Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old November 19th, 2004, 08:56 PM

Stumbled across this web-site

I was looking at the signatures on the THS petition, and somebody put this url in the comment section:
http://www.killbill132.com/
The picture on the homepage says all there is to say about Bryant.
Figured I'd pass it along.
Old November 19th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Very interesting website, I'll be sure to pass it around and bookmark it.
Old November 21st, 2004, 09:51 PM
banned user

Question City Pulse is Kvetching about it.."it's nasty"

Well, it's Not Like Mr. B. didn't ask for nasty. Sugar for sugar & venom for venom...or act like a dictator, & you have it inferred that you just might be one?
Old November 21st, 2004, 10:12 PM
banned user

Post Here is the web site for City Pulse & 'nastyiness'

comment. I emailed them saying that when people get assaulted, have their dogs injured, get spit on, threatened, harrassed & harranged, well................
They tend to get just a little teensy weensy bit UPSET about it.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:25 PM

Looks like they changed the picture....

This really is for the best. The last thing we need is a large group of people getting offended, and possibly turning pro-ban. I recall a talk show where someone compared BSL to racial profiling - The host implied that this person was a racist.

In hindsight, I can understand how people could take it the wrong way.
Some see a comparison between Bryant and a dictator (I've made that comparison myself), others may see a comparison between the suffering of a race with the suffering of a dog.

Like moontamara mentioned on another thread, some people can get turned off by negative comments. We don't need any more enemies. People won't be compassionate to us, if we aren't to others.( I'm all-for laying into someone that deserves it, but we do have to be careful not to offend innocent people)

I thought City's coverage was ok, actually, I'm glad that they mentioned that the anti-ban groups are not responsible for this. I'm positive that there are people at City that know what Bryant is up to, and are watching him closely.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 08:08 PM
Love all creatures

It said in the paper that jewish people were really offended..I'd like to know why..do they like hitler or something? Or are they good buddies with Bryant? How the heck do we feel when we're assaulted and abused by the public because of the type of dog that we have...I don't see anyone sticking up for us and making a big deal about that? You know what? I hate to say it, but some people just OVERDO the whole "you're a racist" or "feel sorry for me because of what happened" thing...oh and just to bring it up because it bothers me EVERY SINGLE TIME I HEAR ABOUT IT..but.. JEWISH PEOPLE WERE NOT THE ONLY ONES THAT SUFFERED IN GERMANY...WAKE UP...MORE POLISH PEOPLE DIED THAN JEWISH PEOPLE BUT YOU DON'T SEE ME GETTING OFFENDED AT THE PICTURE DO YOU?..and I lost both my great grandparents to Hitler gawd damnit...that just ticks me off like you guys wouldn't know...I can't even describe how I feel about that issue to begin with..its not fair and it hurts like crazy when I hear that and NO OTHER PART of the story.

and what about us pit bull owners? WE don't matter, or our pets don't matter just because they're dogs? WHAT THE HELL? Excuse me guys while I go punch the crap out of a pillow or something

Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:48 PM

Apparently political correctness states that by comparing anyone to Hitler, you are minimizing the impact of the Holocaust. We are supposed to keep Hitler on a(n evil) pedestal, to emphasize that no one has ever done something as wicked as trying to exterminate an entire race.

It's b.s. though, because Stalin was twice as bad, and murdered many more people; he just doesn't get the press.

Someone also didn't tell all those protesters against the Mike Harris government either; Good ol' Mike got compared to a Nazi more times than I can remember, but funny enough, the Liberals didn't complain.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:40 PM

don't get me started on race. there really is only one: homo sapiens sapiens.
all other differences are ethnical and cultural. prejudice, unfortunatley, in our society is rampant though.

that said, although i do not agree with Michael Bryant's stance on the pit bull issue, i would not compare him to hitler. not because it might offend people, but because it is simply absurd.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:43 PM
Love all creatures

It really hurts...and I really don't want to sound terrible when I say this..but it is truely how I feel..I believe that TOO much emphasis is placed on jewish people when it comes to the halocaust..I'm sorry but that is how I feel and it hurts me that sooo rarely, other races are mentioned..and when they are..its like..oh no big deal..it really hurts..and one of the main reasons I think this is happening is because many of the people that published historical books or facts about the halocaust were jewish..and it becomes a one sided thing...alot of them really are educated...and professors...writters...lawyers...they even have their own private schools.

please, I hope nobody feels offended because that's not what I'm trying to do..but it just hurts me on a personal level and I don't think its fair at all..with that being said, EVERYONE that was involved in the halocaust suffered equally..and it was a complete hell.. but I don't believe that it was the absolute worst thing in history and nothing else can be compared to it...that is where I have to agree with faceless.

Anywho, I hope we're not getting off topic..and I probably shouldn't say more because this can become a touchy issue.

Back to bryant..that moron lol
Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest
It really hurts...and I really don't want to sound terrible when I say this..but it is truely how I feel..I believe that TOO much emphasis is placed on jewish people when it comes to the halocaust..I'm sorry but that is how I feel and it hurts me that sooo rarely, other races are mentioned..and when they are..its like..oh no big deal..it really hurts..and one of the main reasons I think this is happening is because many of the people that published historical books or facts about the halocaust were jewish..and it becomes a one sided thing...alot of them really are educated...and professors...writters...lawyers...they even have their own private schools.

please, I hope nobody feels offended because that's not what I'm trying to do..but it just hurts me on a personal level and I don't think its fair at all..with that being said, EVERYONE that was involved in the halocaust suffered equally..and it was a complete hell.. but I don't believe that it was the absolute worst thing in history and nothing else can be compared to it...that is where I have to agree with faceless.

Anywho, I hope we're not getting off topic..and I probably shouldn't say more because this can become a touchy issue.

Back to bryant..that moron lol

unfortunately, war, hate, and mass murder has be a part of the human phenomenon from early on. perhaps 'civilisation' was a catalyst for it. it's are human problem, not a cultural one, although many would like to blame specific cultures or ethnicities. try not to get worked up over the ehtnicity of the persecuted, when we should all be appalled that humans are killed for ideology and personal gain.

just like the problem with dog bites isn't realy a dog problem. it's a human problem. it's just easier to blame the dogs.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Part of the issue is many people would be offended to have thier lives equated to the value of a dog, they feel it lowers thier worth. And probably most people who don't have dogs feel that way. We need to keep this in mind when talking to people and getting the message out there. It's kind of like a lot of people who use the angle of "don't think it'll just affect pitbulls". You have to appeal to people on a level that they will understand, and by offending thier moral values only alienates ourselves.

To use and example, when I first started working for the bank, I wore an earring. Outside of work, I usually had a ball cap and a large earring. Sometimes I wore an undestated gold hoop. Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing a gold hoop, and I know most people agree. But when I walked into work, and stepped behind the desk, the earring came out. Why? Because I knew it would offend some people, and they wouldn't listen to what I had to say. Is that right? No, but when you need to accomplish a goal, you need to be able to relate to those you are trying to get the message across to. Was I compromising myself? Not at all. Outside the bank, I wore an earring. But by then, people who would recognize me have already met me, and know my message. If you have a point to make to a wide audience with varrying degrees of values, you have to meet on neutral ground, initially.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor

well said Schwinn!!!

Its makes sense to empathize and try to relate and say hey we all love dogs here. I think what bugs me more is dog owners who are for this. I know they may fear for there dogs but how can you love a certain dog and not love the rest. it doesn't make sense to me. Before I owned my pit I was wary of pit bulls and a little hesitant but regardless I would have never supported any form of BSL.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:52 AM
Love all creatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
Part of the issue is many people would be offended to have thier lives equated to the value of a dog, they feel it lowers thier worth. And probably most people who don't have dogs feel that way. We need to keep this in mind when talking to people and getting the message out there. It's kind of like a lot of people who use the angle of "don't think it'll just affect pitbulls". You have to appeal to people on a level that they will understand, and by offending thier moral values only alienates ourselves.

To use and example, when I first started working for the bank, I wore an earring. Outside of work, I usually had a ball cap and a large earring. Sometimes I wore an undestated gold hoop. Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing a gold hoop, and I know most people agree. But when I walked into work, and stepped behind the desk, the earring came out. Why? Because I knew it would offend some people, and they wouldn't listen to what I had to say. Is that right? No, but when you need to accomplish a goal, you need to be able to relate to those you are trying to get the message across to. Was I compromising myself? Not at all. Outside the bank, I wore an earring. But by then, people who would recognize me have already met me, and know my message. If you have a point to make to a wide audience with varrying degrees of values, you have to meet on neutral ground, initially.
Its just sad that we're the ones that have to be forced to relate to everyone else...I mean we're the ones that are getting the crappy end of the bargain here..I think maybe its time for the politicians to relate to everyone and understand how us dog owners feel. But you are right in what you said and I totally understand. It just really easy to become frustrated when there's just so much bad things going on everywhere you look. Its almost hard to find the positives.