Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old November 18th, 2004, 03:37 PM

interesting article

http://www.mississauga.com/mi/inside...-2687034c.html

note the city of mississauga's stance on BSL at the bottom.
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

HA, see how that lady reacted. Well if she wasn't going to get bit she would have at that point. Screaming and yelling and flailing your arms. Shoot I'd attack you. I am glad the cop pointed out the dog was not in any way aggressive that obviously this women completely over reacted but I guess you can't blame people. If I saw an unleashed pit bull I would be wary too. BUT I would not in any circumstances be making any false nutty moves. And if this dog bit do you think they would have mentioned that the dog wasn't aggressive till the lady started reacting in such a manor.

Im glad we are getting the support of more municipalities!
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Get a freakin' grip!

This article brought to you by the department of over-reacting putzs...

If I can write calmly enough, I think I'll write a letter to the editor, as soon as I can do it without referencing "moron"....
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:50 PM

the lady overreacted, but would she have done so without all the current hype? i don't think so. the cop was cool about the situation, though. she even went out of her way to note that the dog showed no aggression. the dog was happily chewing on the stick the kids threw to it, and caught up into the police crusier easily.

also, i like that mississauga is taking a postive approach to the situation.
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigaro
the lady overreacted, but would she have done so without all the current hype? i don't think so. the cop was cool about the situation, though. she even went out of her way to note that the dog showed no aggression. the dog was happily chewing on the stick the kids threw to it, and caught up into the police crusier easily.

also, i like that mississauga is taking a postive approach to the situation.
You're right that the media has probably hyped people up even more, but you know what? We saw this with Daisy about 3 years ago. Yes, the media has something to do with it, but "running for her life"? Give me a break.

And I too was glad to read the cop was saying the dog was fine.
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Three cheers for Mississauga for not supporting the ban. Well of course you know every pit bull attacks Duh where do they find these losers.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Proud Pit Bull Owner

It's good to hear the cop had common sense.I feel sorry for the lady's toy breed as she left it for 'dead 'and would not pick it up to protect it when she thought the pit bull was so called 'vicious'
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:11 PM
banned user

Angry So, if she didn't pick up her Bichon, it's still out there?

Yup, watta Putz! I wouldn't abandon my dogs if an elephant was chasing us.
(But the dogs are much faster. I wonder if they'd abandon Me? LOL!)
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
Three cheers for Mississauga for not supporting the ban. Well of course you know every pit bull attacks Duh where do they find these losers.
I think the reason that they didn't get caught up in Bryant's foolishness is because Missisauga looked into BSL in 2003. Unlike Bryant, they actually looked at all the facts. The reccommendations they made echo those of animal experts....
http://www.ward9.ca/Breed%20Specific...es%20Bylaw.pdf

Yet another study that Bryant didn't bother to look at.
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

ROTFLMFAO!! OMG!! I'm sorry, but I laaauugghed!! What a complete moron! All I could think of was that Tim Horton's commerical where the leaf falls and the lady screams like a complete idiot and runs away!
The very sad reality is Michael Bryant created this! He's a complete monster. I had a similar incident in the hall the other day. Briggs was invited to jump up and give a lady kisses (she knew this lady). Well - this other lady that was standing there gasped and grabbed for her throat... as if she thought that Briggs was going to attack!! Briggs was kissing and jumping and wiggle butt as usual!
The mass hysteria is completely uncalled for! Bryant is runnin gour country similar to the US - on fear, everyone MUST fear! Fear is the awnser to everything!

Hazel McCullum(sp), the mayor of Mississauga is a VERY intellegent lady! She's been mayor forever and LOVES that city. IF she thought that there was any substance to this ban she would fight for it.... she's obviously done HER homework!
Old November 18th, 2004, 08:27 PM

I don't think it's fair to call this woman a moron. She's seen all the hype, and she may have had a fear of dogs anyway -- lots of people do, even dog owners (even Melanie, a regular on this board).

