Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:27 AM

Now what? Advice anyone?

I registered my dog with the City last week. I got the license yesterday. On my application I put that his BREED was UNKNOWN MIX.

On the registration they sent back they had ID'd him as PITBULL MIX. So I emailed the Manager at Animal Services, she emailed me back the name of the supervisor. So the supervisor calls me and I asked him how he established that my dog was a pitbull without ever having seen him. First he said I put it on the app. I said no way, UNKNOWN MIX. So then he said oh someone called the vet. I said I would follow up with that but I didn't think they would communicate with a third party about my dog without my consent. I told him to send his explaination via email.

Then I get on the phone with the Animal Hospital. The receptionist tells me they do disclose info and that I signed the consent. I asked her to fax me a copy of the consent because I was never given a copy. She agreed to. I also asked her for the name of the Vet that disclosed the opinion. She said there was no note in the file indicating that there had been a third party info request. She further stated she didn't think there would have to be. I told her I wanted the name of the Vet that spoke with the City. She said she would get back to me. I haven't heard back from her as yet.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

We've avoided registering Daisy for a few years now (on the advice of several vets). Then, one day when my mother-in-law was visiting, the doorbell rang. Of course, Daisy, wanting to see who it was, went barking to the door. It was animal control, checking to see if we had a dog. Needless to say, she had her answer. Seems the people who lived there before us had one, and when a license wasn't purchased in the previous year, they go door to door. Anyway, my mother-in-law just said Rotti-mix. They seemed content with that (I don't know if they even saw the dog).

Do you know what her mix is? We have a pretty good feeling that we coud get our vet to declare her a mutt, without naming pitbull. I don't know if it's too late for you, but I would maybe check with your vet, see if they will do the same.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

IMHO, please don't get upset... But I have a hard time understanding why pit bull owners are afraid to say that they have one. I think it's a little irresponsible, that's just me. I never hid behind the fact that she's a pit. She's registered as a pit, the vet knows that she is and her microchip says that she's a pit bull. I may have to face uncertain scrutiny about it, but I'm not ashamed and do not hide it.
People ask what kind of dog she is and knowing the reaction I will get, I tell them the truth.
I just find it kinda hurtful that people stand up and stay how proud they are about their pitties and then turn around and play games about their breed, as if they're embarassed. Please don't be upset, I just want to understand, why!?!?
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:52 AM

animal services is saying they don't accept "mutt"

"we require the best guess at the primary and secondary breeds that your dog looks like in order to properly register your dog."

- Eletta Purdy, Manager
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:54 AM

i won't get upset

for me, right now, the issue is muzzle/constant leash or no muzzle/constant leash. the other issue is the what is a pit bull anyway issue and who decides.

Last edited by Dukieboy; November 2nd, 2004 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling, again
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Animal Service do accept a dominant breed cross. Therefore your dog would be a pit bull cross, am I right?
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Sammie I don't think that the people here are embarrassed by the breed. I think in most cases they are trying to protect their dogs from wearing muzzles and all the rest of the crap that comes from MB. If you can and I probably would find some way that my dog would not have to be muzzled I would lie to. Sorry but that is the way I feel. At least they are not dumping their dogs like so many others and the law has not passed yet. You know it is amazing how fast this is happening and when they were trying to get Holly's Law passed that took longer, I guess they have their priorities don't they.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:59 AM

my dog is a mix of at least two breeds, his parents parents were also mixed.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukieboy
for me, right now, the issue is muzzle/constant leash or no muzzle/constant leash. the other issue is the what is a pit bull anyway issue and who decides.
You're absolutely right that the vet had no right to put that information without concent from you. I agree 110%.

You're also right that there are many issues. I too have to face the possiblilty that we cannot rent anywhere other then where we are living right now, until we buy.. my dog has to face muzzle laws too... but lying about her breed, or side stepping around it seems to be a little irrepsonsible, that's all.
It's apparent even right here that this imposing ban is forcing responsible owners to act as criminals....it's very sad.

I was simply wondering, please don't be upset.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I haven't registered mine yet either. I don't even know how. My dad used to wait for the animal control officers to come around. So how can I go about doing it? Can I do it over the internet, through fax, phone? Or do I physically have to go and do it? And where ofcourse? Im in T.O.

I know I should have registered him but I haven't got around to it. I always tell people hes a pit its kinda hard not too. But I have said poodle as a joke on numerous occasions. Usually people just ask when they already know so they can be dramatic and back up and scowl at you.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Here's registration information City of Toronto
Here are locations throughout Toronto
Locations

Added: Please do it soon. If you're to lose your dog within the next couple months and it's not registered, your chances of getting him back are slim!
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:07 AM
<-----nut ball

If you are in scarborough, they have a place to register over by the STC (scarborough town centre) in the municiple buildings there. I forget which one though. Otherwise, the animal shelter on Progress, you can register there (I grew up in Scarborough)
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

