Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 27th, 2012, 09:52 AM

Unhappy raw pads

hi, everyone, ive tried searching and searching for something similar to my dogs raw pad problem, only finding a couple things..so im hoping posting something i might get a better answer..

so he is contantly biting at his paw pads, he does this until hes bleeding and still does it sometimes when hes whining < this is only if i havent noticed by that point, but i usually catch him. he has to wear a cone all of the time, expessially when we are out, the worst part is hes figured out how to be flexible and get around the cone if they are really bugging him..
i just want to help him, and low on money, so im hoping someone might know a solution.
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Chewing and licking the feet indicates an allergy usually. What do you feed him?
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Elderly chihuahuas R us

Yup, sounds like an allergy, although the scabs might be itchy enough that he will continue to bite at them while they are healing up, even if you remove the offending food.

If you can afford it, you might try putting manuka honey with a high UMF on his paws, then wrap his paws up as well as you can with non-stick sterile pads/clean gauze, then perhaps a sock which is then taped up, to keep it all together.

Honey is a natural antiseptic and antibiotic and manuka honey is said to be particularly good. I've had very good results with it, and even if your dog pulls of the bandages (as mine always do) and attempts to eat the dressings (ditto), it's safe.

You can google "manuka honey dog paws" or other such combinations to find out more about it. Or go to a site such as Amazon and read the reviews to get a feeling for what it does and does not work for.

Obviously that is just treating the symptoms, not solving the underlying problem, but I wanted to suggest it as something you might want to pursue as you work on the underlying issue.
Old February 27th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We also have a girl with itchy paws. If you can heal them up so they're no longer raw, you can then try treating with a dilute solution of apple cider vinegar--1 part ACV to 4 or 5 parts water. That seems to help Macie's paws a lot--we just soak a bit of paper towel in the solution and dab on and between the pads. It'll sting like the dickens if you get it into a raw sore, though, so you have to be careful.

She used to be much worse, though, until we switched her food to one with a different protein. That helped the underlying food allergy and improved her paws and skin quite a bit. Turns out she tolerates fish much better than chicken.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."