The thing is, people shouldn't have to put up with dogs. I have a toy poodle who wouldn't scare a soul in Canada, but in Korea I have to protect fearful people from his friendly greetings (if you haven't had a lot of exposure to dogs, Caseys wagging tail and excessive excitement can look like aggression, I guess ). Even though I KNOW Casey won't hurt them, I don't think anyone should have to feel fear when they're just walking through the park or on the way home after a long day at work. When someone calls him and then he reacts by running to him (on his extended leash) and the caller gets scared, I can't help but be annoyed -- but I won't call that person a moron... Their reaction is based on an emotion -- fear -- and emotions often lack logic.

I feel that if more pitbull owners were sensitive to people's fears, your position would be more respected. However, I realize that in real life most of you (Sammiec, Schwinn, and possibly all of you) are sensitive to people's fears -- even though YOU know your pooches are not dangerous.
Old November 18th, 2004, 09:30 PM

I agree with Moon. I've seen a lot of comments on this board about people reacting to large dogs in a negative or panic-stricken fashion, where these people are referred to as "morons" or "freaks". This saddens me. We are all so willing to pity the poor, misunderstood dogs who are only behaving the way we (as humans) bred/raised them to behave. And rightly so! But, could we not extend a little of that understanding towards our fellow human beings? Who knows? Maybe this woman was attacked by a large dog when she was a child. As for leaving her dog for "dead" - well, we can all be "morons" when we're panicking. I know - I was just there this afternoon. But that's a story for another thread. I know a lot of people with an unreasonable fear of dogs. I pity these people, because I know first-hand what they're missing out on. Hey, I have an insane fear of bees and spiders. Yes, I go into a mild panic when one gets too close (not as bad as when I was a kid, but enough to set my husband to chuckling). Guess that makes me a moron, too.
Old November 18th, 2004, 09:40 PM

These people have to know that freaking out like a "moron" could actually make things worse.
Old November 18th, 2004, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless
These people have to know that freaking out like a "moron" could actually make things worse.
Yeah. Again, you're not helping your cause by thinking like that. In fact, threads like this are turning me off of your cause. You may not realize how much one person's opinion (like mine) can matter, as I've debated this topic many times with family and friends, and usually win them over to the anti-BSL side.

The thing is, people, like dogs, aren't perfect.

When there's something attached to Casey's leg and it feels like something is following him, he runs and runs. This makes things worse. If he just calmed down and waited, I would immediately remove the branch, or whatever. But fear makes him run around and around. Is my dog a moron???

Empathy is what will win your cause. You have to empathise with the other side to get them to empathise with you.

What W4F says is true too -- you can't judge her for leaving her dog on the ground (no one said if she called her dog into the store or not, I assume she did) because of fear. I am related to a woman who went into therapy for her fear of pine beetles because she was afraid she would hurt her child in a frenzy if one landed on her. Her child that she gave birth too!
Old November 19th, 2004, 07:16 AM

My point is, there's such a thing as contributory behaviour. Don't think a person doesn't have a certain responsibility if they act in such a way to make a situation worse. In fact, in most law relating to Dog bites in Canada if a person acts in such a way that contributes to the Dog attacking, damages will be reduced accordingly (at least, that was the way it went down before Bryant's law.)

Ignorance is not an excuse.

Oh, and if you think that making a "threat" that my opinion will sway you against BSL, well I really don't care. You can just add your name to the other uninformed masses, except that you know better and are just being petty.
Old November 19th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Senior Contributor

being a pit bull owner I think its hard to understand how it feels to walk your dog and people look at you with disgust. Almost look at you like your filth.
I agree that maybe we shouldn't call them morons. But its getting a little over the top now. We have this happen constantly to us. I have had people literally take off running when they see me. Im sorry but I don't just stand there and go oh silly lady. I do think they are idiots. And thats my opinion and Im entitled to it. Yes people have a strong fear of dogs and I respect that but sometimes there is just overboard. I am not particualarly scared of anything and even if I was terrified of dogs I wouldn't act like a fool. Lots of people calmly cross the street if they see a dog. Thats fine. But when you start screaming at us and yelling at us Im sorry you are a moron. Maybe not so much this lady but I can see the moron potential. Bottom line is now there is mass hysteria, its not the typical hate dogs thing its an absolute fear.
And when you react in a fashion that is only going to make matters worse it definately isn't smart. So what is it?
If they look at me like Im a filthy, rotten criminal I think I have the right to think that their a moron.
Old November 19th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Proud Pit Bull Owner

