Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old November 2nd, 2004, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

In the legislature yesterday

Don't totally understand the procedure of "petition". I'm off to read about it in the legislature...

Mr Tony Ruprecht (Davenport): I have a petition in regard to the banning of pit bulls. It's addressed to the Legislative Assembly of Ontario and it reads as follows:

"Whereas pit bulls are dangerous dogs, responsible for vicious attacks on humans out of all proportion to their numbers; and jurisdictions where bans on pit bulls have been introduced have seen dramatic reductions in pit bull attacks on humans; and community leaders and law enforcement officials all across the province have supported a ban on pit bull ownership;" --

Interjection.

Mr Ruprecht: I wish the member would pay attention to this, because he is next in line.

"We, the undersigned, petition the Legislative Assembly of Ontario to enact legislation banning ownership of pit bulls in the province of Ontario."

Yes, Mr Speaker, I will affix my signature to this petition.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Also from the legislature yesterday...

Tim Hudak, MPP for Erie-Lincoln (PC):The third strike in the week of the ban bonanza, the bonanza of bans that very same week, is pit bulls. Suddenly, the most important law-and-order issue in all of Ontario was to ban pit bulls. Certainly attacks by vicious dogs is something that comes up from time to time. My suggestion would be to raise the negligence penalties against owners of all vicious dogs instead of concentrating on a particular breed. That having been said, I find it curious with the minister's bill that he has put all of the time of his Attorney General's staff, lawyers, and then police officers and municipal enforcement officers, into banning certain breeds of dogs.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Schwinn you are like a little detective there. Im glad though these people are questioning this. He should have mentioned all that its going to cost after the ban goes through not just all the money its costing now. We also need to mention to MPPs the part about police being able to search your house because a neighbour said your dog is menacing. I mean people are automatically scared of my dog and some are just plain scared of dogs. How many calls are they gonna get from people who just don't want them around period. What a waste of our countries resources.

In my building people get pi%@ed when they see me walking down the hall with my dog, like I shouldn't be there. Those are the same people out of fear that will call the police. I don't care what the law says the police are not welcome in my house if there is no reason unless my dog has threatened someone or biten. I mean I am not a criminal. And i think if we point this out more to fellow dog owners then there willl be an outcry. There are so many clauses in this bill that people don't even know about.