Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old November 25th, 2004, 09:01 PM

sweet sweet Winnie has one week to live - or else...

Here is the story of Winnie:

Winnie was my sister's cat, a cute scrappy barn cat brought home to her by me when she needed some comfort (when she had to move far from her friends at the age of 15).
Fast forward several years. Winnie now lives at home with my parents as my sister could not take her when she moved out because her boyfriend is allergic. Meanwhile my father has developed a persistent allergy to her and cannot stand to have her in the house any longer... after a year of feeble searching and a failed attempt at a new home with a middle aged female smoker the diagnosis is this - one week to live! New Mommy doesn't want her because she hasn't come around yet and my mother wants to do the only thing she things is responsible at this point - euthanize her!

Winnie is a sweet healthy cat of 7 years. Medium size with a bit of a floppy tummy she's also a bit of a character! Black with a little white mark under her neck she is quite agreeable. She likes to know her place and doesn't mind a bit of bossing. She can be timid but has befriended my little Chihuahua quite amicably - she'll even let him clean her ears! All that this sweet little girl needs is a nice quiet home!

Please help if you can, in the right home she will fit right in quite nicely. Anyone interested can contact me or call 514.697.4304.

Please help save dear Winnie!
Attached Images

Old November 25th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Senior Contributor

We can help find Winnie a home, but not if you're going to threaten to kill her.

You must be patient, agree to wait and I'll list her on my site.

In the meantime, there are special wipes for pets that help with allergies, and I suggest you try that.
Old November 25th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG :sad: Poor little sweet Winnie,of all the people mentioned,noone is willing to save her from being killed,what a terrible shame,she is only 7 yrs old.
Could you really with a good concience allow her to be killed :sad:
Since she gets along great with your Chi and since she was such comfort to your sister when she needed it,now it's Winnies turn for some comfort,not a death sentence...she's innocent :sad:
Old November 25th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Senior Contributor

On your side, immaterial girl (grrreat name btw), if you haven't done so already, you could pester everybody you know, their friends and family (except for the gaspers and curmudgeons o'course). I myself am completely shameless, once I even called up a guy who had posted in the dep about a lost cat, suggesting that if he hadn't found his cat, would he be interested in mine, etc. (didn't fly). Also post in pet stores, I've had some luck there. She looks like a real sweetie, I've got my fingers crossed for you both.
Old November 25th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Senior Contributor

You won't find her a home by threatening to kill her. This poor girl has been there for your family and now it's your turn to help her!! What would she say if you asked her how she feels? Do you not think she feels what is going on?

I am not sure about pet stores but if some group is hosting an adotion there,. you could request to add her? Advertise in a newspaper and ask for money!! (She is a valuable being!!), call local vets and ask them. They sometimes know of someone who has lost a pet and is looking for a cat! And take up Lucky's offer of posting her on Petfinder!

Please help this kitty. Don't be so cruel to her!!
Old November 26th, 2004, 12:58 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by immaterialgirl
a failed attempt at a new home with a middle aged female smoker. New Mommy doesn't want her because she hasn't come around yet
I think this cat is no longer in her home.
Old November 26th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree Bugsy, the corner has been turned. If someone visiting this board is looking for a good cat, this is your time to shine! When we talk about rescue, this is what it involves, extricating animals out of impossible situations.
Old November 26th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh she is so adorable, if I didn't have 7 already I would take her. Do your best to find her a home and take Lucky rescue up on her offer to get her adopted.......could YOU not keep her while she is awaiting adoption?.....it takes any cat a while to adjust weeks sometimes months obviously the lady that has her now has no patience to wait for her to come around and is perhaps the wrong candidate for any cat if she does not understand this and is not willing to accomidate this poor girl.

Please do not have her euthanized, winnie deserves better and you know it by the help you have given her so far, I know it is hard but please stick with it and help winnie as best you can Your Mom may think she is doing the most responsible thing but no matter how she candy coats it she is basically trying to take the easy way out and but that is not responsible just the easyiest thing for her to do. No disrespect to Mom but she is very wrong here and the advice is not to be followed.

Winnie deserves to live she is but a pawn in this sad situation when after all that she has done for you and your sister.....she should be the Queen. Please do good by her and talk to Lucky rescue about finding her a forever home where she can make someone elses life brighter for the remainder of her days which by the way could be many many years that she has yet to live and play.

I hope you do the right thing and help her I know you are a good person by the sound of your post.......please let us know the progress you are making.

Wishing Winnie the little angel all the best for her future!! (please note my signature it applies well here!!)
Iggette
Old November 26th, 2004, 07:16 AM

Most Important information that was left out, where are you located. Unfortunatley I do not drive, or I would pick Winnie up right away. My girlfriend just lost her 18 yr old cat, and she is looking for another for her 12 yr old who does not like to be alone. If something could be arranged, we'd like to save winnie from being killed. Let us know where you are.
Old November 26th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

whinnie-boo.................she posted a phone number......give it a call asap that would be awesome if you could save winnie.....514 area code I think is quebec city but maybe if you are not near transportation could possibly be arranged somehow I would be willing to help in transport if possible let me know....

Where are you?
Old November 26th, 2004, 08:10 AM

Judging by the phone number she is in Kirkland, QC.
Old November 26th, 2004, 08:42 AM

People! People! People!

My parents (not me) have been looking to find Winnie a home for a year. Granted they may not have exhausted all avenues... but when my mom said that she planned to take her to the vet tonight!!! I said wait! Let me give it a try!!! I will try sending group emails, I will find places to post ads online and around the city (Montreal). I have never really even shared a special bond with this cat but I cannot see her put down like this - not yet at least! I have even posted my parent's number so that you can call right away if you like. Also - if you are not too far away my parent may even bring her to you! Cross-post this if you like. Please help save Winnie!
Old November 26th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Immaterial, you have to negotiate a bit more time with your parents, perhaps until Xmas? Can the cat be restricted to one room that your dad doesn't need to go into? That will cut down on the dander. This is doable, but it aint't gonna happen overnight.
Old November 26th, 2004, 09:00 AM

Immaterial Girl

At The Moment I'm At Work, How Far Are Your Parents Willing To Travel? Like I Mentioned Before, I Have 2 Wonderful Homes For Her, One With Myself, One With My Girlfriend, But I Live In The Toronto Area & I Do Not Drive. Is There No Way Winnie Can Come And Stay With You Or Anyone You Know If Your Parnets Are Planning On Taking Her Today To Be Put Down. If You Really Want To Save Her, First Get Her Away From Your Parents. I Think Its Pretty Sad That You Say They Have Been Looking For A Year With No Luck, And She Absolutley Has To Be Put Down Today.

Let Me Know If Something Can Be Arranged, Winnie Is Relying On You Right Now More Then Anyone.
Old November 26th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Immaterial,I am sorry if I came through a little harsh...we read all the time about animals HAVING to be put down,because they are too sick,owners absolutely heart-broken :sad:
Winnie is a beautiful healthy cat,she is a Living creature and about to get killed....you say you are not emotionally attached,but compassion for a doomed animal is what I am asking to see,you were the one getting the cat originally.
I am hoping you can find a little space in your heart for Winnie and give her some time,she has been pushed around with different owners and now is with someone who is planning on killing her,no wonder she does not adjust easily... :sad:
Winnie is no less valuable than your little Chi,she just wants to live and be loved,so please do not kill her.
Old November 26th, 2004, 10:25 AM

So immaterial are you going to take winnie up on the offer to adopt your kitty?? It's a six hour drive to Toronto right?

Should someone post this in the transportation board??
Old November 26th, 2004, 10:27 AM

From Whinnie-boo

I'M PATIENTLY AWAITING THE SAME ANSWER.

I'LL POST IT ON THE TRANSPORTATION BOARD AS WELL.

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION LIL' KIRK
Old November 26th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Unhappy regarding shipping Winnie to T.O.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I am very busy at work.

I do not think that it is possible for my parents to bring her as far as Toronto but I will keep my ear to the ground for any possibilities...
Winnie has until next week - but the sooner we can work something out the better!

