Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old November 24th, 2004, 08:17 AM

A great example of the media's bias ...

This article really made me mad:

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Ottawa...24/728024.html

Notice that the postmaster says that they've had problems with multiple dogs of DIFFERENT breeds running loose, not just this one pit bull. Yet the rest of the media only picks up this story when they can howl about the loose pit bull.

What a bunch of schills these idiots have become.
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:00 AM

This article doesn't seem biased to me -- granted plenty others have --- but this one is pretty clear about the fact that the pitbull is only one of the dogs that threatened the mail carrier, and probably not one of the main ones either. We also get to hear the pit bull owner's words about this not getting so much attention if it was a different breed. I think this article is okay -- unless I'm missing something?
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor

well its is because if there wasn't a pit bull in the mix then do you think this would be exciting news.

Nope.
You would not even hear about this. Also biased is the fact that when they decided to report this "incident" they only mentioned one breed and one breed only.
Its not overly biased. Its not detremental to our cause. But its just the kind of thing that makes people think those pit bulls up to it again.
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Yeah, I see what you mean -- but that's because of the BSL that is now on the table -- that's what makes it exciting news, right? I find the article rather neutral, but it would have been nice if they stuck up for the pitbull owner. At least they quoted what she had to say.
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes I like the way the dog has only been there for a month but it is the only breed mentioned. Do you think there is a little bias there?
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Ya true. Atleast she said something like that. I guess you can't call it biased but maybe uneccesary. I mean I read it and was like ok and...? If they were truly concerned for these carriers safety it would have been directed in general to all dogs, all neighbourhoods. Your right it was rather neutral in the fact that it didn't particularly bash pit bulls. Just why mention it. And we all know the answer to that. It just bugs me because I see all these bites on TV and I know there are more non pit bull bites out there but don't get to the news.

Last edited by Luvmypit; November 24th, 2004 at 09:18 AM. Reason: can't type
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
Yes I like the way the dog has only been there for a month but it is the only breed mentioned. Do you think there is a little bias there?
Whatever do you mean?! There is a bias, definitely!

You ARE right -- but the media isn't at fault here so much as the mail carrier who called off service due to the pitbull. The article is at least giving the facts (like how long the pitbull has been in the neighbourhood). But you're right -- if the article had mentioned what some of the other breeds were it would have been more fair. Good point. Perhaps that's what Faceless meant too.
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:21 AM

I'm not saying this article is biased; in fact it's the only one I've seen that isn't. Many newspapers and stations (including the "beloved" Citypulse) carried this story, and made it seem like the problem was due only to this pit bull (as mentioned in an earlier thread.) No mention of the fact that it was because of multiple dogs.
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Last edited by Luvmypit : Today at 12:18 AM. Reason: can't type
That's too cute!

Yeah, okay -- I see what you guys mean. But the media is always over reporting on the hot topics, sadly! Pitbulls are definitely a hot topic these days.
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I actually got the impression from the spokesperson that the problem wasn't the pitbull, but dogs in general. I agree, why mention the pitbull? (Yes, I know the obvious answer). It is only creating more hysteria. I don't think the post office person really mentioned the pitbull. If anything I got the impression he was saying it's dogs in general that are the problem. I think the owner's reaction was to the media, not the post office. I know this is the first I heard that it wasn't solely because of a pitbull.

I just finished writing these to letters to Mix 99.9, who reported it was because of a pitbull. Short and sweet, because I'm at work, and I only wrote it because I was ticked off (normally I wait to send it from home)

This is to the news reporter:

Hi Judy,

I usually listen to you guys every morning on the way to work, like probably 95% of you listeners. I can honestly say that of the many morning shows I've listened to over the years, and in many parts of the province, you are one of the few female personalities I've honestly enjoyed.

I have an issue, however, with your report of the other day. I realize you are probably not responsible for writing the reports, but I wanted to bring it up to you just the same. You mentioned about the Ottawa area, and the area where postal service has been suspended due to a loose pit bull. That is, in fact, false. The pit bull is not the reason, several loose dogs is the reason. Here's an article here:

The pit bull in question was actually loose one time, as you can see by the above article. By misleading the public, you are helping to fan the flames of the hysteria surrounding the dog right now. As well, I have yet to hear any reports from your morning news about dog attacks, unless it is a pit bull. Yet, in the last 6 weeks, there have been six, including 3 hospitalizations, including one child. None of them pit bulls. One of them was a postal worker in Orillia, where the head of the union himself stated they have not had an issue with pit bulls, its been other breeds.

I understand the publics reaction to the dog. I felt similar (though not quite as overboard as a lot). Then we happened to get a dog from the humane society that we found out after we fell in love was part pit. Out of 5 dogs I have lived with over my life time, she is the most gentle, and most loving. Before we made the decision to keep her, we read book after book, and visited numerous websites, including the American and Canadian Kennel associations. The natural tendency for the breed is to be loving and loyal, and excellent with children. Believe it or not, this is why a lot of owners have this dog, not the small sub-set of meat-heads who need an ego boost. This dog lives to please. The myth that as a group, the majority of us are people with fragile owners are looking for an ego boost is just that--a myth. We live in a nice area, my wife is a bank manager for a large branch of a major bank, and I will hopefully be soon on the police force. We have met many, many owners who are more like us, than the public's vision. And they all say the same thing. After having one, they can't imagine any other breed, because of their disposition and loyalty.

I don't expect you to take my word on all of this, but I would ask that you talk to your friends at the Toronto Humane Society who are against the ban, and have stated the same thing that I have. As well, if you get a chance, take a look on the web at some of the knowledgeable web-sites. At the very least, give us a chance before you condemn us on the radio. It isn't fair to us, or your other listeners.

Thanks,

This is to the station:

I wanted to ask you why your reporting is so bias when it comes to pit bulls? The only time a dog attacked has been mentioned is when a pitbull involved. Yet, in the last 6 weeks, there have been at least 6 attacks by other breeds, three resulting in hospitalization, one of which was a child. People look to the news for unbiased reports, yet you choose instead to help fan the flames of widespread panic. The other day, there was a report that in Ottawa, the post office chose to stop delivering to a certain area because of a pitbull on the loose. Here's what actually happened:

It was because of several dogs, one of which happened to be a pit-bull, and who happened to be loose one time. The postal union has stated on several occasions that they do not feel any one breed is an issue, but rather all breeds. Ask the head of the Orillia postal union where one of there members is currently recovering from a dog attack.

You aren't a news station, so why are you looking for the headlines? It's only making you look silly when the facts do come out.
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Well said. Its important to keep the heat on.
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

My take on this article.

Quote:
Westboro's Lanark Ave. pit bull-vs.-postman situation is ...
Well, here is your opening line, suggesting that there is a problem with pit bulls in the area and blaming them for mail delivery problems.

Any journalism class will tell you that when writing this type of journalism, you need to get your facts into the first paragraph. That way the reader knows what the article is about without reading the whole thing.

Quote:
On Friday, Tongue sent 30 letters to area households indicating postal services would be stopped because of a couple of problem dogs -- one of which is a pit bull.
The truth of the matter is in paragraph 3. Well, in this day and age, most people are too busy to read to paragraph 3, especially if they got all of the necessary information in paragraph 1.

Now, please stop and ask yourself this...if Tongue had sent out 30 letters and NONE of them went out to a pit bull owner, would this have been in the news? Not likely. Just like you don't read about labradors mauling the family toddler.