Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old November 25th, 2004, 07:46 AM
<-----nut ball

rescue's calling?

In the last month or two I have been getting excessive phone calls on my cell from numbers that I don't know. I have call display, and the numbers don't have names when they come up. And these people aren't leaving messages.

I have a policy that I don't answer calls on my cell unless I know who it is, as I don't want to waste my minutes talking to some telemarketer.

Could these be rescue organizations calling about applications I submitted? If so, why aren't they leaving messages?

I confirmed one is a market research company, which is driving me nuts because they call every night! The others I tried reverse lookups to see who they are registered to, and most are people I don't know!
Old November 25th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

A lot of rescue workers will call from there homes so it is quite possible. Maybe you should change your message to say if you are calling from a rescue please leave a message and I will call back asap.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 25th, 2004, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingirl
I confirmed one is a market research company, which is driving me nuts because they call every night!
When you see them call, answer the phone. Ask them to not call you anymore and remove you from their calling list. By law they must do so or face charges of harrassment.
Old November 25th, 2004, 09:58 AM
<-----nut ball

I figured it must have to do with a rescue of some sort because it's the only places I have been giving my number too.

Actually, I feel kinda bad because someone from one of the rescues has been trying to make contact with me, but she only left a message once, and I didn't have a pen to write her number down. We went back and forth with e-mail for a while, but recently all the e-mails I have been trying to send are routed back to me. I'm afraid she is one of the people trying to call me! I asked her to e-mail me her number so I can add it in my phonebook so it shows up as her when she calls, so I won't miss it.

I don't want to answer the phone because I don't have any daytime minutes with my phone plan (I only have unlimited evenings and weekends, and pay a fortune if I use my phone outside those times), and all these calls are before 6 PM when my free time starts. Plus some are long distance, so I won't call them back.

I just found a website for one place and e-mailed them asking them not to call me ever, but the e-mail came back undeliverable.

Does canada have a law that telemarketers have to remove numbers from their list? I thought the US only had that.
Old November 25th, 2004, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Does canada have a law that telemarketers have to remove numbers from their list? I thought the US only had that.
Here is the website. site
Old November 25th, 2004, 12:41 PM
<-----nut ball

Thanks. I will bookmark that.
Old November 25th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Senior Contributor

The law depends on state or prov, there is no national statute in Cnada and the ones in various states are iffy at best too. (Lest we hurt biz ya know)
Old November 25th, 2004, 02:22 PM

Very true about the "do not contact" list. But, if you ask someone to not contact you again, and they do so, they could be charged with harrassment.

Every company I've told to "bug off" has done so without so much as a peep.
Now the law in other Provinces may be different than in Manitoba, but I don't think it could be THAT much different.
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Senior Contributor

to get rid of telemarketers i do this, when they call i instantly reply 'oh my sister does the job you do, yeah i always do her telemarketing stuff" they will drop you like a hot cake (in aus anyway) as they are not allowed to use or gather data generated from ppl in the industry or their familes (to avoid bias etc) i found it is a really effective solution.
Old November 29th, 2004, 07:48 AM
<-----nut ball

Guess what? I turns out one of them was a rescue! I only had her e-mail because we were e-mailing back and forth to arrange a time for her to call me.

I hadn't heard anything (except all these nameless calls to my cell) so I e-mailed her asking for her number. Turns out one of them was her and she has been calling me numerous times over the last few weeks.

I feel stupid now. I just sent a huge apologetic e-mail to her!