Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old November 9th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Herbie the Love Pug's Mom

Question Deciding factors?

I'd love to hear from people that work with rescue groups for this question.

I'm in the process of attempting to rescue a sweet little dog from a rescue service.

Apparently however, I'm not the only one interested in this little pooch. So what is it that will make me stand out from the rest?

I've already met this dog and have fallen MADLY in love with him! Perhaps I have become too emotionally involved before even knowing what my chances are, but I really feel like he should be MY baby and no one elses, lol!

Here's the thing: I live in an apartment and both me and my boyfriend work 9 to 5. BUT - my boyfriend works across the street from my apartment. He'll be in and out all day, and will come home for a one hour lunch. Not only that, but my mother (the woman who made me the dog lover I am today) lives 5 minutes away from us and has volunteered (more like insisted) that she help with my future doggie once I get him/her. This means we will either bring our doggie to her place while we work or she will come over to visit. It all depends on how my future doggie will react to my mom's wheaten terrier.

Not only all this, but I should mention I have no life outside of work - LOL! I really want to dedicate ALL my spare time to my furbaby! I have been waiting my whole life for an opportunity to have one of my very own. )

I have the financial means for a dog, and the building I live in permits them (rare in Montreal!). I live in a great neighbourhood near lots of parks. I have tons of support from friends and family to care for this dog.

The dog I have met and want SO badly is a pug, and I know he/she will do well in an apartment. I know that this particular fella is rather energetic and I am totally ready to give him all the exercise he needs, so that's not a concern.

Here's why I'm confused: a few weeks ago, I posted on this bulletin board saying I was looking for a pug to rescue. I indicated in the ad that I worked all day and so did my bf and we wanted an adult for that reason. We just didn't have the time commitment to give to a puppy. Basically, if I had a puppy (and I will have one at some point in my life), I would want to be there 24-7. Otherwise, I want an adult.

Anyways, I got a call from a rescue agency about a pug. I filled out a long application that says everything I said here and more, and they arranged a meeting between the pug and my boyfriend and I (which made me assume they thought we were a good match).

Now the pug is up for adoption with this agency and has several people interested.

I'm confused. Do they like me or not? I totally understand that they want the best for the little pug, and so do I. AND ITS WITH ME! LOL! I'm kidding - really.

But people on this board who decide these things - do you think I still have a chance? I don't want to name names about what dog it is at what agency, taht wouldn't be fair. But I would really love some feedback from people who decide this.

I know pugs are popular and they will get a million applications. But my heart breaks because honestly, I have wanted a pug all my life - before any "trend". I don't know why. Life is mysterious. But I love this dog and I feel he is mine.

What are my chances experts?

Whew! That was long... sorry! lol

:love: SarahJane :love:
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Senior Contributor

It sounds like you can give a dog a wonderful home. And yes, MANY people are interested in small breed, cute dogs and there is never a problem rehoming them. The only problem is deciding who will get them.

Our goal, and the goal of any rescue should be to make sure the animals go to the best home possible, and that they will never be abandoned or abused again. We make sure people understand that this is a comittment for the life of the animal.

Is your b/f as much of a dog lover as you are? Does he want this dog as badly as you do? What if you and he break up (I hope not! )? Will the dog be left from 9 - 5 alone in an apartment all day where it may bark and annoy neighbours? What will you do if this dog doesn't get along with your mom's dog?

If I were you, I would be calling every day, showing how badly I want this dog. Someone who only calls or emails once is one thing, but someone who is persistant is another and persistance (along with the other things you have mentioned) would weigh greatly in your favour. In fact, I would call right now and say what you said here;
Quote:
I've already met this dog and have fallen MADLY in love with him! Perhaps I have become too emotionally involved before even knowing what my chances are, but I really feel like he should be MY baby and no one elses, lol!
That would make an impression on me!
Old November 9th, 2004, 09:36 PM

Hi LuckyRescue!

I've been lurking on pets.ca for a while now, and I've seen many of your wise posts. It was actually you whom I was hoping would reply to this thread!

Of course, ANYONE with any kind of experience at all can give my their two cents...

Anyways, I completely understand the desire to put dogs in the best possible homes for their needs. Selfish desires aside, this is truly my main interest when it comes to this sweet dog I've met! Doesn't hurt that I think that would be me...

Why did he have to come running up to me the second we met and why did he calm down sweetly in my arms when I held him like a baby? WHY? It was all over after that, let me tell you! :love:

Initially, I was the one who introduced my BF to the world of pets, as he was never raised with them. He is now a freak like me... pointing out every dog we pass on the street, freaking out over every hilarious thing my family dog does, watching endless hours of "The Planet's Funniest Animals" on Animal Planet with me... Basically, I converted him. He'll never go back to a petless life! And whoah, when he met this little monster that we want to adopt... he was mush. We both love him to bits.

Getting to the next question... I would never leave this dog lover I've created . We've been together for 5 years now, living together for 4.... we're in for the long haul (knock on wood!).

The dog would never be alone for more than, say 4 hours at a time at the worst. I have heard his bark, and it has enthusiasm, but luckily, it's volume is adorably low.

If this furbaby does not get along with Poppy (and Poppy seems to like pugs), my mom has still offered to come and visit daily without her, although the visits would be admitedly shorter. But, with the combination of my boyfriend's visits and my mothers visits, my baby would rarely be alone. And when I come home... watch out! CUDDLE FEST for the rest of the night! lol!

About "hounding" (so to speak - ha!) the rescue agency about the dog... I've already done this to a small degree and I got the feeling they were annoyed. I could be misinterpreting having a busy day and a lot to do with annoyance, but I felt like I was actually worsening my chances if I contacted them too often. Do you still think I should persist? I'm not a pest generally speaking, but for this dog I would be willing to become one...

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom. It gives me faith that you say I would make a wonderful home for this dog... that's what I want to do, so badly!

Take care and feel free to e-mail me if you like... sarahjanemorris@hotmail.com.... that goes for anyone!
Old November 10th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

No one should be annoyed at a qualified home being over-eager to get a dog.

We are thrilled when someone "hounds" us for a particular cat and are so excited they cannot wait another day to go meet it but must go tonight!

I'm sure there is a great deal of interest in an adorable purebred Pug, so you must stand out of from the crowd.

I really hope you get this baby. I know which dog you're talking about, and he certainly is cute!
Old November 10th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Lucky my first rescue I fell in love with as soon as I met him but there was another couple interested in him. I emailed her the next day to let her know how much I wanted this dog. I called the day after that and I figured either they will give me this boy just to get rid of me or will realize that I am who the dog should be with. I emailed the third day with my vet as a reference and that night she called me and said my persistance paid off because he was mine. I wanted to go that night but she made me wait till the next day since the dog was 2.5 hours away. She said as Lucky did it showed that I really wanted the dog and it was not a fly by night decision and she had called my vet who gave me a great reference said if he was a dog he would want to be living with me. So be persistent it pays.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 10th, 2004, 12:35 PM

I hope you get the pug. The waiting game is a killer. Good luck Sarah.
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:14 PM

Unhappy

Waah, I just found out I am among 20 applicants for this little dog. I am losing faith.
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I just found out I am among 20 applicants for this little dog.
I'm not surprised.

I just sent you a private message.
Old November 10th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Senior Contributor

hello SarahJane.....welcome

I really hope you get your pug like lucky said be persistant, my fingers are crossed for you

P.S. I just looooove your name That is my daughters name
Old November 10th, 2004, 06:53 PM

I sent you a PM SarahJane..
Old November 10th, 2004, 10:15 PM

Thank you everyone for your support! Ultimately, I really do just want this dog to go to the best possible home. I will leave it to the fates to decide what happens from here... I may nudge them a little in my direction though, lol! And thank you Igette for the compliment on my name! It has taken me a while, but I have finally grown to like it after all. Maybe I really am growing up... lol. I'll keep you all posted with any news! Take care everyone!

- Woodrow Wilson
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:13 PM
<-----nut ball

Sarah, I am having the same problem. I applied for several dogs, and applied with a general application to some rescues. I got some responses, but it most cases someone better beat me to it. you have a better situation than me though. I am gone from 8-4 plus 1 hour travel each way to work...so 10 hours the dog would be alone. And we have no one to come see him/her duing the day.

I guess I'm not persistant at all. Personally I hate it when people are persistant with me (just because of my job. If someone calls me even once every week..I start getting afraid to answer the phone. I can't imagine what it would be like if someone called me every day!!!) I hate bothering people, makes me feel bad. I keep thinking they hate me if I call more than once. I figure I call once. If I don't hear back, they chose someone else. That's it.

My biggest problems is I hate phones! I hate talking on the phone. I hate phoning people. I hate it when people call me. I hate voice mail. I hate returning calls. And I hate calling long distance. Right now my little red light on my phone at work is glaring at me saying "you have messages!!" and I dread getting them.

You guys in rescue actually like it when people call and call and call?? That would drive me nuts!!

Good luck with the pug though!!
Old November 11th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
You guys in rescue actually like it when people call and call and call??
Well, if totally unqualified people call - like someone who wants to put a kitten in a barn or declaw it, they are told in no uncertain terms to not call again.

However, if there is a qualified and wonderful home waiting for an animal, and that person wants it so badly they can't wait to hear, it sure wouldn't annoy us!

However we don't expect people to wait and wait for an answer either.
Old November 12th, 2004, 06:52 PM

Well, it was not meant to be! I just found out tonight that the little pug I had my heart sent on will not be coming hoem with me. I am happy though, I am sure he's going with fantastic people. I mean, if they are better prospective doggie parents than I am, they must be FANTASTIC...

I'm also happy because I know I will rescue at some point. I know my furbaby will find me. My heart and home are open to a furbaby that needs me. She/he will come soon enough!

- Woodrow Wilson
Old November 12th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh gee - sorry to hear you didn't get that cutie. I'm sure there is one out there who really needs you, and yes - you'll find the right one, or he'll find you!