I agree with Luvmypit.What the hell does someone's pit bull that they raised to be vicious have to do with my angelic pit bull that I raised to be loving and loyal.Who do people think they are , judging me and my sweet dollies?
Old November 19th, 2004, 10:53 AM

What is going on is doggy bigotry, plain and simple. I will not excuse people for that. If this was going on in the human realm, the outcry would be near universal. But because it's a "lower" form of life, it's ok.
Old November 19th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Its incerdible that people think they can yell and curse at you because of the breed of dog you have if that not discrimination Im not sure what is.

I wonder how these people justify this. My boyfriends 8 year old hears it at school and the kids will say I heard they eat people and I have trained her just to ignore it or tell them not believe everything they hear.

P.S. I posted a nice Pic of capone with santa from last year in the picture forums.
Old November 19th, 2004, 11:33 AM

It's not okay. No one has said it's okay for people to react this way towards your well-behaved pets. BUT, regarding this particular story, a) the dog in question was not leashed or under anyone's control and was therefore an unknown agent, and b) this woman reacted the way she did for her own reasons and I don't think it's right for us to call her a moron. There are a lot of people who do not know that there are boards like this where they can come to be enlightened about breeds they don't understand. "Ignorance is not an excuse". No, but it might be an explanation. I know lots of people who react negatively and dramatically towards mice, snakes, etc... Are they morons or freaks? I happen to think mice and snakes are cute. Am I right? Should I call my mother a moron because she cringes every time she walks into my sister's house and sees the beardie living there? My point (and sorry for taking so long to get there) is that if we want people to be open minded about our pets, we have to be equally open minded about their fears.
Old November 19th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

You know what I am quite willing to take the time to educate someone. But just because they do not know my dog it does not give them the right to hurl insults and make derogatory remarks to me. When someone walks by me and spits at me I think they are jerks and before I would have maybe let it pass (I doubt it)but now I will get in their ignorant faces and I have also decided that if anyone makes threatening gestures or start yelling at me I will just call the cops everytime. I will not put up with this ignorance anymore. I am sorry but most of these people are morons and if you are scared of my dog oh well to bad for you. Then why do they cross the street just to harass you. I don't own a pit or staff but I feel so sorry for the people who do you have my sympathies because I am sure you deal with a lot more morons and idiots than I do.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 19th, 2004, 11:39 AM

everyone has their proclivities. personally, i don't take offense when someone is fearful or unsure of my dog. i've converted some people in my life to the view that 'pit bulls' are not bad dogs, and it's the owner's who are bad. not everyone will like these dogs, though. my wife doesn't like german sheperds. she doesn't completely fear them, but she feels uncomfortable around them, especially if the are off leash.

cheers
Old November 19th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

If you read my first post you will find I would have been scared too BUT she shouldn't have over reacted. That was a moron move. A stupid move. That was the last thing she should have done. Started screaming and making herself a wanted target. Seriously though I don't understand why people are so upset we called her a moron. Actually I didn't but I understand why some did.
No one is saying they don't understand peoples fears or empathize with them, as I said I would have been wary also. I am not calling every person that doesn't like or is scared of dogs a moron. But the manor in which SHE reacted was not smart. Maybe we can think of a nicer word for not smart.
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:11 PM

OK, look. If someone is insulting you, spitting at you, harassing you - yes, you have every right to defend yourself and your dog. By all means, call these people whatever you want. Call the police. It's your personal experience and you're entitled to react however you will.

Maybe this particular thread hit home a little, since I was involved in an "incident" with an off-leash rotti just before reading it last night. So yes, when you called this woman a moron for panicking, I took it as a bit of a personal insult because I went into a mild panic yesterday too (no, I didn't run around screaming, but I did start yelling after the dog was under control). When a person panics, reason is shot out the window. Knowledge means nothing. A true panic is uncontrollable. If you are scared, but still have your wits about you, then maybe you're a better person than I am, and I'm happy for you. But I took the tone of this thread as a "laughing and pointing" kinda feel. I'd like to think we'd show a little more compassion to a person's uncontrollable terror.
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Writing4fun, Moontamara and Faceless:Point taken. And I will say that, for my part, I reacted out of anger (don't post angry!). But, as others said, it is her statements I condemn. I don't have a problem with people who tell me about the "kill instinct", and the "swelling brain" issue, or how they just "snap". Before we got Daisy, I believed some of them. But it brings me to the woman with the little dog who, several years ago, got in Daisy's face when it was off leash. Daisy, being a dog, went into defense mode and started snarling back. Then the idiot owner started yelling at my wife, telling her "she had a lot of nerve bringing a dog like that to the park". I don't blame people for being scared or nervous. I understand it. What I don't respect is the way she reacted, and the statements she made. Especially after she saw her get "saved" by a couple of little kids with sticks. The other issue is the statements she made AFTER she saw everything was fine. I understand uncontrolled terror (I have a sister who lost her upper lip in a dog attack. Several times I've taken her riding, and seen what happens. I usually make her ride beside me around an unleashed dog, so if it does attack, it has to get through me and my bike to get to her. Trust me, I understand.)

But you are right, I may have been hasty to judge. It's just that I'm beyond the end of my rope. I lost it a while ago.
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:40 PM

Red face Sorry for reacting this way...

Thanks, Schwinn. Funny, how we seemed to be on the opposite end of a similar situation. For me, it was an off-leash, intact male rotti standing on my dog's neck, snarling (bared teeth) at her, I'm yelling at the owner to hurry up and get her dog, while the owner was telling me to relax (in not so nice words) and the rest of her family shouted obscenities at me from across the road because I was yelling at their wife/mother. All this while I had the baby in his stroller right next to me, another mom (who is terrified of large dogs) with two young children (under 3yrs) standing there as well, while we were waiting for the school bus to arrive in minutes to unload a whack of excited kids. Yeah, I'm supposed to relax while she takes her time coming to get her dog (who, by the way, didn't seem to notice that she even existed). Oh, and the dog escaped her control - get this - while they were loading him and his mate into the Animal Control van because of other infractions (not the first time these dogs have been removed, either - one of them had a bite history). So, now you know why I reacted so strongly to this thread. Sorry. (I agree - never post in anger) I'll shut up now.
Old November 19th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
Thanks, Schwinn. Funny, how we seemed to be on the opposite end of a similar situation. For me, it was an off-leash, intact male rotti standing on my dog's neck, snarling (bared teeth) at her, I'm yelling at the owner to hurry up and get her dog, while the owner was telling me to relax (in not so nice words) and the rest of her family shouted obscenities at me from across the road because I was yelling at their wife/mother. All this while I had the baby in his stroller right next to me, another mom (who is terrified of large dogs) with two young children (under 3yrs) standing there as well, while we were waiting for the school bus to arrive in minutes to unload a whack of excited kids. Yeah, I'm supposed to relax while she takes her time coming to get her dog (who, by the way, didn't seem to notice that she even existed). Oh, and the dog escaped her control - get this - while they were loading him and his mate into the Animal Control van because of other infractions (not the first time these dogs have been removed, either - one of them had a bite history). So, now you know why I reacted so strongly to this thread. Sorry. (I agree - never post in anger) I'll shut up now.
Given your situation, I would say you didn't over-react. Myself, I've been in similar situations as I mentioned. One time, I had the dog lunge at my face while my sister rode in terror behind me. (me, being an idiot, started to take a swing at the dog, to defend myself, and stop it from attacking my sister. Usually, the voice in my head doesn't speak up until it's too late, when it says, "You know what's going to happen, right?" I chalk it up to years of being a goalie and sticking my face in front of pucks). I don't think you over-reacted in your situation. The dog was threatening you, so you had every right to be upset.