gone back up to creatine 8.8 and bun 78.
I now have her at the local vets office back on IV drip during the day, about 8hours and sub qs on the wekends.
I,ve also started her on something called azodyl, which is supposed to help with the control of these two values. She is still eating, but not much.
I'm currently in Florida, and returning to New York state about the 3rd week in April. I'm wondering if anyone knows how long cats can survive with this condition? I'm very concerned about the trip back to NY as I am pulling a large RV, and it usually takes me to the 4th day arriving home.
I cannot get myself to give my beauty the sub q fluids, as I know I wouldn't like those needles stuck in me either. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Regards, Geno 507
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:07 PM
-

Welcome to pets.ca and I am sorry to hear about Paula. :sad: One of the members here (Growler) has a kitty with the same problem and has an ongoing thread with lots of excellent information. I'll go and find it for you.
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:11 PM
-

Growler and Sugarcatmom are both very knowledgable about cat nutrition. I hope this thread will be of some help to you....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45017

I hope you decide to stay and let us know how Paula is doing. Also, once you are able to attch photos we would love to see some pics.
Old March 14th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Thank you Rainbow

I thank you Rainbow for trying to help me, I dread the coming days ahead, knowing the eventual out come. My heart is breaking....Geno
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:53 PM

Hi Geno I'm sorry to hear about Paula.

I think especially with your trip back to NY coming up it is in your & Paula's best interests to have the vet or tech show you how to administer fluids, you can also find info here http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/weir.../catjuice.html having it shown first hand is best though that way the vet can guide you & you have the opportunity to ask questions. Most cats will be less stressed @ home while you are giving fluids rather than the strange environment of the clinic.

Is there anyway to delay the trip until you feel more comfortable giving fluids? She will need them on the trip home OR ask your vet about rigging up an IV line in your vechicle for the trip. Is there someone else traveling with you to monitor Paula while you're driving?

Paula needs to eat as much as she can give her anything tasty that would tempt her, though try to limit the fish. If you can pick up some Grain Free Wellness Turkey Canned food or Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken, most cats like the taste, it is free of chemical, additives and unneccessary grain. Warm it up alittle with some added warm water to make it smell more appetising.

Please feel free to ask questions & keep us updated on how she's doing.

Sending for Paula

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 15th, 2008, 03:12 PM

My kitty has CRF

Thank you Growler for the great idea of rigging an IV in my vehicle, I never thought of that, I will ask the vet about this, what i'm wondering is how the flow would be controlled from the bag into her leg, as it is controlled now by a machine at I think 20 mils an hour. As far as eating, she seems to like dry food only, we mix her I AMS with K/D renal pellets, altho I must admit she 's not crazy about the K/D.
My main worry is 6 weeks from now, if she will still be with us, as her kidney values don't seem to want to come down. Yes My wife could monitor her while I drive back. Again, thank you. Geno
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:14 PM

CRF and Bun levels

My cat just had her tests run... There were two tests. One measured the CREA and BUN. The other test was a Hematology and I think it also measured Anemia.

Hematology test showed everything in a normal range. The vet said that if she was in extreme renal failure that these would be elevated also. I believe this is the test for Anemia. And if she was in extreme renal failure ; it would show up here.

The other test included the Bun and Creatine.
Her Bun is at 84 and Crea is 4.1
And yes they are high but they have been coming down.
I put my cat on Purina veterinary KF Kidney Function.
Supposedly it is the quality of food that can affect these levels.
The vet also provides me with metoclopramide. It is a liquid medication that I give twice a day to my cat. It prevents her from throwing up.

Even though the Bun and Crea are considered high, they are improving from last time just due to the food and because I am administering the medicine.
By preventing her from throwing up it improves the dehydration.

These two simple things are improving her levels.
She told me to come back in six months... or if the medicine is not preventing her from throwing up. That means that she is not getting worse and that the medicine is effective.

Don't let a vet put your friend to sleep. Find a doctor that will help you. My last vet put my other cat to sleep. They told me he was suffering and that I should put him to sleep. He was gaining weight, and would go on walks with me. They made me feel that I was torturing him. If the Doctor said to put the cat to sleep.... GET A SECOND OR THIRD OPINION!!!!!!
And get Vet approved food.
Old September 12th, 2008, 11:33 PM

natasha499 have you spoken to your vet about sub-q fluids yet? Those numbers are quite high and if your cat is having trouble with nausea it is a good idea to give them the extra boost of fluids.

The vet diets even the kidney formulas are really not the best food for cats. There is very little protein in the food and that is not good for an obligate carnivore, cats need high quality protein. When consistently fed a low protein diet this can lead to muscle wasting and weakness - 2 common issues in the CRF cat. The latest studies in CRF have shown high quality protein is better than low levels of protein for maintaining the health of the cat, high quality protein will naturally have lower levels of phosphorus.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...=show&item=003
http://www.southpaws.com/news/99-2-nutrition-CF.htm
http://www.felinecrf.org/nutritional...ts.htm#protein
http://www.catinfo.org/
http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Have a look at the ingredients in what you are feeding and compare that to the ingredients in Wellness Canned Turkey

Quote:
Purina Veterinary Canned NF: Water sufficient for processing, liver, beef, poultry by-products, trout, rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), ground yellow corn, animal digest, pea fiber, wheat flour, calcium carbonate, potassium citrate, fish oil, potassium chloride, magnesium citrate, taurine, choline chloride, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, menadione sodium bisulfite complex.
The highlighted red are ingredients I question - the corn, wheat, pea fibre and rice are unneccessary fillers and are the cause of many allergies in pets, "poultry" "animal fat" "animal digest" and "fish oil" do not give the animal source, there are several types of poultry and fish and what source are they using for "animal...."? For example many pets are allergic to chicken by are okay with Turkey in this food there is no distinction between these 2 types of poultry.

Quote:
Wellness Canned Turkey: Turkey, Chicken Liver, Chicken, Chicken Broth, Carrots, Natural Chicken Flavor, Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Zucchini, Cranberries, Blueberries, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Iron Proteinate (a source of Chelated Iron), Beta-Carotene, Zinc Proteinate (a source of Chelated Zinc), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Proteinate (a source of Chelated Cobalt), Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate (a source of Chelated Copper), Folic Acid, Manganese Proteinate (a source of Chelated Manganese), Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.

You will find a lot of information and links in my cat's kidney failure thread here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45017

I have been dealing with this disease for over a year now, my 17 year old cat is maintained very well on whole food supplements and a raw meat diet. She has no issues with nausea & is showing no symptoms except the usual extra drinking & peeing that goes with the territory.

If you have any questions please let me know I will be happy to help. for your cat

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying