Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old November 17th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Smile Update on Garfield

Hi,

ME, our vet, called me today to tell me that the little girl (she is 12 and when I was 12 I was not happy if anyone called me little so I shall have to update that to adolescent) of the family brought Garfield to the vet to have him neutered!!!

This child is clearly more responsible than her parents and she confided to the vet's secretary (who is married to my cousin - hey, this is the Maritimes, lol) that she did not tell her parents because they might be mad, sigh!!!

So, Garfield - whose real name is T-Chat (At one time he was very petite - when he was a kitten I guess ) was neutered. (Note: In French, T is short for Petit) and of course chat is cat)

This child saved her pennies and loonies and brought the cat to the vet in a taxi! (I would have gladly transported him) but Lynn, the secretary, drove her home. The parents were not home. Garfield -er - T Chat - is recouperating at the vets. L has 3 cats at home so she does not know is she can keep him till he is better and I do not know how he would bond with Yin Yin so my recomemndation is that the daughter explain (or one of us? Would that look too much like meddling?) to her parents that she brought the cat to be neutered.

I just wonder about these parents - having seen many cases of child neglect and worse in my medical career.

Anyway, at least T'Chat will not be responsible for the creation of any more petits chats!!!
Old November 17th, 2004, 04:58 PM

Those parents are missing a few screws. I feel for that girl, to be twelve and so responsible. :sad: Well at least T Chat is being neutered.
Old November 17th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Well,to some people cats are not much more than vermin and they would never even consider spending a dime on a mere cat
Kudos to the little girl for loving him enough to have him neutered,obviously smarter and kinder than her parents.
In my experience with having cats neutered,they do not need a lot of recovery time,mine were always fine the day after.
Hopefully Garfield will have a better life now and best of all,no unwanted little kittens will be born.
Old November 17th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Amazing how responsible she is for a 12 year old I think she needs to be praised for her responsible actions and where the hell are her parents.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog