Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old November 9th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Meaghan Edwards

animal cruelty law/dangerous dog law = connection?

I was just thinking the other day about why the updated animal cruelty was defeated again. Could it have anythning to do with the proposed dangerous dog law, especially with the animal research act?
Old November 9th, 2004, 09:20 PM
banned user

Lightbulb Yes, it does look kinda fishy doesn't it.

(I have a hard time believing in co-incidences, esp. when politicians are involved.)
Old November 10th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree very fishy. Since they have tabled the bills that are and have been in the legislature for about 2 years. I personally feel that they are partially responsible for the things that these dogs have had to endure as well as other breeds. But animal services has been begging for these bills to be enacted and more money to get undercover stings going to bust up puppy mills and BYB and fight rings. But of course the city was whining they have no money. But they have lots for politcal trips (millions wasted here) and politicans wives birthday parties at a cost of 40,000.00 which by the way we paid for but none of us were invited. But they cant use this money to save these abused animals. That is not important until MB decided on his personal vendetta against pits and staffs. Now amazingly he thinks they can fund this bill.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 10th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't see a connection, it's a Federal Bill.
Old November 13th, 2004, 01:37 PM

I was thinking about this the other day. Mind you, I don't know much about the animal research act. I do think that the McGuinty government considers Bio-medical research to be a growth industry in Ontario.
After reading the post about the proposed London ban, I did a quick search.

http://www.ontariocanada.com/ontcan/...ued_london.jsp
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
A couple of things that stuck out to me:

London's growing strength as a national Centre of Excellence for biomedical technology has its roots in the diverse areas of research and expertise developed at such institutions as .... . Areas of expertise include ....animal research.
Identified as a key economic growth sector, the Life Sciences industry is one of London's largest and most enduring industries with over 20,000 people employed at London hospitals and research institutions, including over 1,000 researchers, and over $130 million spent annually on research. London was chosen as one of three centres in Ontario for biotechnology commercialization. The London Biotechnology Commercialization Centre, made possible through a grant of $5 million by the Province of Ontario and matching funds from the City of London, will house and grow early stage biotech companies.

Provincial Collaboration: ...
The Province of Ontario supports economic development in the London region through several recent initiatives:.....
The new $10 million Biotech Commercialization Centre was jointly funded by the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade and the City of London to provide 50,000 sq.ft. for up to 15 early-stage companies at UWO's Research Park
------------------------------------------------------------------------
McGuinty is spending alot of money on Bio-med research.
Just a theory, but more research means more animals needed.
My understanding of the provincal animal act is that research facilities can either use unadopted dogs from shelters ( Cheap ) or animals breed specifically for research( Expensive ).

Like I said earlier, I'm not really informed on this issue. So take what I wrote with a grain of salt.
Old November 13th, 2004, 03:11 PM
banned user

Bill C-22 is still waiting to be heard from MPP. Bill C-22 Cruelty to Animals is still something many HS are fighting and hope to have the laws changed, you can read all about it on the CFHS website. Lots of info there to read and help people understand more about it. It's not yet been defeated lets hope it never is.
Old November 16th, 2004, 01:35 AM
banned user

Unhappy Here is a link on Provincial policies, & obtaining Pound

animals for research. :sad:

http://www.cruelscience.ca/pound-prov.htm