Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Suggestions & Improvements

View Poll Results: Would you pay $5. with 20% going to a shelter to sell used stuff in a new forum.
Yes if I had something to sell I'd pay the 5 bucks. 12 63.16%
No - I'd never pay 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 5th, 2004, 11:27 AM
<-----nut ball

a for sale forum

Not a pet for sale, but equipment for sale forum.

I mean, I was looking at the prices of crates and stuff at the store and they are so expensive. I know lots of people who have old crates in their basement and stuff like that that they would love to sell. Oh! And old baby gates.

I was hoping to find some used things like crates and baby gates, but don't know where to look.

What do you think?
Old November 5th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Before you go and buy a new crate I have one at home which is in good shape so let me know if you need one. Cheap.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 5th, 2004, 12:29 PM

that is a great idea!!!
Old November 5th, 2004, 12:52 PM
banned user

Crates Raingirl

I got my crate,the extralarge for $110 at www.petsupplyhouse.com Petsmart they wanted $199(clearance) for the same one!

I get alot of my stuff at this above place,,they are cheaper than Petsmart or Superpet etc

And your idea is great!
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:11 PM

I think it's a wonderful idea. If people would put their location in the title line then we'd all know where they're from, or if it would be cheaper to buy locally rather than ship. But then again, most folks here seem to be from Ontario.
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:32 PM

Question, though, would people be allowed to sell non-pet-related stuff? Or put up links to their own businesses? Would it conflict with the Sponsor forum?

Raingirl, we sold our old crate (sorry!) on SuperShopper for $60 (it was metal XXL, but didn't have a bottom pan). Until this new forum is up and running, maybe you could look there? Or e-bay?
Old November 5th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Shih-Tzu Mommy

I too need a crate, if there's anyone in toronto that has an old one lying around.
Old November 5th, 2004, 04:16 PM

If it were me making the a new forum.....
It should be stipulated that:
IF A NEW FORUM IS CREATED: The newly created forum should be a "buy and sell" kind of atmosphere. No dealers, personal businesses. Kinda like a virtual garage sale. Any post pointing someone in a specific site or an "e-bay" type sale the poster has created, should be deleted.

/my opinion
Old November 5th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

This is not a bad idea---but yes I could see a conflict of interest between this new type of forum and the sponsored products forum.

The only way I could see this working is if there would be some type of charge associated with these commercial posts. Otherwise everyone and their uncle would come to sell their stuff and use more bandwith thereby increasing our expenses. I'd also have to look into the programming costs involved for something like this.

Is this something that would interest the members?
Please post honestly as always.

Thanks much!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I think this is a good idea, if it's only stuff that private individuals are selling - used pet supplies, etc. I do think it should be limited to pet supplies to avoid a flood of ads, as Marko says.

I have two big beautiful bird cages I would love to sell.
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:32 PM

Oh, just thought of one more thing. To keep the number of ads down, make a rule that only the original post about the item is allowed. No replies back and forth. If you're interested, send the seller a pm. Whadda ya think?
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Meaghan Edwards

I love that idea!
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:29 PM

Just a thought, but if for sale adds might pose a problem, what about free adds? Sort of a freecycle for pet items(not pets). Rescue's, shelters or individuals could post items they need and people could post items their giving away. People giving an item away can decide where they want their free item to go. All replies could be made private, no sales, no money changing hands and no one blaming pets.ca for an item they bought and it broke a day later.(another consideration) I think it would be a great way to help rescues, shelters and an individual who might need a pet item one of us might have sitting in the storage room that we've been meaning to get rid of.
Old November 6th, 2004, 08:12 AM

There is one of these at Todays Parent. People list anything that they have for sale and the forum does really well. One of the members also started a feedback forum that is and excellent idea so that people can say "yah or nah" about their transaction.

See the Virtual Garage Sale here
http://community.todaysparent.com/fs.../36/?s=display

Heather
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I think it is a great idea........should be kept to pet supplies and like someone mentioned no replies to post just PMs then when item is gone original poster should have the option available to delete the post.
Also as someone mentioned it should stay exclusivly on pets.ca site no links to ebay etc.....

Great idea though
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:12 AM
<-----nut ball

hhahaha. I had forgot I posted this!

I was going to suggest the no reply thing as well. Makes it easier.

One thing to save on bandwidth form PMing back and forth, is some places you can send to a poster to their registered e-mail via the forum, like e-bay, where their e-mail isn't posted for seciruty reasons. Sorry, it's monday so it that didn't make sense, let me know.

I guess there would have to be a moderator that would have to delete improper posts (like businesses).

It would only be for regular people getting rid of excess supplies etc for free or for a small cost.
Old November 14th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I like it!!! What a great idea...but ONLY pet related privately owned stuff. I don't want a pet supplier to come on here and try to sell us their new expensive stuff when we can help some of our "own" people to get the stuff they need. Free and sell is a great idea too.....we go on a yahoo site "freecycle calgary" and there is some amazing stuff people are giving away free. There could also be a "wanted" section, for people to post things they need or want for their pets!

Wheeeeeeeee~!!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old November 15th, 2004, 12:03 AM

i know i'm a 'newbie' here but i say great idea.
i went to pet smart today and was shocked at the prices of some of the stuff, particular carriers, pet furniture, even toys.
i live on a disability income and the idea of finding things at low to no cost would be wonderful. i am already a thrift store afficianado
i concur with others tho ... pet stuff only ... there are enough sites that u can post ur classifieds on already.
just my 2 cents.
Old November 17th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Opinions - update?

What would people think about a 5 dollar a month charge - with 20% of this fee going to the Lucky Rescue organization?
luckyrescue.petfinder.com

You could include a picture and 6-8 lines of text.

The exact rules would still need to be figured out but it would be a no reply forum.

NB - The 20% to Lucky Rescue was OUR idea not LuckyRescue's
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 17th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

No it certainly wasn't my idea, but if anyone wants to do this every cent goes directly to the animals for vet bills and supplies as we operately solely on donations and adoption fees.

Very thoughtful of you Marko!
Old November 17th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Marko I think it is a great idea and donating to Luckys rescue works for me. My only suggestion is that if it does take off and do well I think we should have a dog rescue as well and alternate them every 3 months or something like that. Or you could put in a trust account and divide it at year end. But as long as some animals benefit from it that is all that matters.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 17th, 2004, 11:44 AM
BLIND DOGS RULE!

Re: Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdDiamond
If it were me making the a new forum.....
It should be stipulated that:
IF A NEW FORUM IS CREATED: The newly created forum should be a "buy and sell" kind of atmosphere. No dealers, personal businesses. Kinda like a virtual garage sale. Any post pointing someone in a specific site or an "e-bay" type sale the poster has created, should be deleted.

/my opinion
I wonder if this would really work. For NON COMMERCIAL classifieds, there are too many places on the internet for people to sell or swap their wares for free. In the end, it may not work out as a positivie thing here.

Now commercial ads - absolutely ! Breeders, sellers, small time dealers, sure - make it more than affordable for them. If they are willing to pay for a newspaper ad, if they are selling goods for profit, not just the old bird cage in the basement, then this is the market to aim for , for paid ads.
- OR - act as your own sort of "ebay" and take a commission from transactions (maybe that would be far more acceptable)... just tossing out thoughts here. The php or cgi software is often free and available so it's a good possibility to do it this way.

.... only my opinion also.

Visit Us Online At:
http://www.chowpei.net]Visit Us Online

Old November 17th, 2004, 11:46 AM
<-----nut ball

It's a good idea but I don't see how it would work? Who would people pay?

Also, there are many places to post free ads online, why would people pay here when they can do it for free?
Old November 17th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I say let's go for it. I love the charitable aspect. But as LR says, only used pet supplies, no commerce, just helping each other out. New stuff can be so expensive.
Old November 17th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Breeders, sellers, small time dealers, sure
No breeders! There would be an avalanche of puppy millers and backyard breeders peddling puppies! We certainly don't want to help those people out.

I agree there are lots of places where anyone can advertise for free, but this is to help the animals.
Old November 17th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimei
I wonder if this would really work. For NON COMMERCIAL classifieds, there are too many places on the internet for people to sell or swap their wares for free. In the end, it may not work out as a positivie thing here.

Now commercial ads - absolutely ! Breeders, sellers, small time dealers, sure - make it more than affordable for them. If they are willing to pay for a newspaper ad, if they are selling goods for profit, not just the old bird cage in the basement, then this is the market to aim for , for paid ads.
- OR - act as your own sort of "ebay" and take a commission from transactions (maybe that would be far more acceptable)... just tossing out thoughts here. The php or cgi software is often free and available so it's a good possibility to do it this way.

.... only my opinion also.
All opinions are welcome. But, if I spend 90% of my Internet activity here, why would I want to search all over the WWW to find something I could have at a fingerclick here?

It would be a sad day for sure if Pets.ca allowed breeders to advertise here. The amount of millers hanging around would get overwhelming. So, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
If Pets.ca starts acting like an e-bay type of swap meet, then the attraction would be too high for the bad eggs out there. I don't see that idea as flying.
Keep it as it is now, friends helping friends, only lump it into one forum instead of various threads all over.
Old November 17th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Shih-Tzu Mommy

Is there a timeframe when and if this is going to start? I really need a crate and a carrier for my baby.
Old November 17th, 2004, 02:50 PM

No breeders would be allowed here - please keep the opinions comin'

Please answer the poll on top as well.

thx
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 17th, 2004, 04:17 PM

If I had something to sell, sure, I'd pay the $5. As it is now, though, I seem to be the only one here from Winnipeg, so it would cost an arm & a leg to ship something to either me, or from me.

I think it'll fly though!
Old November 17th, 2004, 09:10 PM
BLIND DOGS RULE!

response

Quote:
All opinions are welcome. But, if I spend 90% of my Internet activity here, why would I want to search all over the WWW to find something I could have at a fingerclick here?

...but that's you.
I'm only speculating that's all.
Even if the cause is a good one I don't know that it means it'll be worth the alienation (if any). Of course if breeders are not welcomed then so be it, fine. Your classified should be governed under what ever rules you choose of course.... and I guess there is an old story.. if you don't try it... you'll never know. but I think that most will avoid paying a fee to sell used or unwanted goods. (my tiny opinion of course)

Visit Us Online At:
http://www.chowpei.net]Visit Us Online