Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old November 5th, 2004, 09:06 AM

Question

If a person/rescue takes mill dogs(pays for them) and rehomes them($300-$400) . Is this a rescue or is it brokering. I find this practice a little strange cause are we not just supporting the miller
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

In home Breeder

We have presently taken in three dogs from an in home breeder with questionable health conditions and very questionable practices. We have had to pay for 2 of the 3. The reasons we have done this are as follows:
1) to help the dog who would have ended up going to a similar life all over again
2) to build a veterinary file on this person so that charges may be laid at a later date

Also, these dogs have cost us much higher in veterinary bills than our adoption fee covers. We asked our normal fee and absorbed the difference through donations.

This said, we still aren't sure either if it's the way to go but in this province it seems the only way to build a case against a questionable in home breeder presently.
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:49 AM

I understand but an adoption fee of $300-400 seems a little steep or is that normal. This is also not a couple of dogs but when i last saw there were over 10.
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

pricing

Perhaps that is what it has cost them to cover all the medical bills. It does seem rather steep but some rescues do charge a fair price for purebreds. Is this a rescue or is there no indication?
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:02 AM

yes it is a rescue i just worry that by taking puppies from a miller we are just giving them money to breed more. If we can convinence people not to buy then they will not breed if they can't sell them but by the rescuer selling them for her then she is a middleman
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:16 AM
<-----nut ball

That's what I worry about. I have corresponded with one rescuer and she told me that she is getting her dogs from a mill that is closing down. But how do you know that the money isn't going back to the mill?

The other thing that makes me wonder is pet stores. I know it's bad to buy from a pet store and all, but I feel bad for the dogs! They are already there, and probably half will end up in rescues because of the bad breeding. It's so tempting to just buy them isn't it?? (I went into PJ's to get some prices on some supplies, and they had a english bulldog puppy. He was gorgeous. I was so tempted to buy him!! He was so round and cudly, and so fat that he had trouble getting up with his pot belly!). I wish pet stores weren't so stupid...
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

If a backyard breeder or puppy mill is paid for their dogs, that is not rescuing them. These people should not profit from what they are doing, or they will never stop.

As for pet stores that sell puppies and kittens, I make sure I'm never tempted by NOT going into those places. You can get everything you need at pet supply stores.

Every time someone buys one of these puppies, they are supporting, rewarding and condoning puppy mills. The ONLY way to stop this is to NOT ever buy a puppy from any of these sources.
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:32 AM

I know of at least one "rescuer" on here that is paying a miller for her dogs mostly puppies. She told me this when i called about one of the puppies she had advertised. If anyone wants to know please do so privately
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

That's a reasonable amount for a rescue - the Hamilton SPCA charges more than that for pups. If the dogs are properly vetted and altered I don't see a problem with it.
Old November 5th, 2004, 12:57 PM

I don't think the issue here is how much the rescue is charging for their pups (I think $300-$400 for a spayed/neutered pure-breed is reasonable), but rather that they paid for them in the first place. As LuckyRescue said, they're just continuing to fund the millers/BYBs, who will never shut down as long as they continue to make money. Now, if this person is getting the puppies for free from a miller who is in fact shutting down, then that's a different story.
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:05 PM

No I spoke to her at great length and she was paying for them. I got the idea that the miller was setting the price for the pups and the "rescuer" was actually selling them for her
Old November 6th, 2004, 08:55 PM

Having spoken to the person again i have found out that she is indeed taking adults and puppies that the miller doesn't need and she is indeed paying for them.
She is asking $400 for the pups and some haven't even been vetted,

She said the only thing they all had had was dewormed and revolution

The more of rescue i see the more i don't know where to turn for a good dog

She was asking almost $100 for a dog that wasn't even in her rescue but still with either the owner or pound and that she didn't do shots or spay/neuter the adopter had 2-4 weeks to do it

She is adopting out an intact chi for $200 so lets hope another miller doesn't see him and grab him for another life of misery
Out of one fire and into another
Old November 7th, 2004, 01:08 AM

That is not a rescue, that is for sure. Why are they calling themselves a rescue? did you ask them this? anyone can buy a dog from someone and resell it, doesn't make them a "rescue" esp when spay/neuter isn't done.
Old November 7th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Spurby is right - that's not rescue.

And NoNo - there are plenty of wonderful rescues out there. Not sure why you seem to only ask questions about the sketchy ones - but there are many fabulous ones - if that is in fact what you are looking for.
Old November 7th, 2004, 09:09 PM

The reason i asked the question in the first place is because the person that is selling these puppies from the miller is on this list and until i talked to her i thought that most of the people on here were from reputable rescues. Guess not I am looking for a smaller quieter dog. I have a child who has cancer and wants a bed buddy to spend time with If you can recommend a good rescue i would appreciate it thanks
Old November 7th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Contact Lorraine Houston - I bet she can help you find an appropriate little dog. She runs Speaking of Dogs rescue and is awesome: http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/ON102.html
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:22 AM

AND, she will only list reputable rescues She has a huge list of contacts on her site to check out.
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Why would you think that? Order a copy of Lorraine's breed rescue and all breed rescue book that is in all Ontario shelters. The "rescues" that are not in there, are NOT in there for a reason. All the rescues that you have posted about to my knowledge are NOT in that book. It is the one shelters and other rescues look to for a reputable and ethical rescue - Lorraine does an awesome job of it, all out of her own pocket and on her own time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO NO bad dog
i thought that most of the people on here were from reputable rescues. Guess not
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:58 PM

I just saw that most of the people on here seemed to be from rescue or involved with rescue somehow and assumed that they were from good rescues

i should know better that to assume as it makes an ass out of me everytime
Old October 18th, 2005, 12:02 PM

no no bad dog ,please email me

please email me, I have read a few thread s and have some info for you.

Please and thank you.
Old October 18th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Helicopter Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveyadogs

Please and thank you.
This thread is almost a year old (hasn't had a reply since Nov 11 / 04)
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveyadogs

Please and thank you.
I'm curious as to what info you have... .... ....
Old October 19th, 2005, 08:43 AM

You and me both Prin.

loveyadogs:
Care to share the info with the rest of us? It may be something that can help others.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!

Last edited by Trinitie; October 19th, 2005 at 09:11 AM.
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

The member is no longer on the board so lets not rehash this one. Yes she was buying from a mill and claiming them to be rescues, and not vetted. So she was just as slimey
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog