Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 24th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Question question re dog introduction to another dog

Hi, I have a question regarding introducing two dogs.

My fiancee and I got a dog, Ohren (pronounced O-ren) about 2 months ago. He's a 8 month old german sheperd/gold lab mix, and is quite rambunctious and is settling into the family pretty well. He know's I'm his master, but we think he sees Tara as his play mate, which she is fine with.

Our problem is this. Tara's ex has decided to get rid of thier dog Dakota (Tara knows him). He's a weiner dog/ dobey/ other mix, and is 6 years old. He's supposedly a very docile dog, and will lay at your feet and stay there while you watch tv (or crochet in Tara's case). We were asked if we would like to take Dakota in, and we are more than happy to do so. Dakota used to be in both of thier lives, but they divorced and he wanted the dog and got him. So Tara knows Dakota, and he should remember her (i would think), but he's been a part of her ex's life and his girlfriend for two years.

We just don't know how to go about this. I've been told by a coworker (with 2 dogs) to introduce them on neutral ground. Our house and backyard are most likely concidered Ohren's territory, so we were thinking a leased meeting on the front lawn would suffice, as he doesn't know the front lawn is his area.
If anyone would be ablle to give us other opinions, it would be greatly appreciated. we are most likely going to be getting Dakota as early as this saturday.

Thank you,
Chris (and Tara)
Old November 24th, 2004, 12:12 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

I'm not 100% sure if your 8 month old pup would be territorial of your property just yet, but you could introduce them at a park first (on leash of course).

My concern would be for the older dog--has it been socialized with other dogs before? Is either dog possessive over toys or food? There may be tension between the dogs at first, but it could fade. Introduce them slowly, after a few meetings you'll see how they are adjusting to each other.

Good Luck and I'm sure someone else on this board will have a more detailed answer for you!
Old November 25th, 2004, 03:26 PM

Thank you for the advice.
I'm gonna try to introduce them on the sidewalk in front of our house, then the front lawn, then the back lawn, and let them get aqauinted back there, supervised the whole time, of course. I'm not gnna take them to the lodal dog park. I think our city did a lousy job of choosing a dog park location, picking a park the is situated directly beside a sewage treament plant, and the smell is aweful! Our politicians here in London Ont really don't act like they have a clue on how to properly run a city.
The older dog, Dakota, is very socialized, from what I hear. He used to go to the malls and sit outside with his owners and meet people. We aren't goign to worry about possessiveness over toys, as we will get all his toys he currently has, and Ohren has a LOT of toys (we spoiled him to get him comfortable) - some are play toys, some are sleeping toys. I don't think we'll get the option to do multiple meetings, as her ex seems to want to get rid of him asap, so we told him we'd take him saturday morning.
Old November 26th, 2004, 01:38 AM
Chocolate

I personally dont see a big issue here.

Chocolate met Honey at her previous owner's house. He behaved as usual, beside the girl doggie frisking around in his face, lol.

And when Honey came over to our place, they were QUITE rambunctious. Yes, they settled in. No, there was no aggressive behaviour.

And esp if Dakota is docile, and u have an 8month old GSD, I still see no complications.

I think they'd grow together well.

Only rough edges may be when Ohren wants to play CONTINUOUSLY w Dakota, but he'll learn when Dakota'll be serious nuff w the "I SAAAAID, LEAVE ME ALONE" growl/bark. lol.

unless u feel there's going to be blood and hair on the floor, let the dogs figure out their higharchy and companion contact when they meet.