Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old November 4th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

If this is any indication of how animal services and ....

Well after waiting for 3 days for animal control and public health to get back to me. I finally called them after the usual transferring from dept. to dept. I finally got to the girl who took the original report. She was not surprised that they had not gotten to me yet but got me connected to the person who I needed to speak to. First I have to have him quarantined for 10 days then after they agree that he does not have rabies even though I have his vet records and tag. So before this boy goes to rainbow bridge they will quarantine him. The people that I have dealt with at Public Health and Animal Control have been very nice and still kept saying they could not believe that the owner would call in to notify of a bite. But in doing this it has made them much more amicable and saying that they are letting George stay with us till Saturday and misplace the muzzle order papers till after hours on Friday. Because there is no way I would attempt to put a muzzle on him.
With this all said I did have a little chat with the gentleman from Public Health and he is dead set against this ban feels it will never work and the woman at animal services thinks MB has done absolutley no research and is "talking out his a##" and needs to do research. Alot of these people in these offices are not going to go out of there way to accomodate the hysterical public because they say it is about the owners and not the dogs. They also wanted to know where all these politican have been while they have been begging for better laws and funding to investigate the many anonymus tips that come in regarding abuse and pit bull fighting rings. So in other words this is partially their fault for not listening and know we have a rabid dog trying to ban a breed. The man from public health said irresponsible owners are the problem not responsible owners like me who would actually report and be willing to work with them, to come to a resolution best for everyone involved. So a word of advice if anybody needs to deal with these agencies it is in your and your dogs best interest to work with them and be nice. I said I realize you are understaffed and there is probably not enough hours in the day for you to get to everyone you have to but we understand that. You know what just like all of us they work hard and have a job where they are underpaid and I am sure the deal with more ignorant people in one day then we do in a week. Plus they dont like this law anymore then we do and want to protect the animals
A dog has so many friends because they wag their tails not their tongues.
R.I.P. Buddy 2002-2008 The best Mastiff ever.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 4th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

** I cut my post out and brought it here **

Nice work Robin. I'm glad that you guys had a good chat, it seems only the people that work with dogs and REAL animal lovers understand that this ban is wrong... why is it that none of these people are being heard?? There are so many comments about how all this is wrong, but the only thing we see on television is that the "overwhelming" public is all for this ban?!?!

Does this mean that George will be staying with you a little longer then tomorrow?? He still has to be quarantine right?? That at your house or the shelter?? That means that he's not visiting the bridge until at least next week sometime?!? :sad: Poor doggie, but you're right... you just can't take that risk. It's not fair to others (Buddy, you, other dogs and other people).
Old November 4th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Um, wow. Interesting, but not surprising. I find the only people who are for the ban are the ones who really aren't qualified to give a professional opinion. All the experts are against it! And that isn't the first person who's mentioned that Bryant talks where he sits.

On another note...what happened? Did I miss something. I do that sometimes...

Oh, I also want to tell you I'm impressed for being responsible about it. Personally, it wouldn't occur to me to call about a dog bite, my dog or otherwise. I've been bitten a couple of times, I never called. I would only call if I figured it was a dog that was a menace. (I try to prescribe to the "poop happens" mentality when dealing with the outside world. Doesn't always work, though. )
Old November 4th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

This was regarding my foster George that bit someone the original post was under rescue talk. Sammie George gets to stay till saturday
Old November 4th, 2004, 04:11 PM

Are they then going to quarentine him at the shelter? Or does he get to be with you and Buddy until he is PTS? Give him a chewy from us!!(I'd say hug, but...)
Hugs to you and Buddy too

Last edited by Sheriffmom; November 4th, 2004 at 04:12 PM. Reason: sp
Old November 4th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry to hear about that. I really don't know anything of the story, but I do know what you must be going through. My parents dog was put down last week, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't go into the washroom a couple of times that day at work to shed a tear.

Old November 4th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

George gets to stay till Saturday then I have to take him in for 10 day quarantine. Then he goes to rainbow bridge. So we will make his last days special. Schwinn if it would have been a little bite I wouldn't have reported it and my friend agreed but it was a serious bite 9 stitches.
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

You should be able to quarantine him at home.
Old November 5th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
George gets to stay till Saturday then I have to take him in for 10 day quarantine. Then he goes to rainbow bridge. So we will make his last days special. Schwinn if it would have been a little bite I wouldn't have reported it and my friend agreed but it was a serious bite 9 stitches.
I hope you didn't take that as a judgement or a shot (don't know if you did or not). I only meant it's never occurred to me to report it, I didn't know that was something that you should do. If I was going to report any of them when it happened, I would have called the cops, as I didn't know there was a process, or even a place to report it. I think that's truly commendable that you were that responsible, especially given how much you care for your pets.
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:37 PM
banned user

Exclamation So WHY isn't the Att. Gen's office investigating it!?

It's what he is supposed to do! It's part of his darn job description!!!!!
AAAAaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Illegal Gaming, Gangs, Organized Crime, Racketeering, Unreported Revenues from Illegal Activities, Public Endangerment (in public parks)..etc., etc., He's the one with the human resourses, power, to do it!!! But he's too busy persecuting the Victims!

The only part that isn't Directly His Responsibiity, is the animal cruelty aspect. That sits with OSPCA.(And of course, he aint' bothering with them..)
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:14 PM
banned user

Unhappy Mastifflover, I'm Sorry!

My stupid computer has been kicking out all week, & I'm trying to get stuff done in a hurry. it was thoughtless of me not comment on how sad I am for you & George. :sad: (I did say how badly I felt for both of you the 1st time I posted, but the 'puter died..)