Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 1st, 2004, 05:47 PM

Is my dog in pain?

Hi everyone, I'm new here and happy to have found you.

I've got 2 pets, 1 dog (holly-shihpoo) and max the cat. Holly is 6 yrs old and about 5lbs. Something has been wrong with her for the past few days.

She's been crying from time to time throughout the day, and not wanting to walk "anywhere" in or out of the home. To me she's acting as if she has a broken leg or something, but nothing hurts when I pick her up or touch her (to check things out). She doesn't cry when she's being touched - just other times, out of the blue.

I thought she was depressed, or jealous of max the cat, but max is never home anyway and is not a "touchy feely" cat.

She hasn't had a bowel movement in a couple of days, so can someone please help me to let me know if it's constipation or something else. I need to know whether I should get her to the vet's tomorrow. Thanx, victoria
Old December 1st, 2004, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi and welcome!

If your dog is in pain or uncomfortable and hasn't had a bowel movement in 2 days, I would rush her to the vet asap.

It's possible she ate something that is causing an obstruction. This would be an emergency.

It may not be that, but always better to be safe than sorry.

Let us know how she does!
Old December 1st, 2004, 07:40 PM

thanx so much

Hi, me again. Well I was thinking the same thing, but then when I was leaving the house to pick up kids awhile ago, I wanted to test the dog.

I said "c'mon holly, wanna go out!" she ran to the door!!! God, sometimes animals are sooo strange. LOL.
Then again, two days ago...I did the same thing (forgot to mention this), and she walked outside with me. I live in a townhouse complex, and there's a long driveway we have to walk up to get to the street. Holly followed me about half way up the long driveway then stopped, sat down leaning on this little wall on the side of the road and she wouldn't move.

I went all the way to the top and even turned the corner a bit to see if she'd finally get moving, but nothing. I was peeking the whole time, and she was just sitting there shaking, like little dogs do.
I came back down and walked right past her all the way to our house, and she still just sat there. I had to pick her up.

I should also tell you (and I feel like an idiot) that I cut her whiskers when I was giving her a haircut (probably right before all this happened). Now, I read on this website that doing this can make the dog act weird, and do things like turn excessively, which she's also doing. But the not moving thing has me stumped.

I'm a single mom on disability and can't afford the vet unless absolutely necessary, especially with 3 kids and xmas

I will call the vet in the morning, but they like their money, so he'll just say to come in anyway.

Anyway, thanx once again for your reply. Now I know what site to come to when I need help. victoria
Old December 1st, 2004, 07:54 PM
Senior Contributor

cutting her whiskers short wouldn't make her cry though, I think you should take this more seriously and take her to the vet--asap. I know it's a tough time of year and I can only imagine how hard it is for a SM, but think how hard it would be to explain to your 3 kids that the dog died, right before Christmas....
Old December 1st, 2004, 10:56 PM

thank you

Hi again. I am taking this seriously, that's why I'm asking for help. I just wanted to see what others thought before going to the vet, because in my home food for the kids has to come before the vet's.

If I had of known I'd have to live on disability, I wouldn't have gotten pets when I did.

If the dog hadn't of walked outside with me yesterday or ran to the door tonight to go out when I called her, I wouldn't have made my post's sound "cheerful", if that's what you meant.

Thanx, and I'll let you know what happens. victoria

By the way, are you a twin or do u have twins? I have 8 yr old twins and a 14 yr old, all girls.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 01:15 AM

Hello,
I know you say that the dog has not a bm in few days...just checking up on that. Any progress?
As you are saying that there are times the dog will walk fine, have you thought about the nails on the foot? They maybe too long and digging in as the dog walks. I know my sisters dog had this problem. If you have never cut the dogs nails before, just be very very careful!!! If you cut too far down (past the click) the dog could potentially bleed to death. If all the nails are clear, just look for what appears to be a darker white and cut just before that. It maybe just as simple as that.
Keep us posted!!!
Hope your dog is okay :love:
Old December 2nd, 2004, 07:46 AM

taking her to vet today

Hey thanx. I'm going to mention the nails to the vet. I'm just in from taking kids to school then off to the vet - will let you know, thanx, victoria
Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey There!

I can only imagine how an "ordinary day" for you must be. Twins! plus one! plus pets! plus you mentioned being on disability....ugh. I'd "take my hat off" to you, but there's no clean laundry!! he hee

Just checkin' back with you to see how the vet went...hope all's well :love:

I have twin girls(identical) 1 yr old. My husband is the twin. And "no" it doesn't skip a generation...that's a myth