Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old November 24th, 2004, 02:29 PM

Please Help-Family with 8 children want a dog

Hi! A family I know with 8 children ages 9 months to 12 years want to get a outdoor dog for their farm from the herding family perferably a Border Collie. I know of a rescue close by that I could recommend but I don't want to recommend it if the rescue will automatically turn them down.
Old November 24th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Where are you located? They'd be hard pressed to find a rescue to place a dog as an outdoor pet, and also with children that young - most Border Collie rescues post the dogs as homes with no kids.
Old November 24th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

They'll have to get a dog from the paper, with owners who don't care where it goes, because no rescue or even shelter is going to give someone a dog to be put outside to run loose, chase livestock and get shot or get run over, after they have put the time and $$ into rescuing the dog in the first place.
Old November 24th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Lassie'smom do they plan on having the dog live outside or will it live inside with the family? Because I want to make sure that it will be a family dog, and not subjected to the elements, just because you may have not worded it well.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 24th, 2004, 05:16 PM

That is what I thought about the rescues.

Lucky Rescue my friends are not going to let it run loose or chase livestock. They have a big fenced in yard in the country. The reason they want a herding dog is so that the dog will be less likely to desire to eat their chickens and attack their goats.

LL1 They are located in North Carolina USA.

Mastifflover it will be a family dog for sure and they will give it lots of love. It will NOT be a barn dog left and forgoten about.
Old November 24th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Senior Contributor

But the dog will live outside?
Old November 24th, 2004, 05:51 PM

It seems like they have their hands pretty full. Do they really have time for a dog too?

A farm, animals, eight kids, their own well being...gosh, I can't imagine!!
Old November 24th, 2004, 06:39 PM

LL1 yes the dog will live outside. NC climate is not cold like Canada.
Old November 24th, 2004, 06:54 PM

No offence but that's really sad...unless someone is going to sleep outside with the dog...
Old November 24th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The reason they want a herding dog is so that the dog will be less likely to desire to eat their chickens and attack their goats.
I don't know if your friends know anything about border collies (or other herding breeds) but they are serious working dogs, highly intelligent and they must have a job to do. Do they have sheep they want herded?

A border collie left out with nothing to do may very well attack chickens or goats (or bark, or dig) out of frustration and boredom.

I'm just curious - why do they want a dog to sit out in the yard alone? What do they want the dog for? What role will it play in the family if it's not allowed in the house? And just why wouldn't it be allowed inside?

If they really want a dog to hang out with the chickens and goats and be fine with that, I suggest an Akbash dog, if they can find one.

These dogs are quite happy to live with and protect any livestock, but just be aware that they are very serious guard dogs.

Edited to say: you can find Akbash dogs for adoption HERE

A Great Pyranees would be suitable for this also.
Old November 25th, 2004, 10:20 AM

Lucky Rescue, they want a dog for a pet. It will not sit out in the yard alone. Most of the time people will be with the dog.

I think this is a much better situation than many I have seen. The hunters in our area let their dogs loose to chase to deer, turkeys, etc. to where ever they are shooting and don't even care if they get their dogs back. Every year we have at least 1 or 2 dogs come to our house starving with nothing to eat for weeks! This is what I call sad.

Our neighbor has about 20 dogs and cats that he just lets run loose, he does not spay or neuter them so they are constantly having puppies and kittens and he does not spend very much time with them. I call this sad also.
Old November 26th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Is it possible to get one of the puppies from your neighbour. You sound like a better home for one of them.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 26th, 2004, 04:07 PM

I agree--under these conditions you're likely going to have to advise these people to buy from the newspaper or get a puppy from one of these hunters/farmers--they won't be picky about where the dog is going and this family will give it a new home.
Old November 26th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I live in Canada but have spent an occasional WINTER night in NC and it is NOT warm at that time of the year there. My folks live in Fla in the winter months and there are nights it goes below freezing.

So I am wondering how they would even consider keeping a dog outside. Indoor pets have much longer lives than those who live outdoors - it is not just the weather but predators and other dangers. They must have a large farmhouse if they have a farm. Even other seasons have weather problems - rain, thunder and lightening, very hot days.

Unless they purchase a dog from a by breeder or a puppy mill (Sighhhhhh!!), no reputable rescue will permit them to adopt a dog in those circumstances. Perhaps they can revise their notion of keeping the pet indoors? Amd why do they want the dog outdoors? My dad grew up on a small farm and their dogs all slept in the house.

I unbderstand what you are saying about your neighbours but not everyone in rural NC keeps their pets outdoors (at least not the ones I saw - and again, I realize anecdotal evidence is not the best indicator). I wold not use that as a point of comparison.

If they really do want a dog that badly, surely they would be open to some education about how to care for their dog. (sort of like pre natal classes if you will ) This is not to suggest they lack knowledge - we all learn new things every day.
Old November 27th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Cyberkitten, our weather is not but a couple degrees colder here than when we lived in Florida. The average low is in Jan. is 32 and the average high in July is 89. We rarely get snow at all but I do agree that it is better to have an indoor dog. Unfortunatly the majority of our neighbors have very simular stories to the ones I just told you.

Mastifflover, I am very young and can not afford to properly take care of more than one dog at this time.

Thanks for all your help everyone.
Old November 27th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Every year we have at least 1 or 2 dogs come to our house starving with nothing to eat for weeks!
I wondering too - why doesn't your neighbour take one of them in, if they want a dog?

They would saving a life this way.
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:40 PM

I haven't been around to much lately and saw this topic. We just moved into a rural area and have been blessed with the company of one of those outside dogs. Tigger lives across the street from us, he was inherited by his owners with the farm 7 years ago. He's free to roam where ever he wants, day and night and all he really wants is to be with people "his people". He was our first visitor and he's definitely the longest stay. LOL I didn't have the heart to shut the door in his face when he wanted to come in! Regardless if they have a fence or not, weathers good or bad or what ever! Every dog wants to be with "their people". We expect dogs to be great companions, loyal to the family, great with 8 kids and be happy when the family shuts the door in his face because in the house is not a place for the dog! Please!!
I'm adding pictures of Tigger before and after WE took him to groomer. So as not to cause a war with our new neighbour I went there, told the guy I won a free grooming, asked if I could please take him, listened to his owner tell me how his breed can be brushed, not shaved, the dog doesn't do well in the car, blah blah. Anyway, I won the as.. kisser award and wear it with a smile! Donations of chapstick are greatly appreciated!LOL Tiggers here, I'm waiting for them to come knocking on my door wanting their dog but hopefully never will. Point is, don't look for a dog for these neighbours. It's not fair to have a dog part time and outside is part time!! Just because this family is a little better than another bad one doesn't make it ok.
Lassie I'm truely not coming down on you! Sorry, but this outside thing has me a little touchy! If you know the neighbour well enough educate them. It's the best thing you can do for them and the dog they will eventually get.
I took the woosy approach but at least he's here, in the house, has much attention and he's bald!
Attached Images