I am very very thankful to all of you for your help!
Old November 26th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Immaterial girl may be busy or whatever why dont you call her parents place and talk to them directly.So we dont waste time waiting and possibly jeapordising winnies chances. Tell them how interested you are and hope they can keep her just a little longer its been a year surely a couple of days or a week could be tolerated while transport is arranged.

A word of caution....I wouldn't be harsh about the euthenizing position they have taken after all you need them to understand that you desperatly want this kitty and you need their help in doing so Bluntly put .....dont piss them off ....lol

Good luck let us know how it went
Old November 26th, 2004, 11:24 AM

How far are your parents willing to go Immaterial Girl??

Whinnie Boo do you have any friends who could drive East for a while to meet someone?

Just a thought...I'm of no real help other than my thoughts on this one
Old November 26th, 2004, 11:29 AM

unfortunatley no

I am not from this area, my friends are my kids (animals) which is partly the reason I do not drive, Id much rather walk with my dogs everywhere I go. The bus is not an option, can not carry animals on the bus (even in crates) due to allergies of other passengers.
I do want to save winnie, but my hands are tied. The fate of this beautiful girl rests on her present owners head. Speaking of which, rather then put her down, is there not a humane society in your area, offering a no-kill policy? As much as I want to find a way to pick here up, I'd rather seen her turned into the pound then put to sleep. Have all options been exhausted???????????????
Old November 26th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Could your parents get her to Lucky's or Chatocat's rescue group in Mtl? If your parents are in Kirkland, how far is that?
Old November 26th, 2004, 12:31 PM

A little more info wouldn't hurt either.Is Winnie spayed? Has she had any shots? UTD on shots?
Old November 26th, 2004, 01:54 PM

Red face

Winnie is spayed and up to date on her shots as far as I know. She is an indoor cat who will timidly venture out into the backyard. She is playful and quite clever. I do not know of these "Lucky's or Chatocat's rescue group" but I'd like to hear more... However, if we can find her a permanent home soon hopefully we won't need them...
Old November 26th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

http://luckyrescue.petfinder.com/
http://www.chatocat.com

There are other no kill rescue groups in Montreal (I think?) as well but Lucky or Chatocat could tell you more.
Old November 26th, 2004, 04:35 PM

Smile

Thank you Cyberkitten, those rescue groups seem great, but hopefully we'll only have to use them as a last resort...
Old November 26th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I do not think that it is possible for my parents to bring her as far as Toronto
Why is that, if I may ask?

As for putting this cat in a shelter in Montreal - as far as I know there is one no-kill shelter and that is the Monteregie, where this timid cat would suffer terribly.

The Montreal SPCA will kill this cat on arrival and toss her in the trash barrel.

And Lucky Rescue has no facilities and can only take on cats who are abandoned or in immediate danger of dying. If we took everyone's pets when they decide to dump them we would have no time or space for the stray and abandoned animals. We do help people rehome unwanted pets, IF that person agrees to keep the cat until a new home is found.
Old November 26th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Lucky for telling it as it is,Winnie has a home...for now anyway,but I think her days are numbered :sad:
Old November 26th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Surely if there is someone who wants Winnie in Toronto and someone with a vehicle going there from the Montreal area, can we not find a way to get these two together? What about the train? VIA Rail accepts cats. I STILL have that airline ticket (return)from Montreal to NB. (It was originally for a Siamese) Since it is a nonrefundable one but can be changed with extra money (and good for a year I think) , I could see about changing it to TO. This is the 21st century for heaven's sake!

Perhaps I should not have posted your web addy sans permission Lucky but I wondered if your group could help. Sorry!!!

I hope we can help Winnie!!
Old November 26th, 2004, 07:58 PM

Forgive me, but I need to understand why your sister doesn't step up to the plate and take the cat until a good home can be found. After all, this is her cat. Surely her bf's allergies aren't any worse than your dad's? Can't he just live with it for a while until a new home can be found?

Here's some info I found on Via Rail's pets policy. You'd have to buy a one-way ticket for one of the trains with checked baggage (there are only 2). Here's what the ticket would be:
http://reservia.viarail.ca/search/tripreview.aspx

Here's the info on pets:
http://askvia.ca/results_en.jsp

Good luck to poor Winnie. :sad: