Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old November 30th, 2004, 11:54 PM
lilpaws

Dog throwing up, not getting better

My friend adopted a puppy (5 months) from a rescue foundation and the dog has been throwing up everyday (they have had her for a month), even after treatment for roundworms (has seen the vet a few times). The foundation said the dog was healthy when they adopted her out, however I have doubts. The dog has had diarrhea off and on. The dog was rescued from a garbage area behind a convenience store. Could this be Parvo? Has anyone had similar experiences?

The sad part is my friend returned her to the Pet**** store where she got her. The vet told her it would be $1000 in tests to see what was wrong. I am going tomorrow to see if the store is going to re-adopt this sick dog out. I hope not or I will have alot and loudly to say.

I think it is really sad when organizations adopt a sick pet out. I haven't mentioned which one it is but I won't use them.

The dog was sick the second day they got her. It isn't nerves either, she didn't appear to be nervous.
Old December 1st, 2004, 12:02 AM

parvo

Hi ,I have had many sick dogs brought to me and with Parvo the dog usually wont live a month but Round words can do that much damange and then some , also the dog if it had PARVO my vet said and now i will never for get the smell its the worst ever so if you think thas it then have the pound called in to the area and check the dog for Quartine..And I hope thing get resolved good luck to you and your friend..and as far as I'm concern you should tell people what pet store..GOOD LUCK.
Old December 1st, 2004, 03:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I am a bit confused. You said your friend adopted the dog from a rescue group and then added she had brought the puppy back to a pet store. Sooo, given that so many pet store puppies come from puppy mills or back yard breeders, did she get it from a Recsue group that somehow got the puppy from a pet store or what is the story?

No reputable recsue group would ever adopt out an ill dog. And every rescue group I know of locally and online (and I have been researching them so am familiar with most of the good ones) (even the SPCA in some cases and if they think the dog can be saved) will take a sick dog to a vet or an ER clinic. In some instances, especially in small towns or rural areas, the SPCA is the only game in town. Still, they would not permit anyone to adopt an ill dog. They might put a very sick dog to sleep but the puppy would not be adopted.

That said, IF the puppy comes from a rescue organization, your friend must have the medical history of the animal. If not, something is wrong. And they would have noticed parvo!

On the other hand, if your friend purchased this dog from a pet store (a Very big mistake!!!), she will be faced with vet bills and may well have a sick dog- parvo or not.

I receently found this written in an excellnt book written by two vets about caring for your new cat. This excerpt is about purchasing a kitten from a pet store but it applies to puppies as well: (perhaps more so since the stores make more profit from the sale of dogs):

BUYING FROM A PET STORE

Don't. As cute as that one little kitten is, and they all are, you are encouraging the business of flesh peddling when you buy from a pet store. No good breeder would ever sell a kitten to a pet store to go to some stranger with a credit card. The only animal you can get from a pet store is an overpriced, poorly bred one that has been stressed, frightened, and undersocialized, who has been exposed to numerous diseases and who has an unknown genetic history. If you are a sucker for any kitten, just don't walk in! If you desperately want to save a life from a miserable caged existence, good for you! Go to a shelter and do just that. Don't perpetuate the cycle! Don't give them your business.

So, my best advice is to get that puppy to a vet ASAP!!!!! Parvo or not, you owe that poor little guy that much! Look after him and if your friend went the pet store route, please care for the dog and NEVER help those monsters who abuse animals again!!
Old December 1st, 2004, 06:00 PM
lilpaws

The puppy was adopted from Pets for Life Rescue Foundation here in Calgary from the Petland store. She wanted to rescue a dog as I had great success with my sweetheart and she also knows how I feel about BYB and the puppies "stocked" at these pet stores. Regardless of our views this rescue did adopt a sick dog to her. The family is very upset. The representative talked to her today and said that the dog threw up a chew toy and that must be the reason. I don't think so! Three weeks of throwing up and all of a sudden she is better, give me a break. I suggested to my friend that she ask the foundation to pay for the vet bills to make her better. I don't know what they are going to do.
Old December 1st, 2004, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

When a pup is sick for that long it is not a chew toy. Do they think you are stupid. I would dig deeper to find out what they are doing for the pup and your friend.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 1st, 2004, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

You mean they now want to adopt out this dog AGAIN? Gawd!
Old December 6th, 2004, 05:42 PM
lilpaws

Desparate

The people from the foundation gave my friend a really hard time about the dog. They said she was fine and that they will find a "Loving" home for her. I don't think this was fair to my friend. After they said that the dog was fine and it was because of the chew toy my friend had her vet phone and fax the tests... to the foundation. They also argued that the dog did not have a problem with one of her eyes as the vet had also diagnosed. I think with the rush of Christmas they are desparate to adopt this one out.
Old December 6th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

First of all I would post the name so we will never use their services and bad press is not what they want around christmas time. I would let them know that since you have the results from a vet and their comments you will be taking the story to the media on why we should not by from byb or puppymills or pet stores. Also remind them that it is your good deed for all those unsuspecting prospective pet owners. See what kind of reaction you get then. Don't forget to let them (press) know the puppy they could be adopting will be the sick one that your friend gave back
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:37 AM
lilpaws

carefully selecting one's battles

I mentioned where the puppy was from in my earlier post:
Quote:
The puppy was adopted from Pets for Life Rescue Foundation here in Calgary from the Petland store.
I won't be able to do much this battle (broken foot...can't get around well) however I did try to encourage my friend to pursue this further but she jammed out and has given up on the situation. As far as a story, show me a pet store right now that sells puppies that isn't stocked for Christmas. I don't know if this foundation is good or not, I have never used them, but I do know they are trying to rescue these dogs who are abandoned... I plan to call and see.
Old December 8th, 2004, 04:58 PM

Question

I only have one thing to say.

If every person who knew of animal abuse, especially with proof to back it up, fought for that one animal instead of turning their heads, there would be next to no unwanted or abused animals in the world.

1 person can make a difference even if just for 1 animal. Hell, there can only be 1 animal in the world for every 2 humans, so in actuality, only half of the worlds population needs to care, to change what we are doing to these poor fur babies.
2 Medium Haired All Black Cats:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
"PIT-BULLS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE JUST ONE"