It's also a very good idea to have you dog fixed microchipped, if he's not already. It's a little extra upfront but MUCH more added security should he lose his tags, AND when he is registered you can get a life time registration with a microchip and being fixed. (At least in my area.) IF they don't give lifetime registration - it's only 10 bucks a year compared to 50!
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:12 AM

I was simply wondering, please don't be upset.[/QUOTE]

I'm not upset. Really. The only people i'm peed at are these folks that work in animal care who seem to be real insensitive to the issue and the difference one phone call or opinion can make in the life of a dog these days. I wouldn't ask the Vet to lie. Just to be wise with the truth. As I said, my dog has at least three breeds in his mix. His parents weren't pure and neither were thier parents.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you posted pictures of him here somewhere?
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiec
IMHO, please don't get upset... But I have a hard time understanding why pit bull owners are afraid to say that they have one. I think it's a little irresponsible, that's just me. I never hid behind the fact that she's a pit. She's registered as a pit, the vet knows that she is and her microchip says that she's a pit bull. I may have to face uncertain scrutiny about it, but I'm not ashamed and do not hide it.
People ask what kind of dog she is and knowing the reaction I will get, I tell them the truth.
I just find it kinda hurtful that people stand up and stay how proud they are about their pitties and then turn around and play games about their breed, as if they're embarassed. Please don't be upset, I just want to understand, why!?!?
No offense taking. The one vet's response was, "People around here are idiots. If anything happens within 10 blocks of your house, yours is the first door they will go to". We aren't embarrassed or ashamed, we just are tired of dealing with it, and we are afraid of what may happen if there is ever a problem in our neighbourhood. Daisy likes to do this gutteral thing when she's playing, and it sounds like a growl. Let's be honest, if someone decides to call the township, and they see "Rotti X", thier reaction will be different than if they see "Pitbull X". It's sad, but true. In our old neighbourhood, everyone loved her. In our new neighbourhood, most of the neighbours haven't met her (or us). We like to fight the good fight, but to be honest, I'd as soon as take it to the people, rather than have it brought to us.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Yep Im a scarbarian and I know which shleter on Progress and Markham right? Thanks and I think the STC one is the triangle building. Thanks guys.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:21 AM

OMG grumbling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
Daisy likes to do this gutteral thing when she's playing, and it sounds like a growl. .
My Dukie makes that noise when he greets us. Its called grumbling and is quite common. He does it when he is coming down the stairs and then his little bum wiggles wiggles wiggles. Your right unless advised, most people would think it was a growl.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I know all to well what you're saying Schwinn. I too deal with it all the time... I just don't hide from it...I often fear that neighbours might try and feed her something poisonous, or are plotting against us... I have not received one complaint from the building manager, but that doesn't mean there are none.

My dog growls and bites as she plays too, but I don't find those excuses to say that she's a boxer, not a pit bull... that's all I was saying.

We obviously have different views on how to handle the situation. I'm perfectly fine with that, as long as your comfortable. But I personally don't find that I am doing her any justice by hiding behind a mistruth saying that she's something she's not. IF she's a mix and the dominant breed was something else, I would probably go with that as well.

I am in now way saying that you're bad dog owners I am just curious about why you would take that stance... that's all. I'm honestly not trying to start anything here... I keep repeating that, I know, but it's hard to convey your thoughts properly through internet...
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I know what you're saying Sammie. Part of me agrees as well. I mean, we keep telling people how great pitbulls are, yet our actions seem to say something different. She has the markings of a rottwieller, except for the brindle on her legs. So we aren't fibbing, just telling half the truth. When we're out and talking about dogs, we often tell people she's a pitbull. Or if we go for a walk, one of our favourite games is when people come up and go, "Awww...she's sweet! What kind of a dog is she?", we usually let them pet her, and let them get a good tongue-bath. Then, when they are COMPLETELY enamoured, we tell them. Basically, when we can control the situation, we will mention it. Also, we're having a real problem with her being fearful of other dogs when she's on her leash, and she becomes VERY aggressive (last night, my wife described her as acting "like a maniac"). She won't attack, it's her way of saying "stay away, I'm mean" to other dogs because she's afraid of them (we checked with the vet, who explained it.) Which is funny in a way, because I've seen her do that to dogs, then later meet them off of her leash, and she's fine. Another reason we're afraid of people around us knowing about the pitbull part. In our last house we did the same thing, then once the neighbourhood gets to know her, we let them know. We couldn't keep the kids away from her! Once everyone knew, I actually couldn't convince my neighbour she was pit!

As I said, I've seen and heard the awful things people do and say when they find out a dog a is a pitbull. I'd rather avoid that and educate them on friendly terms. I think we are a little unique in that we can do that since so many people don't recognize the pit in her (except other pitbull owners!). It's also very effective when people decide she's a great dog before they find out she's a pit!
Old November 2nd, 2004, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
I know what you're saying Sammie. Part of me agrees as well. I mean, we keep telling people how great pitbulls are, yet our actions seem to say something different.
That's EXACTLY what I mean!! I guess it takes a special personality to want to be scolded because of the breed of your dog, or to helpfully give people ammunition against you, but I honestly would feel guilty for trying to prevent her from being what she is.

