Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old November 18th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Yesterday, in the Legislature

This is the link to Hansard to read what happened in the Leg. yesterday.

http://www.ontla.on.ca/hansard/house...A.htm#P75_2974

http://www.ontla.on.ca/hansard/house...htm#P413_89421

Tuesday:

http://www.ontla.on.ca/hansard/house...htm#P353_84235

http://www.ontla.on.ca/hansard/house...htm#P404_95095

Last edited by Dukieboy; November 18th, 2004 at 09:25 AM. Reason: more info
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Mr. Bryant is an idiot. He doesn't even answer questions he just opens one of the "5000" emails hes recieved. I didn't know the people of ontario qualified as the experts and he keeps saying hes talked to everyone. This guy so disgusts me.
Atleast we got more support and two MPPs added petions and signed them to enter in. Woo hoo. Thats got to be a step in the right direction.
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:25 AM

I don't understand the guy. He has made a complete idiot out of himself but for some reason doesn't seem to care. I guess he thinks any press is good press. Maybe the opposition is right and he just thinks the more he is in the paper the better his chances of eventually being the leader of the provincial liberal party. He is such a nob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:36 AM

Monday, Nov 22, In the Leg.

Did anyone hear about the second incident that the MPP was referring to? Did she pull it out of her hat? Is it verifiable. Please read and comment.

http://www.ontla.on.ca/hansard/house...htm#P103_12176
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:49 AM

It happened in Hamilton. A nine year old boy was playing with his alleged Staffordshire Terrier, when it nipped his ear and drew blood. The boy ran into the other room to show his baby-sitter when, according to the news report, the dog started attacking him. Who knows if any more information has been left out of the official news reports; All they want anyways is to be able to report "ANOTHER PIT BULL ATTACK."

The point is, any attack or bite, will be pounced upon and reported by the media, as long as it's a pit bull type dog. But if it's any other breed, you hear almost nothing.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I say this realizing I'm in GREAT danger of sounding like those who blindly protect the underdog (no pun intended), but I'm curious...is there more to this story? I mean, the dog nipped his ear? If it was attacking, would in not have ripped it off? I understand that after it nipped his ear, the boy walked over to his baby sitter in another room to show her what happened. If it was truly attacking, would he have been able to do that? This doesn't seem to fit the pattern of other maulings. Or am I just trying to look for a defense that isn't there?

Also, she mentioned not a week goes by without an attack. She's partly right. Does she realize that there has been two hospitolizations, and neither was a pitbull? I doubt it.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

They are not interested in your bite unless you were bitten by a staff or pit. I agree there is way more to that story any dog owner realizes there is a lot missing there. In other words what did the kid do to the dog? Was the nip from playing or was it a warning? This story has more to it.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 23rd, 2004, 11:59 AM
Love all creatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
I say this realizing I'm in GREAT danger of sounding like those who blindly protect the underdog (no pun intended), but I'm curious...is there more to this story? I mean, the dog nipped his ear? If it was attacking, would in not have ripped it off? I understand that after it nipped his ear, the boy walked over to his baby sitter in another room to show her what happened. If it was truly attacking, would he have been able to do that? This doesn't seem to fit the pattern of other maulings. Or am I just trying to look for a defense that isn't there?

Also, she mentioned not a week goes by without an attack. She's partly right. Does she realize that there has been two hospitolizations, and neither was a pitbull? I doubt it.
You're so right..there probably is more to the story. when my dog plays with me..sometimes she'll jump in the air to grab a toy I'm holding out for her..and accidently grab my hand..heck it hurts but she doesn't know its my hand she grabbed..and as soon as she does, she lets go and backs off..maybe that's what happened..they were playing and the dog nibbled on his ear...maybe they were playing rough and it was an accident...if a dog wanted to hurt him, that ear would be gone!...and then what happened after that? Maybe the kid got mad and punched the dog, or slapped him? WE DONT KNOW THIS..we just know that he ran to the babysitter to complain...

I'm telling you guys..cases like this should be investigated properly instead of assuming that the dog is a killer and everyone else is innocent. I just don't understand the ignorance of all of this...
Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

What bugs me is the fact that these kind of bites happen all the time. With every breed. Now there even reporting small bites and loose pit bulls. I feel sorry for this kid and the family but is it necessary to have the media report on every bite. I am sure some where in Ontario there was another dog bite that didn't get to the news and no on cares because hey it wasn't a pit bull. I hope they actually investigate each bite incident as it is important to understand.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:49 PM

Global covered the story yesterday...

If I remember correctly, they said that the child was wrestling with the dog- before it nipped his ear. The kid tried to run and hide in the closet, but the dog caught him before he could make it inside.
They interviewed the boy's mother who said that she now supports the ban.

Global also interviewed a man that owns a staffy, and had people in his area sign 100 (pages or signatures, can't remember) of a petition stating that his dog is not dangerous.

They stated that GSD and Rottys are the leaders in fatalities, and went into a story about liability insurance for dogs( Like Waterloo).

What really angers me is that if they are really concerned about kids getting bitten, why not take the opportunity and mention things that parents should teach their kids about avoiding bites.( I'm not blaming the victim here)
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:56 PM

What bothers me are people who do complete 180 degree spins after they've been personally affected.

The mother was NOT a responsible owner. She should have left explicit instructions that her child should not be left unsupervised with the dog (this applies to ANY dog breed, and kids under 12 IMO.) Second, you don't let your kid wrestle with dominant-breed dogs. Again, it is not the child's fault, but the parent was stupid and now is trying to absolve herself by saying it's all the dog's fault.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Wrestling with it? There's something that wasn't mentioned on the news I heard. I wasn't allowed to wrestle with my non-pitbull dogs growing up (my wife lets me now, because she insist that I'll be the first person Daisy bites, and it'll be my own fault.). Really, letting a child wrestle with any dog seems like a bad idea. *sigh* This is getting tiresome...I'm really losing hope, and just about ready to give up.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:47 PM

Faceless, I agree with you about being bothered by ppl who can change their opinions based on being affected by something directly.
I also find it funny (sad/ironic) that many dog owners are sitting on the fence about this issue, and not adding their voice against this ban, simply because it doesn't affect "their breed".... You can bet your last buck though, that once Bryant has banned the Pits, Amstaffs, and Staffs he's going to go after other breeds. Then those "fence-sitting" dog owners will be up in arms about the "injustice" and "why arn't there more ppl helping us???" That is what is going to make me MAD, MAD, MAD!!