I am NOT ashamed whatsoever that I have a pit bull. I think they are the greatest and most loyal breed there is. I don't think I could live one day knowing that I let these people take that away from me; these idiots that know nothing about my dog nor the breed for that matter. I LOVE the fact that people know that she's a pit bull and even if they say stuff about us as we walk away. It takes one time for them to see us playing with a child that is laughing as they are covered in licks, and maybe they just might understand a little.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Please don't get me wrong. I am by no means ashamed of her. I use her as an example of the breed. One of my favourite sayings is when people say, "Yea, well Daisy's fine, but most pitbulls aren't", I reply with, "How come, then, so far everything she does matches what I've read and been told by experts, but I haven't seen anything that the newspapers talk about?" I tend to worry and have a temper, and if I don't have to worry about someone knocking on the door, so much the better. I don't need the stress of being in a confrontation if I'm trying to enjoy a walk with my wife. I'm the type of person that will feel angry about it for an hour afterwards. If I'm going through the drive through, I'll tell people what she is. I'll usually be talking about pitbulls at least once a week. I often like to tell people how our "vicious breed" wouldn't go outside the other day, because it was afraid of the cat in the backyard.

Like I said, I understand your frustration. We aren't ashamed, and we don't back down from defending her breed. We just don't want the hassles that the vet warned us about (I spent a couple of nights not sleeping just because I was afraid of the ban, and what could happen), and we prefer to educate people on our terms. That, and, I'm sorry to say, I was once against pitbulls myself. I always believed any dog could be mean or nice, but they made me nervous. So when someone else doesn't understand, I can appreciate that. Then when they refuse to understand, I chalk it up to being stupid.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I called my vet as soon as I read this and he said "that is a breach of confidentuality and you should contact the ontario veterniary medical assocation) Iaam in toronto but I would think the same rules apply. I would definatly cantact them thoe. That is just not right!
Old November 3rd, 2004, 10:24 AM

thx

thx for the post. I am just waiting for a written explanation from the Animal Hospital.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 02:18 PM

Interesting thread. I agree that if your vet spoke with animal control they should have contacted you before disclosing any information. Having said that I know I once found a loose collie/lab cross and called the rabies tag number and the receptionist was very quick to give me the dogs breed type before I even described her so I expect they are not used to treating this information as confidential. Sad but true, I also think that if I had a pit bull I was licensing now I would be sorely tempted to put lab/boxer mix on the application. While I would never be ashamed to have a pit bull if telling a lie no matter how big a whopper would save him or her from wearing a muzzle and a leash everywhere for the rest of his/her life I would do it. Of course I fully believe that most of our resources should be put into fighting this ridiculous ban legally first.

Mel
Old November 3rd, 2004, 02:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I see your point. I would love to say that I can prevent her from having to wear a muzzle. I may buy one and only use it while on the building property (can't afford to loose my apt b/c of some idiot), and then keep it "handy" while we're out. Kinda like speeding, you don't do it when there's cops around right... (well, I do ).

I honestly am not sure how to handle the impending law. I would love to say I will never make her wear one, but the sad reality is that she will HAVE to wear one sometimes should this pass. :sad:

BUT I think under this law -- if it looks like a pit and walks like a pit... regardless of what YOUR vet has on record... :sad:
Old November 3rd, 2004, 02:31 PM

I think with things the way they are now I am going to have to challange the disclosure and the opinion. When I brought Duke in for his first exam, shots etc when he was a pup I wasn't asked about his background or breed. So basically, they assigned his breed and basically assigned a breed that is a collection of a number of breeds. I am not impressed with the science here. You would think a very busy animal clinic in the centre of Toronto would be sensitive to this stuff.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiec
I see your point. I would love to say that I can prevent her from having to wear a muzzle. I may buy one and only use it while on the building property (can't afford to loose my apt b/c of some idiot), and then keep it "handy" while we're out. Kinda like speeding, you don't do it when there's cops around right... (well, I do ).

I honestly am not sure how to handle the impending law. I would love to say I will never make her wear one, but the sad reality is that she will HAVE to wear one sometimes should this pass. :sad:

BUT I think under this law -- if it looks like a pit and walks like a pit... regardless of what YOUR vet has on record... :sad:
I have started getting Duke used to a haltie. He wears it for the short morning walk. If its passed the haltie will be the muzzle till I'm told otherwise. Two of my neighbours don't like Duke because of ... well you know why. It has nothing to do with his behavior. I am sure they are following this legislation as closely as I am.
Old December 29th, 2004, 02:49 PM

UPDATE - Dog License

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would update. After letters back and forth to both the City and The Vet Clinic it was established that the Clinic did venture the breed opinion however recognized this was an error. Animal Services also recognized they had no authority to telephone my Vet Clinic. Duke is now registered as a LabX. Just a layer of protection in case Bryant succeeds. According to my new Vet, he contacted his regulatory body around breed identification and was advised that the owner is in the best position to identify the dog's breed.
Old December 29th, 2004, 02:55 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Congrats!